• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Young Overclocker with a Socket A. Gurus welcome!

Joined
Oct 27, 2005
Messages
49
Well, this is my first post on [H]. I'm a long time lurker, and the main [H] website got me interested in this place. I love this forum! But! On to the post.

Right now I'm enjoying a little bit of fun with my Thoroughbred 2600+, and I'd like some advice! "How's my overclock?"

Right now she's sitting on 175MHz, and 12.5x, coming out to 2.150 Ghz. Is this a good overclock? I have a Zalman 7000b ALCU HSF, and I'm wondering how well this heatsink will handle this overclock compared to the stock, and if this OC can go anywhere else.

On a sidenote, I've had some strange issues with my A7N8X-D. Just a few days ago it wouldn't let me touch anything. If I even tried to set the damn thing to it's default, stock settings, the motherboard wouldn't POST. I cleared the CMOS a few times, and each time it was almost as if it was telling me to just leave it with the stock motherboard settings. A few days later, running stock asus settings, I went in and fiddled, and wouldn't you know it, the damn thing relaxed a bit so I could actually change something. Odd. Maybe some of you guys have had the same problem.

Right now I'm thinking about just staying with my current setup until the frenzy of SLi, Crossfire, DDR2, and all that crazy stuff calms down. When the dust settles, I'll be looking into getting a nice 64FX, but as of right now, I'm keeping it the way she is to save myself some heartache.

turbineS-line
 
2.15ghz when 2.08ghz is stock is kinda weak bump that shiit up :D

i had a 2600+ tbred b and i was able to unlock the multis on it and overclocked it to 2.3ghz so hopefully that gives you an idea of what kind of goal to set for yourself :)

as for the strange issues it looks like some bios setting wasnt too happy and if it becomes a issue again let us know.

the zalman7000 is a decent cooler for overclocking but it should be good enough for practice

you're using prime95 to test for stability right? well keep us updated on your progress :D
 
Like heero884 said that's not a very big OC. Is that 2600+ CPU locked? if not try lowering
the multiplier and raising the FSB.

10x240fsb ~ 12x200fsb ...... while both = 2.4ghz the 1st will give you better benchmarks because
of the increased bandwidth. With that said, I have worked with several ASUS a7n8x boards
and they aren't very good OCers afraid to say. Even so you should be able to bump that OC up
a bit more if you have good RAM. ....... best of luck. :)

- P. S. - the a7n8x powers the CPU from the +5v rail instead of +12v like most other nForce2 boards.
So make sure your PSU has a nice strong +5v rail when trying to OC the ASUS.
 
Wow! I was almost let down by the lack of reply I got, but this really got me sparked! I'm going to go jump right back into the bios of this thing and rip away! I'll let you guys know how it goes with some more benching and stuff! Thanks so much!

As a sidenote, I completely forgot which board I wanted to pick up for this Socket A.. I believe it was an ABit or something like that. I searched around here and heard it was -the- best Socket A mobo out there. Suggestions completely welcome! I got this ASUS because ASUS was the first motherboard I ever had (Given to me by my biological father), so I really don't know any other companies outside of ASUS, considering this is my first mobo I actually paid for, I find it to be stable, but I also notice I'm growing out of it. I need something a bit more powerful.

Also, if I have problems with the computer not getting to POST, I can just raise the CPU voltage to help the CPU get to POST at the overclocked freq, right? (I read that around here somewhere and I wrote down the "best" voltage for my 2600)

turbineS-line
 
The power supply is an nSpire 450w.

+5V 40A
+12V1 25A
+12V2 X
+3.3V 28A
+5Vsb 2.0A

12V Connectors 4+6

There ya go. =D Listed. If I had one more line to use in my signature, I'd toss it up there. (I'm following the rules. Haha.)
 
I just switched from Abit NF7Sv2 board with 2600+ combo, running 2X256 memory at 11X220. I tried a couple of combinations of 2X512 RAM configuration - but could never get a similar overclock.

I simply couldn't get a good overclock with 2X512 RAM setup. If you have a 2X512 RAM configuration, you may be similarly limited to your current overclock.

