your best gaming memories?

King's Quest 5. Just got a brand new PC with a Sound Blaster Clone. To see a game in 256 glorious colors and FM synthesis beauty over the PC speaker. Words cannot describe the awe. Unfortunately, this is a step up in technology that most people today will never be able to experience. The jump from 16 to 256 colors and mono speaker to 8 bit sound for a generation of computer games is greater in terms of difference than any evolution of computers/video games since then.

Ultima 7. Just got my Roland MT-32 unit. Spent a half hour configuring a boot disk to get the game working. Then to hear The Guardian jump out of the screen with the word "Avatar..." and to jump into the best CRPG of all time and see a dismembered body 10 seconds into the game... It's ashame no RPG has even come close to the pure awesomeness that was Ultima 7 (and it's semi Sequel, Serpent Isle).

In school, Carmen Sandiego on the Apple ][ as well as Oregon Trail and Zany Golf (a really fun game back when EA was a reputable company).

UT99. Well, actually the demo. Coret Facility. Had a cable connection and SLI Voodoo 2's. Fragging funness.

Quake 2 on Mplayer......used a rocket on the wall, the blast threw the players body and kill someone else coming out of a doorway on the other side of the board. Two kills one rocket....chatted with the guy that came through the door, said he looked up and saw the body flying coming right for him, next thing he was dead.

Silent Hill, Resident Evil II and Resident Evil III: Nemesis.

To me, three of the greatest games ever made that all had incredible and palpable atmospheres, and really did the greatest justice to their particular genre.

My favorite gaming memory: Half Life 2.

I played the original through, and loved it. When the second was announced, I went to town and built a brand new, top of the line gaming rig (which is now outdated lol) just for that game.

I'm pretty sure I stayed up for about 2 days straight playing that game, much to the hatred of my roomate at college.

I've played through HL2 several times now, as well as episode 1, and all I crave is MORE! I cannot wait for episode 2 :D

My second favorite gaming memory: System Shock 2

I played this game at a friends house really late at night, and it scared the shit out of us. On a PII 233Mhz and a 16MB video card :p

One of the greatest gaming memories for me was when I purchased a Diamond Monster 3DFX card. I got home, installed the card, downloaded glquake and then installed it.

and then it happened..... I got to behold the glory that was GLQUAKE!!!!!!!

After that everything changed, I was hooked on graphics.

the first Resident Evil, no game like it at the time (minus alone in the dark) I remember the first time I played it and the dog jumped through the window in the hallway, scared the hell out of me!

Tie Fighter: When you fly out in the Tie Interceptor and the Admiral turns traitor. What an utterly insane mission.

When the hype train for Oblivion was catching steam, i decided to find out what the big deal was and why everyone was so excited. I picked up Morrowind and spent a few months completely immersed in that world. It was my first RPG, and my first open ended sandbox type of game. It was intimidating at first but i was blown away at how huge the world was. There was a small island where i decided to just roam and admire the view, and it was amazing to me at the time that i could actually do that. I was really impressed by the main quest storyline and how joining different factions affected what happened in other factions. I of course bought Oblivion the day it came out.

Remembered this last night and had to share it:

My fav. Diablo II moment of all time!

Playing a LAN game with 3 of my friends- We were all playing in the same room, but didn't know what characters the other was playing. We couldn't find Charlie, so asked what he was.

"I'm a Barbarian," he said.

"No your not," another friend replied, "you're a fat man infront of a keyboard.":D

Needless to say we laughed non stop for a couple of hours after that.

lets see...

I remember sneaking onto the mainframe in high school and playing Zork...text baby. and all that paper :eek:

then much later it was TES: Arena and TES: Daggerfall.i loved the puzzles and open design of the game...the biggest attraction for me concerning The Elder Scrolls i also clearly remember when Doom was first released and I tied up the home phone line for hours...by then it was too late. i had a room full of components and the cover never went back on my computer...

yeah, im old(er) so what :p

Undying, and getting the Scythe when going back in time to the old Monastery.

Hearing my first Quake 2 grenades clinking down the hallway of that big twin silo's map in the Lithium mod. Man, that game rocked so hard. Quake 2 railgun is still the coolest of all time, even today.

Gonna get teary here...

Jedi Knight multiplayer back around 97 at a friend's office. I was 15 at the time, he was 17, and happened to have a rich daddy who gave him his own computer business that he ran into the ground.

