Your drive setup

tgabe213

2[H]4U
I have been away from the scene for a while now and back then, it was a best practice to put OS on its own drive and other high IO things like VM's on another drive. Is this still applicable with modern SSD's?

I'm about to assemble a new desktop build and I already have one 500gb Samsung 850 Evo sata ssd. My primary usage is as a developer workstation with Visual Studio and VM's, and gaming tossed in there too. Would it be worth it to get a NMVe M.2 for OS? Looking to spend only around 150 or so. Perhaps a 256GB would suffice here.

Here's my motherboard.
https://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=9SIABB74D74109

Actually today's SSD's are much faster and more reliable. I have my OS on my SSD along with other video editing programs. My games are on a platter drive and my Media on another platter drive. You can use the M2 drive for just the OS and use the 512mb SSD for your Visual Studio and VM's and games.

You'll see a huge speed boost over platter drives and load times. Sweet board choice! ;)

Actually today's SSD's are much faster and more reliable. I have my OS on my SSD along with other video editing programs. My games are on a platter drive and my Media on another platter drive. You can use the M2 drive for just the OS and use the 512mb SSD for your Visual Studio and VM's and games.

You'll see a huge speed boost over platter drives and load times. Sweet board choice! ;)

Thanks! Why do you have games/editing on platter? Based on your very first sentence, it sounded like you were going to suggest just putting it all on the same drive, but then it circled back around to my original thoughts.

Edit: HTH do I change my signature? Can't find anything in my profile page...

I have a 480GB drive and run my main (Linux) and a VM for games (Windows) with everything except media stored there. I have a 2TB HDD with movies and music.

Really just depends on how much space you need and whether you can afford that much SSD. I can't see going with less then 256GB due to the performance fall-off with smaller drives. If I was building from scratch I might think about a 256 ssd for OS/VM/"My Documents" and then a cheaper/less performant large ssd for games.

Thanks! Why do you have games/editing on platter? Based on your very first sentence, it sounded like you were going to suggest just putting it all on the same drive, but then it circled back around to my original thoughts.

Edit: HTH do I change my signature? Can't find anything in my profile page...

The platter drives I got for free. The 2TB Toshiba red drive is where I have my games. The 300gb velociraptor I have my media (movies) on. Only difference I saw when I used my SSD was faster load times with my games. I don't need faster load times with my games, but I do need the larger drives for games. I torrent my media so 300gb is more than enough as I delete movies after I watch em twice.

As for signature: go to the upper right of your page below "alerts". You'll see like a bracket. Get your mouse pointer of that and you'll see "open quick navigation". Click that and you'll get to your profile to edit signature.

I've currently got the following drive setup:

Primary (C:\) - Seagate 600 480GB
...OS, primary/productivity applications, etc.

Secondary (D:\) - Crucial MX200 1TB
...purely for Steam, GOG, UPlay, and Origin games as well as storing any misc stuff before I move it to my external hdd/flash drives.

Used to have a 256GB primary and the Seagate as secondary, but I kept running out of room on the primary.

I do have a 3.5" hot-plug chassis that fits in a 5.25" bay, but I've really found no need for it since external USB 3.0 enclosures are quite inexpensive lately.

I run one 500gb SSD on my desktop.

Any bulk storage goes on the server in the laundry room, which has one 128gb SSD and eight 2tb drives in RAID6.

I have a 10gb direct connection between the two.

Back