As much as I liked that board, that was one of the primary reasons I moved on to a Socket 939 setup.

Hope this helps!
 
turbineS-line said:
Wow! I was almost let down by the lack of reply I got, but this really got me sparked! I'm going to go jump right back into the bios of this thing and rip away! I'll let you guys know how it goes with some more benching and stuff! Thanks so much!

As a sidenote, I completely forgot which board I wanted to pick up for this Socket A.. I believe it was an ABit or something like that. I searched around here and heard it was -the- best Socket A mobo out there. Suggestions completely welcome! I got this ASUS because ASUS was the first motherboard I ever had (Given to me by my biological father), so I really don't know any other companies outside of ASUS, considering this is my first mobo I actually paid for, I find it to be stable, but I also notice I'm growing out of it. I need something a bit more powerful.

Also, if I have problems with the computer not getting to POST, I can just raise the CPU voltage to help the CPU get to POST at the overclocked freq, right? (I read that around here somewhere and I wrote down the "best" voltage for my 2600)

turbineS-line

whats this about the "best" voltage for your 2600? no such thing really exists :p

as for the the best socket a motherboard it would be the abit nf7-s v2 (not the nf7-s2 or the nf7-s) BUT it would NOT be worth it for you to upgrade because the difference would be minimal.

i suggest that if youre going to stick with socket a that you leave everything alone! a socket 754 motherboard and a 2800+ sempron 64 is only $130 and is money well spent compared to any socket a motherboard/cpu/heatsink that you can get (unless you get them free of course :) ) since the goal of overclocking is usually to squeeze more performance out of a setup without spending more money lets try to do that first :)

if you want to fully unleash the potential of your tbred b go find out the stepping code of your cpu (its on the cpu and you have to remove your heatsink) so that we can determine if we can unlock your processor (unlock multiplier adjustment that is)

in case you didnt know, your cpu clock speed is determined by your fsb x cpu mulplier. in your case it is 175 x 12.5 for a cpu frequency of ~2.187 ghz. the reason you want to unlock multiplier adjust is so that you can raise your fsb and ram to higher numbers while keeping your current cpu frequency at the same number. for example if your cpu was unlocked you could do 199 x 11 for a cpu frequence of ~2.189 ghz (or 219x10 if your motherboard and ram can handle it) and your pc would be faster not because your cpu clock speed is higher but because you have more fsb/ram bandwidth.
 
I love you guys! Holy shit!


10x220 !!!

That is about the most I'm going to get, stable. My memory is a little tricky when it comes to reaching 233, which is the furthest this board goes to.

I tightened up my timings to 2.5-3-3-5, for a little extra oomph. I may loosen them up if I try to get 10x233.

Anyone know why, in the BIOS, it doesn't list anything higher than 233?

I popped up my 6800GT, as well.

Old AquaMark3: 48,455
New AquaMark3: 52,438
GPU: 8,177
CPU: 7,402

I was kindof iffy if I wanted to take the dive and start getting really into overclocking. NOW I GOT THE ITCH. SOMEONE FIND ME A DAMN TOASTER TO OVERCLOCK. A KITCHEN SINK. ANYTHING.
 
Right now im running 197x11.5 locked multi on 2600tbred. I just cannot seem to hit 200 ive tried and tried and tried. Runnin 1.85v core really dont think mem is holding me back i think cpu just doesnt like 200 for some reason tried all kinda voltage and mem timings. Mem at 2.5-4-4-7 and its geil value line 2x256. Also running a 9500 Nonpro gettin about 13k in 3dmark01se
 
Justshoe said:
Right now im running 197x11.5 locked multi on 2600tbred. I just cannot seem to hit 200 ive tried and tried and tried. Runnin 1.85v core really dont think mem is holding me back i think cpu just doesnt like 200 for some reason tried all kinda voltage and mem timings. Mem at 2.5-4-4-7 and its geil value line 2x256. Also running a 9500 Nonpro gettin about 13k in 3dmark01se

what kind of 9500np you have? this might be a link of interest for you http://reviews.designtechnica.com/guide13_page1.html
 
Back
Top