First new computer in the house in 8 years in 1999...an Aptiva with a K6-2/400. Went out and got an issue of PC Gamer, a magazine I hadn't bothered with in years, and stuck in the demo CD. Had some demo called "half-life uplink". Never looked back.

Upgraded said computer with a PCI Voodoo 3 3000 in '00, at the same time I installed Diablo 2. Never as pretty and smooth as with Glide.

Occasional LAN parties, but ever since the beginning of the century, things never seemed to improve. The whole "underground" of PC gaming first became more mainstream, then ruined by it. Same thing happened with Role-Playing games, Collectible Card games, etc. Hate to get sidetracked here.

Way Back:
Playing Taipan on my Apple II e. Simple pirate game set in the Orient. What fun!
Also playing the "all black" Atari 2600...PacMan, Combat, Asteroids and Berzerk were my favorites.

Back:
Got our first PC (486 Gateway 2000) and I bought Commander Keen. Pretty cheesy looking back, but at the time it was great. Also got Prince of Persia and thought that was the funnest game I'd ever played...little did I know...

Went to college and played MUDs, and then my roomie bought Command and Conquer. We played that game for HOURS with a friend of mine on a dial-up modem. Bought UnDying (Clive Barker game) and jumped more times than I care to admit. Red Alert also.

More recently: Got HalfLife and was blown away. What a great game. Played all the add-on games (Blue Shift, etc). Then was in the world of TFC for a long time. And then on to CS, and finally BF2. Bought Doom3 and again...jumped more times than I care to admit.

Future: Looking at this game: http://www.ifilm.com/video/2835146?ns=1

A Couple spring to mind.

My first deathmatch ever, was with two computers hooked up through a serial cable playing Doom2 for about 8 hours non stop on the 1st level. After a few hours we knew the level so well we could pinpoint the other's location just by the light coming out from the monitor reflected on the face.

Anyway this one time, we both met on the big room in that level. Both went through all the shotgun and pistol ammo without scoring a kill. Then at the same time out come both chainsaws. We must have spent about 2 minutes lunging and dodging before I could land the killing blow. That was the biggest adrenaline rush I ever got from a computer game (the whole building must have heard me celebrate)

Another classic was in half life death match. Once I spawned just in front a friend. He immediately starts shooting and running after me. First weapon i pick up is a trip bomb so I just stick one to a wall before going around a corner... into a dead end. He stops just short of the laser and shouts from across the room 'You'll have to come out some time'. 1 second later I pop out and hit the bomb with a pistol shot, making it explode and blowing my friend into little pieces. He just sat there completely silent for about 10 seconds looking at the monitor.

Playing SC at a lan party 3v3. Great battles back n forth, but the other team left me alone. Low and behold, I had gone all Ultralisks and when they came out along with a bit of air support from my partners, it was the beginning of the end.

best gaming memory:

x-mas morning: nintendo under the tree. duck hunt
Zelda: a link to the past- found out i was only half way through the game when the world change
Final fantasy 7-when Aerith die, i was damn it. i spend a few hours just leveling up the party. also fighting the two special boss- emerald and ruby
Mortal Kombat Trilogy- finally able to play as the bosses
Gran Turismo- playing the game until i found out there was a limit on how much car you can own.
Rage Racer-Memorizing every track(only 4 i believe) and which car fit each track.
Age of Empire-Compaq p200 w/4mb of video memory. talk about graphics. that then hook into rts. i remember playing the demo for almost a month.
Finally owning a super nintendo- finally able to play super street fighter 2
Final fantasy 7-wait a whole year for the us release. first game i ever pre-order it. also the most expensive game, cost me 80 bucks.

Arcade:
I remember dumping quarters into Star Wars and Battlezone religiously. Seeing Dragon's Lair for the first time and being amazed with the cartoon graphics. And then financing Atari for at least a year with quarters into Cyberball. Mild interest in Track and Field. Don't forget your pencil.

Ohhh my. Cyberball. Comes out on XBLA 1st week of September. I'm so there.

Home console:
Getting the Atari 2600 of course ment hours of Pitfall.

Nintendo: Double Dribble.

Fast forward to PC gaming. I think really the most exciting moment for me was getting my epic skittle stick quest for Mages done in EQ. This was back before they upped the drop rate and lowered the difficulty in POH. Weekend raiding in POA (unless you could finance, much less find a necro bridge).

When the last piece (staff in POH ) dropped for me, I literally jumped outta my seat and ran around the house laughing and screaming.

I've never had that again.

