you know what scares me everytime?

you guys ever sit in front of a toaster waiting for your bread to pop out? you realize its coming any second so you brace yourself for that moment so you won't jump? but when it does pop out you still get a little startled by it?

or how about when you have an open computer case with all those fans and you reach your hand to feel how hot the heatsink or capacitor or ram stick is. you try not to touch any fans and you know if you do touch one, it will make you jump out of your seat. so you carefully reach hoping not to touch a fan. but yet you do anyway and retract your hand like you just got shocked.

seriously i almost had a heart attack this morning because i was running orthos on my system. speedfan said my system was running at 67C so i was like, "HmmMM i wonder what 67C feels like on a heat sink". i reached my hand in carefully but my clumsy hands hit a blad of a fan and caused my heart to litterally pop one foot out of my chest. i was like "AHHHHHHHHHHHH FUGGIN SSHHHHHHHHH!T"

i probably shaved of 3 years of my life for doing that. gahhhh!

my clumsy hands hit a blad of a fan and caused my heart to litterally pop one foot out of my chest.

The fact that you are still able to type after your heart burst through your ribcage and out of your chest cavity is quite amazing. (Or did you mean "figuratively"?)

67C seems like it was a SHOCKING experience.

I know how you feel though. I did that with a small fan spinning at 5000RPM, it scared the crap out of me. I then looked at the monitor to see if I tripped something because I wasnt sure if something got moved IE the heatstink that the fan was attached to *the northbridge*

Haha, I know exactly what you're talking about... here is a post I made about a month ago about roughly the exact same thing:

"I was having some issues with my SATA setup and I was down in the case tracing wires while the system was running, my 6800GT has, make that had.. a Zalman copper cooler on it with an exposed fan (see where this is going?). I managed to get a knuckle in the path of the fan while tracing some USB wires and total e-chaos erupted. The fan, aggravated by the intrusion of my knuckle into it's path, began throwing fan blades at my eyes, mouth, other peripherals and instantly the case began to vibrate, as I shielded myself from the blast of curiously sharp pointy debris, I frantically reached for the power switch and put the beast down. I immediately surveyed the damage and decided to snap off 4 blades on the opposite side of the fan to temporary balance the fan and troubleshoot at the same time. I installed the card back in the system, and started the computer, the fan did not vibrate at all, and was actually rather pleasant. The computer posted in what I could best describe as a mixture of the matrix meets LSD... with a fantastic array of interesting characters and colors, some of which resembled my computer booting, and the vista loading logo... but alas, the computer never makes it into windows. I removed the zalman and installed the stock cooler with great attention to care. I did not see any physical damage to the board, or any capacitors or the like. Again, fired the system up and the same results."

Haha, I know exactly what you're talking about... here is a post I made about a month ago about roughly the exact same thing:

"I was having some issues with my SATA setup and I was down in the case tracing wires while the system was running, my 6800GT has, make that had.. a Zalman copper cooler on it with an exposed fan (see where this is going?). I managed to get a knuckle in the path of the fan while tracing some USB wires and total e-chaos erupted. The fan, aggravated by the intrusion of my knuckle into it's path, began throwing fan blades at my eyes, mouth, other peripherals and instantly the case began to vibrate, as I shielded myself from the blast of curiously sharp pointy debris, I frantically reached for the power switch and put the beast down. I immediately surveyed the damage and decided to snap off 4 blades on the opposite side of the fan to temporary balance the fan and troubleshoot at the same time. I installed the card back in the system, and started the computer, the fan did not vibrate at all, and was actually rather pleasant. The computer posted in what I could best describe as a mixture of the matrix meets LSD... with a fantastic array of interesting characters and colors, some of which resembled my computer booting, and the vista loading logo... but alas, the computer never makes it into windows. I removed the zalman and installed the stock cooler with great attention to care. I did not see any physical damage to the board, or any capacitors or the like. Again, fired the system up and the same results."

Fairly depressing day for that 6800 yes?

Fairly depressing day for that 6800 yes?

Few video cards could ever hope to achieve their apex in such a blaze of glory. If it wasn't for that terrible even't, I wouldn't have my new computer... or the new (retired gaming rig) HTPC :) The nzone forum was disappointed to hear the highest air OC'ed 6800GT on 3dmark06 had exited the e-universe so violently.

the only other thing that scares the shit out of me is firing up a water loop for the first time *hoping* you are not about to have to explain on an RMA sheet why your components are water damaged.

haha ouch

reminds me of when i was a kid and opened up a room fan. me and my brother would dare each other to reach in to touch the fan while it was going at increasingly faster speeds. almost as dumb as daring each other to take a shock on the leg with an electronic mosquito killer.

reminds me of when i was a kid and opened up a room fan. me and my brother would dare each other to reach in to touch the fan while it was going at increasingly faster speeds. almost as dumb as daring each other to take a shock on the leg with an electronic mosquito killer.

I have a scar on my left forearm from putting a t-shirt on real early in the morning before work and extending my arm into the path of the fan.. its halfway down my arm.. I really must have moved it up quickly.

hahaha my buddies bought this 50,000 volt tazer off the internet and we use to get drunk and dare each other to get zapped the longest. no matter how tough you think you are even when your drunk you would go down while violently shaking on the floor. i know it sounds stupid when your young and dumb thats what you end up doing. most of the time we would just charge the capacitor up and discharge it on each other and that alone can still make you cry.

What scares me is when Orthos fails and it beeps and starts flashing in huge red letters... it gets me everytime :p

hahaha my buddies bought this 50,000 volt tazer off the internet and we use to get drunk and dare each other to get zapped the longest. no matter how tough you think you are even when your drunk you would go down while violently shaking on the floor. i know it sounds stupid when your young and dumb thats what you end up doing. most of the time we would just charge the capacitor up and discharge it on each other and that alone can still make you cry.

you mean stun gun, taser is the ones that fire barbs into your skin ;)

Back