You people think this will work? advice please

Hey all. I kinda got a nice hom project to do, so im looking for your advice on this.

My brother needs a system or 2 set up in order to do video editing, rendering, and also music recording. Haveing system to do this aint to bad, i got my own for music caus ei use that more anyway, and another 1GHz system for editing.

The other group really just needs simplicity for internet on a laptop, peice of cake!

i have about 7 computers, the software il need for all the computers i use, plenty of cat 5e cable, jacks, and a linksys BEFS41 switch, aswell as another 8 port switch.

Im goign to use the linksys as the router and to handel the DHCP. that should take care of that. For the main network tho, im going to run 2!

For the laptop, a simple work group should be perfect, gets IP from switch, has internet. all is good.

However for the other systems its a little more complicated. Iand im not sure what the ebst choice is. One system will need all the software and stuff, and will need to contain a user account stored on the system, because its likely to be moved off the network every once in a while. This kinda screws up my ideas of running a small domain, i was considering allowing both machines to run the editing software, so for ease i was going to have 2 roaming profile, but i need it so that if the computer is removed it will all still be there happily, and the other machine will work fine to. its this part im not sure about! any ideas?

i would be most thankful for help.

Im still confused on actually what you wanna accomplish first before I can offer a suggestion.

yea... is a little winded.

in short, i want to create a network with 2 computers, i need them to share a desktop tho, so if i type in the username and pass on either machine, i get my desktop, same for the other users. however one machine need to be able to be removed, but hold the files. so it needs to store one desktop, and not moan bout it being off the network, and not cause problems to the other computer. is this possible, and how?

I dont know if its just as simple as createing a user profile ont he machine to be removed, and make it a roaming profile, and keep the rest on a server or what.

Back