This list is a chronological story of my gaming experience to this point in time:

• Being the first kid in my school to get a nintendo - everyone else got it once it came with the zapper
  • Playing the first co-op game I ever played with my best friend for hours on end on NES - Super Contra
  • All of my friends buying Cobra Triangle for the NES and calling each other non stop at all hours to find out how far we each were
  • Having RBI baseball tourneys on the NES
  • Discovering girls and neglecting my games
  • Rediscovering games in college and neglecting girls
  • Borrowed a guy on my dorm floor's copy of half life and used it to download and install Counterstrike - the half life and mods on my steam account today can still be traced back to that guy's half life. I've never bought half life or any of the mods. I still have his cd key written in a notebook.
  • Turning all of my friends onto CS and staying up all night to play during the betas
  • Getting serious about counterstrike and attending byoc lans up and down the east coast
  • Attending and competing at CPL summer 2k3
  • Realizing neglected girlfriends don't like counterstrike and WILL LEAVE if you really don't cut back
  • Being glad she left
  • Getting married to an awesome woman who accepts and appreciates "her gamer" enough to buy him half life 2 and quake 4 on subsequent birthdays
  • playing half life 2 non stop for an entire Christmas break
  • Becoming a school teacher and using gaming as a tool to connect and develop relationships with students that other teachers deemed "troublesome"
  • Discovering how much fun prank phone calls over ventrilo really are

My first day playing SW:G, thinking it was the coolest game ever (it was during their first free 14 day trial when alot of people were signing up)

that and playing games on my dad's 8086...good times :)

My favorite moment was shooting an AC-130 down with a SCUD missile in Desert Combat (the Battlefield 1942 mod) at a LAN with about 20 other people in the server.

I happened to be pointing the right direction when I saw the guy flying quite a distance away. I adjusted the angle a little and fired. I nailed the plane dead on right as the missile was at the top of its arc. The whole room started laughing when they saw who was shot down and with what.

Most of my best gaming memories are from Everquest and WoW pvp.. I remember once in EQ, zoning into a dungeon where a group from a rival guild was xping, and wiping out 4 of 5 of them single handedly, fun times..

This list is a chronological story of my gaming experience to this point in time:

• Being the first kid in my school to get a nintendo - everyone else got it once it came with the zapper
  • Playing the first co-op game I ever played with my best friend for hours on end on NES - Super Contra
  • All of my friends buying Cobra Triangle for the NES and calling each other non stop at all hours to find out how far we each were
  • Having RBI baseball tourneys on the NES
  • Discovering girls and neglecting my games
  • Rediscovering games in college and neglecting girls
  • Borrowed a guy on my dorm floor's copy of half life and used it to download and install Counterstrike - the half life and mods on my steam account today can still be traced back to that guy's half life. I've never bought half life or any of the mods. I still have his cd key written in a notebook.
  • Turning all of my friends onto CS and staying up all night to play during the betas
  • Getting serious about counterstrike and attending byoc lans up and down the east coast
  • Attending and competing at CPL summer 2k3
  • Realizing neglected girlfriends don't like counterstrike and WILL LEAVE if you really don't cut back
  • Being glad she left
  • Getting married to an awesome woman who accepts and appreciates "her gamer" enough to buy him half life 2 and quake 4 on subsequent birthdays
  • playing half life 2 non stop for an entire Christmas break
  • Becoming a school teacher and using gaming as a tool to connect and develop relationships with students that other teachers deemed "troublesome"
  • Discovering how much fun prank phone calls over ventrilo really are
ownage :)

as for me.

Final Fantasy X...especially when i beat the game and saw the ending....omg prolly has one of the best endings ever....i miss it :(

Counter-Strike/ TFC ....countless hours of online fun....or it used to be..

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time... need i say more about this game?

gaming isn't as fun as the good olden days.. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Best memory is of me and my bestfriend sneaking into our locale college computer lab when we were about 13 years old thinking we could pass ourselves off as students, just to play M.U.D. (Realms of the Dragon) for hours on end until some admin tossed us out. Then sneaking back into another lab and doing it all over again :)

One holiday break we played from 8am-8pm and for sometimes afterwards we would say what we were about to do before we did it...Kick Icicle...haha great times.

and for you kiddies out there M.U.D. was the original MMORPG. (only without all the pretty graphics)

I used to be addicted to NES when I was kid, especially Dragon Warrior. I have probably logged more hours in that game than any other game I've ever played and I was probably 6-7 yeras old.

Favorite all time gaming memory would have to be playing Ninja Turtles 3 for NES with my friend, we never beat it but always got right to the end.

