You know that feeling when.....

Rick

Gawd
...you think you've just went a little further then you had planned? We'll I just managed to sqeek through undamaged or more specifically my shuttle socket did.

Was in the process of getting everthing out to install my new X2 3800+ all going well until I try to remove the ICE heatsink. It's not coming off easy but had that on other heatsinks so you rock it a bit and try to break the suction. So off it finally comes and I look at the socket to see how much goop is left and I'm just looking at the socket.....the freaking CPU came out with the heatsink while the socket was in the locked position. :eek:

Look at the CPU and no pins appear to be broken off and stuck in the socket so I continue along. Thankfully with a Windows reboot and reactivation (CPU, DVD writer and new HD) all is well with the system.

Shudder.... that had the potential to be a crappy and expensive swapout.

Well I just put together my system in the sig. All went installed well until I went to turn it on and it didn't turn on :eek: .

After just hitting the power on and turning on and off the power supply switch.. for no apparent reason it went on... Only one more time did it not turn on when I hit the power switch.. but from that first day I never had any other problems... So to this day I always wondered why wouldn't the system turn on.

Word. I had this happen to me in a shuttle sn25p with my FX55, d'oh! Nearly crapped myself....

Happened to me too, but i'm glad, that computer was a piece of junk.

I think its time for a sticky on how to remove a heatsink though.

When this happened to me I didn't even put much force on the CPU.. I think it takes very little pressure to pop out the CPU in the locked position. I mean its only clamping it down with pressure and not hooking it down.

I haven't had that happen personally, but I have had my hand slip and get cut open pretty bad from my case. Hurt like a SOB

Chickan said:
I haven't had that happen personally, but I have had my hand slip and get cut open pretty bad from my case. Hurt like a SOB

Yeah that used to happen a lot on the old computer cases. Thankgod for those new rounded edge cases today.. you never get a cut on those.

Freakin' thing happens to me all the time. I use waterblocks though. Can't count the amount of times the ol' 754 DTR has been ripped outta the board...:D

heh. this is what happens to me when i try to remove the waterblock. damn ihs :rolleyes: :p

1_72.jpg

(cf)Eclipse said:
heh. this is what happens to me when i try to remove the waterblock. damn ihs :rolleyes: :p

Holy cow! Now I don't feel so unlucky, lol.

Heat's a little high on the new chip, think I'll remove the AS5 and redo it with regular paste so I can get better coverage. Couldn't spread the AS very well.

hahaha, nah, i'm kidding. i actually cut it off. it's a plausible theory though ;)

Just got an email back from a friend, happened to him to when he was rebuilding another friends shuttle box (same model as mine). They ended up with a few bent pins but got it working.

(cf)Eclipse said:
hahaha, nah, i'm kidding. i actually cut it off. it's a plausible theory though ;)

lol yeah, I could see that happening, but you'd have to pull like a SOB

Back