Your E-Book Is Reading You

HardOCP News

[H] News
I think you might be surprised just how much info your e-reader collects about you and what is actually done with that info. :eek:

In the past, publishers and authors had no way of knowing what happens when a reader sits down with a book. Does the reader quit after three pages, or finish it in a single sitting? Do most readers skip over the introduction, or read it closely, underlining passages and scrawling notes in the margins?

Makes sense to me. If you've read over some of the feature and looked around on the Amazon Kindle website (for example and from my experience), this should be kind of obvious. There is actually an option to turn off the public highlighting functionality for example on the Kindle. I would say making it slightly more obvious what information may be shared wouldn't be a bad idea.

This doesn't really bother me. It's kind of like hitting the Like button on YouTube videos you like and someone trending that so they can figure out what kind of video to make next...

I don't understand why people feel the need to be excluded from anonymized (is that a word?) metrics for things like YouTube, Kindle, and other entertainment services.

I don't understand why people feel the need to be excluded from anonymized (is that a word?) metrics for things like YouTube, Kindle, and other entertainment services.

1) It's another unnecessary data transfer
2) It's creepy
3) Who knows if it's actually anonymous?
4) Why should I give them free information when they charge more for ebooks than paperback copies?

2) It's creepy
4) Why should I give them free information when they charge more for ebooks than paperback copies?

Two and three in particular, but yeah, all this stuff.

They don't need to know all this crap. The world worked perfectly fine without it before, it can work without it now. Let them in there, and soon they will want to know whats in your damn fridge. There was talk of microtagging of things like clothing allowing a store scanner to detect what brand of clothing you're wearing, including size, down to your underwear. Do you want other people in your life to that degree, because I most certainly do not.

I find it offensive.

Being unpredictable is probably in our collective best interest. Once humanity is "solved", I don't envision very great things coming out of it

2) It's creepy

I wouldn't be surprised if employers or the government can get their hand on this information.:eek:

My only issue with something like this, and the reason that to me it's far different then a "like" button on youtube, is that people don't pay for a e-reader so they can become part of some market survey.

2) It's creepy

Definitely creepy....I take that back, not "creepy" so much as "stalker-ish".

hit post by mistake.

I wanted to add, that I have no problem with this "feature" being opt in, but just a blanket "well you bought a nook so we have the right to colllect this data on your is BS.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should. Classic example right here IMO.

I have a kindle, but I'm not sure they CAN track me, even if they wanted to. I have an old keyboard wifi version (no 3G) on which I always keep the wifi off (it sucks down battery). To put books on the kindle, I download them from Amazon to my computer. And once on my computer, I transfer them to the kindle. The kindle doesn't access the internet while it's plugged in, I don't believe. If it did, my firewall should be going off. I've never granted this permission.

Recently I've only plugged it in to charge, but I don't need to plug it into the computer to do that. Interestingly, I noted that the newer kindles do not come with the wall plug for charging. You have to now purchase it separately. I got mine with the device. Could this be to encourage you to plug it into the computer?

I was curious why they stopped selling the non 3G version of the keyboard. I guess I know why now. It costs them money!

What self respecting artist would change their work to suit the big data findings of the dumb masses?

Meh, I already assumed that was the case which is why I have a rooted nook instead of a kindle even though I have prime. Nook: Easy to root and the media player is miles ahead of the kindle.

If they have an opt out option, ok.
If I get some kind of discount for giving up this information, ok.
If it's just so they can find new ways to spam me with ads to increase their bottom line, not ok.

Because I have a right to be private if I want to. The only people who need to know every aspect of my private life is my wife and kids. Everyone else can go screw themselves. I swear, the more things that get hooked into data collection and marketing, the more I want to unplug my life and move to the sticks.

hit post by mistake.

I wanted to add, that I have no problem with this "feature" being opt in, but just a blanket "well you bought a nook so we have the right to colllect this data on your is BS.

Then no one would opt in.

Or... we might actually learn what the value of the "Opt In" status is worth to those that want to collect this sort of data! Technology has allowed us to give away far too much of our freedom and liberty "for free" to those that would take advantage for no cost. We pay a premium for the added convenience afforded by new technological advancement while at the same time allowing these intrusions. I am all for the conveniences, but I'd like to either maintain my privacy or get fair value for what is compromised. I know, unrealistic, but there it is for you to consider.

NOTE: An appropriate discussion for the fourth of July holiday week!

Then no one would opt in.

hit post by mistake.

My only issue with something like this, and the reason that to me it's far different then a "like" button on youtube, is that people don't pay for a e-reader so they can become part of some market survey.

Back