Duke Nukem 3d over modem
Warcraft 1 & 2 over modem
Starcraft, TA
Donkey Kong Country (snes)
Getting my first 3dfx card and playing quake 2 and couldn't believe how good the graphics were

Playing Longbow 2 with my friend. I would alway be the weapons officer and he would be the pilot (go figure, I'm in flight school now).

Definately Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight. Again with the same friend. I would design the levels and he would be the cog writer. We made a castle and he had to write the code for having a door act like a drawbridge. Also we had a catapult that you could jump on it, hit the button, and if you jumped at the right time you could land on one of the ledges in the castle. Jump too early and you slam into the wall, jump too late and you fly over the castle and die. It was great.

The best level I made was just a bunch of walkways floating in the cloud city background. Then we would get the grappling hook and you could just jump from platform to platform and swing around. If you missed you would fall into oblivion. It was called Batman's Heaven. Man that was fun.

Many, many more...

[*]Getting married to an awesome woman who accepts and appreciates "her gamer" enough to buy him half life 2 and quake 4 on subsequent birthdays

Ditto. My wife has bought me HL2, FEAR, Brother in Arms, and is ok with me being in a clan. and oh yeah Crysis will be a gift too. I guess in some respects I am easy to buy for.

Playing Doom in broad daylight when I was around 8 years old and being scared shitless.

Playing all of the "classics" when I was a little kid.

Waking up with my face next to the keyboard, looking up to see the WoW login screen, not remembereing what happened, only to find out that I fell asleep during a late night raid.

Getting a Playstation when it came out and being amazed at the amazing gem of technology.

Building my first gaming rig.

Playing all of the different Quake 3 mods.

These are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

playing mechwarrior2 on my old IBM Aptiva, and playing syphon filter on ps1 with my friend, i got owned, but it was still fun

Weekend marathon sesssion finishing HL with my brand new spanking hot TNT2 Ultra and finally killing that giant ugly baby boss in HL.

...That was HL right? :D

When Warcraft II came out I wanted it for christmas and I sneaked a peak at my presents and saw the back side of the Warcraft 2 box and it had a preveiw of another game and i thought it was the other game and was PIST becuase all I talked about was Warcraft 2. When I opened it as saw that it was Warcraft 2 I almost passed out with da joy. Also played it for the next 6 years of me life.

When ff7 came out I played it from start to finish.

Being scared while playing Resident evil.

First time my older brothers let me play Phantasy Star when I was 6.

Traded a kid in my school Battle toads for Chrono Trigger becuase he didn't know how to play an rpg and he thought the game sucked.....best trade ever.

When shining Force 3 came out for the saturn it was a 3 part game and only the first part came to america......I was so fucking pist, but bought the imports 5 years later.

and best memorys of all are the great multiplayer games I play with my friends and family such as; all the mario karts, Golden eye, Worms, Warcraft 3 mauls/TD, and best of all Saturn bomber man 8 players.

Had a moment last night that has earned a place among my greatest gaming memories.

I was playing CS:S in a map that I'd never seen before. I was walking around blindly when I ran up a starcase onto a balcony where 4 T's were standing, shooting into the courtyard below. I moved into firing position, hoping to take 1 out before they killed me, when someone set off a flashbang nearby- I was totally blinded!

I fired wildly while strafing my mouse and moving backwards, hoping to duck back down the stairs. When I could finally see again I discovered that I was miraculously alive, so i ran back out to find all 4 of them dead- I had killed all 4 of them while ocmplately blind!:D

Had a moment last night that has earned a place among my greatest gaming memories.

I was playing CS:S in a map that I'd never seen before. I was walking around blindly when I ran up a starcase onto a balcony where 4 T's were standing, shooting into the courtyard below. I moved into firing position, hoping to take 1 out before they killed me, when someone set off a flashbang nearby- I was totally blinded!

I fired wildly while strafing my mouse and moving backwards, hoping to duck back down the stairs. When I could finally see again I discovered that I was miraculously alive, so i ran back out to find all 4 of them dead- I had killed all 4 of them while ocmplately blind!:D

Kills while blind are the best :D

Here are a few:

1. Ikari Warriors at the local Sub Station II with my cousin
2. Double Dragon co-op with friends/cousins
3. Wing Commander IV
4. Using Tanya on Red Alert for the first time

last but not least,

5. Zork on the Apple IIc. I really got sucked into these text games. They were really good.
6. Still playing Galaga against my cousin when he comes back in town. Love that game.

Back