You Can’t Open the Microsoft Surface Laptop without Literally Destroying It

I think their target audience won't care about this. People that can afford that kind of hardware will just toss it away and get a newer generation to replace it

Is $999 for a touch screen laptop in this day and age really considered a high priced item?

I think their target audience won't care about this. People that can afford that kind of hardware will just toss it away and get a newer generation to replace it
I don't think so... I think there will be plenty thinking like i did with my wife's Nexus 6 .. its 500$ but i will have warranty for a while and then a repair place if i have to for battery, screen, whatever. Wonder how many will be making the same calculation.. l actually don't know how respirable the Nexus 6 is btw.. i just assumed it is at least at a place.

It's good its not repairable. When you need to RMA it, you're guaranteed a new one and not a refurb.

It's good its not repairable. When you need to RMA it, you're guaranteed a new one and not a refurb.
Notice how when you buy a refurbed iPad or similar you get a new case with it? They probably destroy the case getting the parts out then swap the components + new battery into a new chassis. I suspect the Surface would be the same.

The smaller, thinner and lighter you make things, the harder they are to fix...No surprises here IMO.

This comment shows your ignorance on the matter. And i don't mean that in a nasty way. Making something small doesn't mean un-serviceable. Because.. and i'll tell you this for nothing... designers usually put serviceability high on their list because its often a large part of making something. What we have here.. is pure directive from higher-ups to *purposely* design neglecting serviceability and use fabrication methods that aid in taking cents of fasteners etc to trade it for profits as opposed to respecting your customers and giving them something they can maintain.

And frankly... people should be jumping up and down about this (a decade ago) and voicing a dislike. But alas... people are to lazy to stand up for their rights now and instead would rather virtue signal on fecesbook (and then whinge when they are next in line for concentration camp or gulag).

This comment shows your ignorance on the matter. And i don't mean that in a nasty way. Making something small doesn't mean un-serviceable. Because.. and i'll tell you this for nothing... designers usually put serviceability high on their list because its often a large part of making something. What we have here.. is pure directive from higher-ups to *purposely* design neglecting serviceability and use fabrication methods that aid in taking cents of fasteners etc to trade it for profits as opposed to respecting your customers and giving them something they can maintain.

And frankly... people should be jumping up and down about this (a decade ago) and voicing a dislike. But alas... people are to lazy to stand up for their rights now and instead would rather virtue signal on fecesbook (and then whinge when they are next in line for concentration camp or gulag).
Yeah those 3 cents in screws, and extra seconds of manufacturing time add up to millions.. then again ANYTHING adds up to millions when you are making millions of something.

I think this laptop was designed from the top down for aesthetics, the laptop seems more of a designers wet dream more than an engineers. I actually feel sorta bad for the engineering team that had to figure out how to physically construct this from the concept drawings they were provided, they probably had to loosen a few of their standards to get the job done with out getting canned.

I don't think I am ignorant on this matter honestly.

Take a look at manufacturing of smaller, thinner devices. Fusing the LCD, digitizer and front panel into a single unit KILLS serviceability, because you have to replace all three if any one item breaks. But it does make the device thinner and lighter in a way that's not possible otherwise. Using locking tabs and adhesive instead of screws makes the device thinner, but kills serviceability. Soldering chips to the boards kills serviceability, but it make the devices thinner in a way that's not possible otherwise.

There are probably SOME decisions made for costs and profits. But strictly from a manufacturing point of view, to make things thinner, lighter and more compact you have to make sacrifices. And "serviceability" is one of those that goes pretty quickly.

Back