• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

You think I will have any issues?

JonMichael

Weaksauce
Joined
Feb 14, 2005
Messages
77
Hey guys, Ill make this a short post so that yall dont have to filter through a bunch of crap.

I was wondering, more like looking for some reassurance on this setup. I also had a few questions about fans and their relation to power consumtion. So without a second more wasted, here is the setup that I will be running.

Power Supply Options: OCZ Modstream 450 or 520 watt

Motherboard: Soyo Micro ATX board, no big deal
CPU: Celeron 2.4GHz Prescott, not overclocked at all
Memory: A few sticks of Wintec
Graphics: Not sure yet, but nothing beyond a 128MB PCI card
HDD: Some Western Digitals, atleast two
CD+RW: An LG burner, once again - no biggie
Fans: Two 80mm Vantec Tornados
Controller: Vantec Nexus four fan controller or something close

Obviously, I dont care about graphics much at all. I usually just use onboard, but Im looking into a cheap PCI dual monitor solution. So please take that into consideration.

I am not getting the fans so much for cooling, but mainly just because I like noise. Do faster RPM fans actually use more power?

Will there be any issues with either of those PSUs?

Thank you so much guys, have a nice evening.
 
Thanks for the response, Im looking at the about $100-125 price range.

I was also thinking about going with a Sparkle 530 watt. The power rating is about the same and the amps per line arent bad either.
 
You've got a Celeron and choose to use onboard graphics... I think even the OCZ Modstream 450W will be really heavy overkill. The Vantec Tornados you're wondering about don't use very much power at all, at least compared to everything else in your box. To add to that, a microATX board will draw less power than a full ATX board.

A question that I'd like answered is how many hard drives will you be powering in the future? You mention "at least two"... but how many more will you add in later?

I don't think you need to spend a fortune on such a low-draw (relative) system. You can get quality for a reasonable price, and your rig fits that attribute. This Fortron FSP400 will handle your system without problems. Just consider getting the Modstream (or something along that calibre) for when you do overhaul your rig.
 
wow, you can use an old crappy generic psu and be good..lol..and why do you want a vantec tornado lol..o nvm I see you like noise...lol the ocz modstream are pretty quiet..I would suggest an a 400 or so watt enermax.. They are a little noisy from a video review compared to the ocz :) and make sure you put the tornado as an outtake for the noise, and get some earplugs lol
 
Haha, I love you guys...

Aight, ATLEAST two more drives will find their way into my case. Also, I DO want the Tornados for the sheer fact that I love the noise. Thats just how it has always been for me. The main reason I even thought about the Modstream was due to the modular cables. But I have pretty much decided on a Sparkle 530 watt. A new board and CPU will be coming in soon.

Seriously though guys, thanks alot for the suggestions...
 
Back
Top