You Might Want to Hold Off on Upgrading macOS High Sierra

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
It looks like the latest (10.13.4) macOS High Sierra update has a few bugs that are causing Macs to go into recovery mode upon installation completion. Some people have been able to boot into the new updated OS, but a lot of others can't. Consider this a public service announcement if you're an [H] Mac user.

According to numerous reports, there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with users' Macs – internal drives report that they're fine. And the issue is affecting a range of different Apple-branded computers from different years.

File Vault causes wake from sleep issues for me after update on a 2016 MBP. Disabling file vault fixes this particular issue. I haven't had any other issues yet.

No issues on my 2014 MacBook Pro.
Screen Shot 2018-04-20 at 3.33.12 PM.png

At work (a mostly Mac shop) we are seeing isolated upgrade failures like the article is saying. Upgrade works, sleep, wake up, goes to an error screen like the upgrade didn't take. Or, the upgrade just fails and leaves the Mac in an unusable state.
In all cases I've been getting around it by re-installing 10.13.4 overtop the existing OS. Which is a nuisance.

No issues on my 2014 MacBook Pro.

How does that "old" thing run? Is it fast enough for most things? I've been wanting to pick one up and have been seeing nice refurbs for a few hundred bucks. I don't want anything fancy as it's just to screw around and be a general purpose laptop (I have the Surface Pro 4 and a Lenovo T440 for my Linux machine), just something that runs the latest OS without being a complete dog.

What do you use yours for?

There's nada wrong with older macbooks.
As long as it has 8gb and an SSD it'll be fine for years

I have a late 2012 MacBook that I upgraded with 16gb of RAM and an SSD and it still runs perfectly fine.

It's only a tad bit slower than when it came with Lion installed but Sierra runs pretty great on it.

People can say what they want about Mac OS but it's pretty darn optimized on their hardware.

Thanks for the heads up. Not that I use a mac, but I end up being responsible for every mac within arms reach of genetically similar people.

I have a late 2012 MacBook that I upgraded with 16gb of RAM and an SSD and it still runs perfectly fine...
The 2012 Pro and Air models are pretty damn solid. I had to replace the SSD in the Air, but it's still going strong. Compare that to the pile of other laptops other friends and family have gone through, and I'd say those macs were worth the money.

Apple's products haven't "just worked" since Jobs bit the big one! I don't know why their users are so sheepishly loyal...

How does that "old" thing run? Is it fast enough for most things? I've been wanting to pick one up and have been seeing nice refurbs for a few hundred bucks. I don't want anything fancy as it's just to screw around and be a general purpose laptop (I have the Surface Pro 4 and a Lenovo T440 for my Linux machine), just something that runs the latest OS without being a complete dog.

What do you use yours for?

I use it for web browsing mainly when I do use it, most of the time it just sits on the desk or in a drawer since I not a mobile person, I can't safely drive due to my neck and back being fused so I just chill at home in the garage.
I bought it since it was cheap, got it for $100 a year or so ago.
It is quite fast.

I also have this older 2007 model that was given to me last year and it still works great and is in near mint condition.
IMG_1307.JPG

2014 MacBook Pro, 2015 iMac 5k and a 2017 MacBook all running 10.13.4 without an issue. The MBP probably runs a little better than my new MacBook still, but the MB is so tiny and lasts all day and then some so I can't expect a powerhouse out of it.

Mac users must be happy that updates are optional.......unlike some operating systems

That SecureToken issue on APFS formatted Macbook Airs is annoying, despite FileVault not being enabled.

I'm on 10.13.5 developer beta. I did notice a glitch in the setup - 10.13.4 setup crashed on first try, then went through normally.

Apple's products haven't "just worked" since Jobs bit the big one! I don't know why their users are so sheepishly loyal...
They still 'just work' a lot better than Windows. I find it amusing to read about all the problems Windows10 is giving people.

Our computer maintenance time was cut to less than 1% of what it was on Windows when we switched to Mac only policy. And that was way before even Windows10 was released. We were still running Win7.

I haven't had any issues nor heard of any at work (we have about 40% Mac's).
I have a 2008 Macbook that still works (no High Sierra support). I use it for my terminal in my homelab. Still has a great track pad and I like the keyboard on it.

When we upgrade to macOS 10.13.x in our IT office, it all ways work without a problem.
But when users do the upgrade at home, some of them would run into issues that it would not boot because the file format got changed to APFS, but somehow the firmware was not upgraded.

I have 10.13.4 on real Macbook air and hackintosh laptops, but I do prefer windows 10 on a SSD.

Back