You Spend 80% Of Work Time ‘Cyberloafing’

HardOCP News

[H] News
The bad news? Most Americans spend up to eighty percent of their time at work cyberloafing. The good news? If you are reading this, you are "cyberloafing" here with us.

A new trend called “cyberloafing” is making its way into places of work throughout the nation – and in a big way. According to Newswise, the average worker spends 60 to 80 percent of his or her time at the office on the Internet, engaging in tasks that have nothing to do with their jobs.

I usually work really hard for 6 hours and then space out for the remaining 2.

"You know in a given week, I probably do only 15 minutes of actual work."

What?? NO WAY

surfing the web is an integral part of my job. and... and... mmm errr, gotta go do some work... :p

If you get your shit done then there's no reason to be bitched at, if you're not productive then you deserve what's coming to you.

I'm on break.

Aside from that, I run my department and if I want to Cyberloaf, I can if I want to. I don't though out of "lead by example".

Goofing off at work has always existed. Years ago, when the Interweb didn't exist, I worked in a factory and there was this guy who would go into the bathroom every day with 3 newspapers and 2 magazines. And then take a nap in the stall when he got done with those.

Goofing off at work has always existed. Years ago, when the Interweb didn't exist, I worked in a factory and there was this guy who would go into the bathroom every day with 3 newspapers and 2 magazines. And then take a nap in the stall when he got done with those.

taking a nap on the toilet... thats sad in a way

cyberloafing sounds like some weird new japanse fetish thing involving cyber poo.

If I work my ass off and get my job done -- I learned that going and LOOKING for extra work to do doesn't help you at all. Being the go-getter guy isn't recognized, supported, or smiled upon where I work.

I'm going to stand up for cyberloafers here.

Programming is hard, mentally exhausting work. Imagine doing math problems all day. Unless you're Isaac Newton, most of normal people would burn out real fast doing that non-stop for 8 hours a day.

You NEED regular breaks to give your brain a chance to rest.

cyberloafing sounds like some weird new japanse fetish thing involving cyber poo.

If I work my ass off and get my job done -- I learned that going and LOOKING for extra work to do doesn't help you at all. Being the go-getter guy isn't recognized, supported, or smiled upon where I work.

..... This is pretty much the truth right here. Not saying it's 100% of the time, but like 95% of the time, it's just like this. My work place sort of depends on who you're buddy buddy with, and how many times you're willing to kiss ass.

Sigh..... I need a new job.

Eh fuck it, I am salary and expected to be here 8-5 mon-fri, if I have nothing to do I spend most of my time reading the web or messing around with autocad drawing gun parts.

This used to bug me, but given the amount of time I am on call, working nights or weekends to do maintenance on systems, it doesn't anymore. Plus, its very easy to have 10 things going on that just require your supervision (updates, installations, etc) but not direct constant interaction.

Luckily I work for a company that doesn't care how I get my work done as long as it is done right.

Eh fuck it, I am salary and expected to be here 8-5 mon-fri, if I have nothing to do I spend most of my time reading the web or messing around with autocad drawing gun parts.

Reported to the Department of Homeland security as a possible gun-loving nut who might shoot up a mall.

And yet I bet they have no reservations about exploiting the go-getters. :(

In my current position I am actually surprised at how little cyber loafing I do.

That sucks. I am like a damn god where I work. It's great.

+1.

I found that the butt kissers usually get noticed and promoted, even if they dont have 1/100th the skills of the non booty kisser! :eek:

I'm curious as to the methodology here.

If they used anonymous surveys, then i find it hard to believe that people would admit to spending so much time browsing.

If they monitor web traffic on their network, then accuracy is questionable. Most sites these days run constant AJAX requests in the background to update content. I tested real quick with CNN.com and they were pinging their servers every 15 seconds. That means that just having that page open in one of your browser tabs will make it seem you're browsing it non-stop all day.

I'm not saying people don't cyberloaf (#1 loafer right here:cool:), but i find the 60%-80% for every worker somewhat implausible.

I'm curious as to the methodology here.

If they used anonymous surveys, then i find it hard to believe that people would admit to spending so much time browsing.

If they monitor web traffic on their network, then accuracy is questionable. Most sites these days run constant AJAX requests in the background to update content. I tested real quick with CNN.com and they were pinging their servers every 15 seconds. That means that just having that page open in one of your browser tabs will make it seem you're browsing it non-stop all day.

I'm not saying people don't cyberloaf (#1 loafer right here:cool:), but i find the 60%-80% for every worker somewhat implausible.

It also can be done from a laptop, tablet, or best yet, the phone!
So they might always be using the companies inet.

I don't smoke so while others go outside for 37 smoke breaks a day, I surf. I also get my work done and it's never hindered my projects.

BAH!
Whippersnappers can't do anything without the internet! I do it the old fashioned way with organic circuts, it's called 'day dreaming' :p

I can buy it. Most office jobs aren't that demanding time-wise and you spend a lot of your time either waiting for machines to do something or waiting for someone else to do something so that you can do what you need to do. And looking for extra work only makes it look like you don't have enough to do so that on the days when you do have a lot of work more gets piled on.

Even in IT you can only install so much new equipment and upgrade so many old machines. And so much of our time is spent waiting for something to go wrong but praying that it never does.

This is one reason a lot of companies stuck to green/amber screen serial terminal and mini computer based systems. These eventually died out because they quit making the terminals.
So they bought PCs and ran serial terminal emulators to use the old system. That works, but now they can browse the web and waste time.

There is another element of the modern corporate world that you can spend lots of time in meetings (particularly web based meetings) ... in most you are only listening or marginally involved so you tend to do lots of multitasking ... the internet is one element in the multitasking checklist ;)

taking a nap on the toilet... thats sad in a way

A nickel's a nickel. A dime's a dime. The best time to shit, is on company time.

I cyberloaf a lot. In between calls, waiting for a scheduled call, waiting for an email, looking stuff up (multi-tasking!), slow part of the day.... No where near 80%, though. I'd wager more like 10-15%. Breaks and lunch, too....

Particularly if you volunteer to do some work for another department. Then all the managers get butt hurt about their precious territorial lines being crossed. Interwebs, here I come!

I wish I had time for some cyberloafing. I'll just have to fit as much in during scheduled breaks.

Back