You Can Now Play Nearly 2,400 MS-DOS Video Games from Your Browser

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Every once and awhile we like to remind you that there are lots and lots of free games on the Internet Archive site that are playable straight from your browser. The Internet Archive just added 2400 MS-DOS based games this week to help you pass the time and the best part is that the games are all free.

The first thing you'll notice when you dive into the new MS-DOS game library is just how impossibly large it seems. It's got everything! Street Fighter II? Yup. Sim City? Uh huh. Duke Nukem 3D? Of course!

I haven't been able to get these to work in any browser since it was talked about a week ago. Not sure why.

Only one I tried was Oregon Trail, it was weird seeing it in color. Fun stuff.

Meh... my favorite game from that era never made it to MS-DOS, Mail Order Monsters. Sure there there were games like Archon which had some similar elements, but man I loved that game to no end... I just wish I could play it with a modern computer so I don't have to wait ages for the floppy drive to run.

Speedball 2 and Moon Stone for me, awesome games. Playing manager in SB2 was a nice way to waste the weekend last week. Alley cat was ok too.

I don't know if the sound is being emulated close to the original, I hope they tweak that eventually, along with the controller support they seem to be working on. I had to use joy2key in some titles to make the experience more enjoyable, more than worth it.

Huh, even the old ad&d goldbox games. Can you save your game at all? And have it there when you load back up?

Meh... my favorite game from that era never made it to MS-DOS, Mail Order Monsters. Sure there there were games like Archon which had some similar elements, but man I loved that game to no end... I just wish I could play it with a modern computer so I don't have to wait ages for the floppy drive to run.

Man I loved that game too, used to get up at night as a kid and put blankets over the Commodore 64's floppy drive to muffle the sound so I wouldn't get in trouble for playing it. :D

Archon was another favorite for sure.

Got Wolfenstein working, was very difficult re-adapting to the old style FPS, but still just as fun.

Second time around the game was slow & jittery, and then the music dropped out.

Used Firefox.

I can only hope that in another 20 years I will be able to play Crysis in a browser.

Got Wolfenstein working, was very difficult re-adapting to the old style FPS, but still just as fun.

Second time around the game was slow & jittery, and then the music dropped out.

Used Firefox.

I played a browser based version of Wolfenstein a year or two ago and it still made me nauseous but it also still also took me a while before I could pull myself away from it. I loved that game back in the day but it was a love hate thing because of how sick it made me feel, I'd play it until I felt like I was going to throw up and then the headache would usually last the rest of the day.

It's funny to think about how little power these games need to run compared to today's hardware, the fact that many are available to play in a browser makes for a nice bit of nostalgia.

Anyone able to get sound working? Not that it really matters, as I own most of the DOS games I like, but I found this an interesting site.

Tested Indianapolis 500 (my friend and I played it like crazy back in the day) and it runs perfect, except the game uses ESC for stuff so if I go full screen, I inevitably hit ESC and it exits full screen oddly.

Bah. Forget emulation. The only way to really experience DOS games is on original hardware. :D

*boots up his 386 to play Ultima Underworld

2,400 MS-DOS games for free, all I need now is for Steve to stop linking to the Gawker network. :(

Back