Your BT slowdown after SP2?

mjz_5

2[H]4U
HI:

Just wondering if you noticed slowdowns in Bittorrent after you installed windows xp service pack 2? For some reason, i am not downloading and uploading as fast. Plus, it seems to be killing my connection, can't even surf when it is download/uploading at only 5k/s :(..

Check your event log, but go to control panel, administrative tools and event viewer.
Look for 4226 errors. If you have a lot, it's because SP2 limits the number of TCP connections. This feature is there for a reason, and if I understand it right, it's so that if your machine does become infected by a trojan or virus, it limits you as a zombie box by limiting your connections. You can go here to download a patch to fix this, but as with all tweaking of an OS, run at your own risk.

SP2 limits the number of INCOMPLETE TCP connections. i.e. you send a connection request to a server, but it never replies to actually set up the connection.

The reason for doing this was to prevent a infected machine from causing a DoS attack.

However, due to the nature of BT it can make a LOT of incomplete connections which will in some cases exceed the limit.

Back