You guys are using receivers???

jds62f

Weaksauce
Joined
Feb 9, 2006
Messages
73
I'm curious :)

Computer usage: Gaming, Music, in that order
Need: convenient and competent headphone jack, new yet cost efficient speaker setup.

My old SB Live! card died on me, so I'm exploring my options since I'm spending $$ anyway. I gather from taking a look at other threads that due to gaming being my primary use, I probably want to stick with something similar, such as an X-Fi titanium.

I've got a pair of DT770's for when I need to be quiet, and I've committed the sin of using the front panel off my SB Live! to power them. Now that the SB Live! is dead I'm exploring my options...

Is there any sense in going from an X-Fi -> receiver -> bookshelf speakers?
Would plugging my headphones into the receiver be something I could do, or would I be better off with a separate headphone amp? What about amps with USB/DAC like the firestone fubar III or travagan's white?

If I decide to go receiver/bookshelfs I think I can figure out my component selection on my own.
 
I'm curious :)

Computer usage: Gaming, Music, in that order
Need: convenient and competent headphone jack, new yet cost efficient speaker setup.

My old SB Live! card died on me, so I'm exploring my options since I'm spending $$ anyway. I gather from taking a look at other threads that due to gaming being my primary use, I probably want to stick with something similar, such as an X-Fi titanium.

I've got a pair of DT770's for when I need to be quiet, and I've committed the sin of using the front panel off my SB Live! to power them. Now that the SB Live! is dead I'm exploring my options...

Is there any sense in going from an X-Fi -> receiver -> bookshelf speakers?
Would plugging my headphones into the receiver be something I could do, or would I be better off with a separate headphone amp? What about amps with USB/DAC like the firestone fubar III or travagan's white?

If I decide to go receiver/bookshelfs I think I can figure out my component selection on my own.

Reasons to use soundcard:
1) Software Effects (virtual surround sound, EQ, EAX, etc.)
2) Discrete DAC, therefore able to choose discrete amps and swap out pieces of the audio chain as needed
3) Convenience (lack of desktop real estate, etc.)

Reasons to use receiver:
1) Generally, uses nice integrated speaker amplifiers (note: usually shitty integrated headphone amp)
2) Generally, has a nicer DAC than soundcard
3) More options of output and input

Reasons to use external, discrete DAC:
1) Discrete DAC, therefore able to choose discrete amps and swap out pieces of the audio chain as needed
2) Generally, is better than soundcard DAC
 
This is what I do.

I have a Xonar D2X soundcard --> Yamaha RXV1400 receiver --> 5.1 surround setup (this is for games, music, and HT). The DAC in the Xonar is very nice and is actually better than my Yamaha receiver. I just use the amp power from the yamaha receiver to power my speakers and sub because they are non-powered (except the sub of course). So the speakers and sub use the Xonar's DAC and analog outs. Not to mention this way I can use my Xbox with my office setup without having crappy TV sound.

Here is my headphone setup: Xonar D2X (optical out) --> Zhaulo 2.0DAC --> Xiang Sheng 708b tube amp --> Senn HD580's or AKG Sextett's

Kind of the best of both worlds in my opinion. But yes, I use a receiver because it is not only cheaper to get a decent receiver and then purchase a decent 5.1 speaker setup, but it is also more convenient in general if you ever need to add stuff to your computer setup.
 
This is what I do.

I have a Xonar D2X soundcard --> Yamaha RXV1400 receiver --> 5.1 surround setup (this is for games, music, and HT). The DAC in the Xonar is very nice and is actually better than my Yamaha receiver. I just use the amp power from the yamaha receiver to power my speakers and sub because they are non-powered (except the sub of course). So the speakers and sub use the Xonar's DAC and analog outs. Not to mention this way I can use my Xbox with my office setup without having crappy TV sound.

Here is my headphone setup: Xonar D2X (optical out) --> Zhaulo 2.0DAC --> Xiang Sheng 708b tube amp --> Senn HD580's or AKG Sextett's

Kind of the best of both worlds in my opinion. But yes, I use a receiver because it is not only cheaper to get a decent receiver and then purchase a decent 5.1 speaker setup, but it is also more convenient in general if you ever need to add stuff to your computer setup.

Hmmm... I was thinking I *needed* the x-fi for EAX sound effects in games. I've got a quad so I don't think I'd be taking that huge of a hit without it, but based on other things I'd read I was thinking that the x-fi was the choice for games... is this not the case? If so, do I have any good options for sound cards in the ~$100 range?
 
I was also looking into a new soundcard because my old Turtle Beach Santa Cruz doesn't have drivers for Vista.

However, I've been curious about receivers as well, so I just bought a Onkyo TX-SR601 receiver off of ebay (I have the 605 receiver for my home theater).

I plan on hooking the receiver up to the optical output on my motherboard and skipping a soundcard altogether. I believe this will get rid of the feedback from my current setup from IP35 integrated audio -> Logitech z-560's.

The next step, obviously, is to purchase some new speakers. I will find a way to use the subwoofer from the z-560's though as I'd like to keep the upgrade relatively cheap. Plus the z-560 subwoofer is actually decent.
 
Back
Top