You can help make longhorn better!

S1nF1xx said:
I really think we need 8 more pages of " OMFG T3H FLOPPIE SUX0R0X0XR0R0XR0XR! !!!!!!OMFG111ELVELEN1111!!!!!11!1!OMG"
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Christ, I think everyone get's the point. Does anyone have a different suggestion?
Not only did the thread get front paged, it got it's own section. ;)

edit: in other words, your chances of preventing this thread from reaching eleventy billion pages failed before you even typed it. :D

To those who think that it is a PITA and a challenge for those who are not so technically inclined, that is hardly the case. Anyone who would find installing a floppy drive a challenge isn't likely to be some one reinstalling their OS. I have not had a floppy drive in my last 2 pcs, and is just a major source of inconvenience to have to connect one just to install drives for the SATA controller.

So MS, if you're listening, please allow the use of USB and or CD drives for additional driver loads.

Phoenix86 said:
Not only did the thread get front paged, it got it's own section. ;)

edit: in other words, your chances of preventing this thread from reaching eleventy billion pages failed before you even typed it. :D
And it was a non issue if someone actually read the slides I posted.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

I agree entirely.

Many people still use a floppy, but I think MS would be surprised if they knew how many "common folk" out there, not just us at [H], use USB flash devices. Hell, even my older sister does, someone who used floppies exclusively up until about a year ago, no matter how many times they failed on her.

I'm no techno-whiz, but I don't imagine it would be that hard toimplement installs from other media. If I can make a slipstreamed XP install disc, I'd think there should be an easier way for less technical people to install an OS.

IN any event, if MS is really reading this, best of luck with Longhorn. XP is, for the most part, a real pleasure to use and is much better than what we were using a few years back.

cast another vote for USB drive from someone who spends way too much time re-installing systems with all different hardware configurations (making ghost images basically impossible, or at least impractical).

OK at the VERY LEAST they should allow a usb floppy drive as it really gets irritating installing windows if you happen to fry your floppy controller before installing the OS ;)

MS=FLOPPY

- they are both slow
- they are both unreliable
- ..and in the end you are wondering why have you even bought it :rolleyes:

eeyrjmr said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

scrap floppy support and Engineer will NOT be upgrading to Longhorn!!!!
just incase you dont thionk Engineers are important - no engineer so super duper hardware!!!!

Tek (and other big scope companies) are releasing scopes to this day (nice and fast as well) BUT will floppy disks, these floppies are used to take data off the scope to then examine to find problems

fuck it, let MS scap floppy support, it will result in Longhorn not being a suscess

Dude, I'm fairly fluent in American and UK English, but WTF is this? I don't understand half of the words, or even the idea that you are trying to express. Maybe use little words, so dumb little me can figure out what you're trying to say?

xXaNaXx said:
there is still the option of slipstreaming your windows installation, so that loading stuff from a floppy is not an issue....yes, it can be a pain to have to learn how to do that, but think of it this way: that's more knowledge that you'll have for later.

I was thinking this same thing at first. Then I remembered all the blank CDs I wasted trying to get it working. And then I remembered how often drivers are updated. And then I decided to post that Microsoft really needs to add the option of using a thumbdrive / CD / Zip disk / whatever, because the floppy disk is dying and putting the drivers on the CD is a witch and a half.

I have been complaining about this since windows2000 - I can't believe they didn't do this in xp.
I actually don't even have floppy drives anymore.
:rolleyes:

haven't read the thread.. just chiming in with:

DO IT... DO IT.. Maury finkle from finkle fixtures said DO IT

I agree that MS should allow the use of a USB key, CD/DVD, or Zip to allow the windows installer to access drivers. I for one have a SFF and do not have a floppy drive installed, and most newer pcs that are shipping from Dell, Gateway, HP, etc do not have floppy drives. I find it to be a PITA to have to hook up a floppy drive everytime I need to re-install XP, which I do often. So I vote YES to the USB key, CD/DVD, or Zip Law! :)

I'm a Sr. Systems Analyst for a Fortune 100 company. Requiring floppies in this century is very constraining. Alternate distribution methods for drivers are needed today.

LethalZen said:
I'm a Sr. Systems Analyst for a Fortune 100 company. Requiring floppies in this century is very constraining. Alternate distribution methods for drivers are needed today.

M$ definitely needs to get in with the times. Linux/*nix offers all kinds of alt distribution, and apple hasn't had a floppy drive in their machines in like 4 years now :rolleyes:

Add my vote for at least a CD/DVD support for installation.

I'm a computer technician who is often in charge of getting new computers to build a custom image. That involve installing he OS 2-5 times per week so imagine my hassle when faced with diskless laptops and computers.

I'm sure that if we allow to pick whatever media to load the drivers, it would be a one-time change for MS then live on this for the next decade surely.

I build hundreds of computers in a week for a local computer business. Installing winxp is already pretty painful as is, even though most basic computers do NOT need mass storage drivers. imho, the fewer manual steps required to install windows the better.

my personal dream- every version of longhorn shipped with an optional slipstreamed installer disc.. mmmm

I agree with you, floppies are antiquated in the extreme. I haven't put one in the last two systems I've built at home, and most of the Dell's we order at work don't have floppies, either.

I'd be more in favor of them dropping floppy support altogether than in them dropping support for other media types.

Yes please.

It's easier to plug in a USB drive than it is to hook up an internal floppy, even though it is a process that shouldn't happen all that often.

Get with it boys, the floppy is dead. Stop coddling to witless end users and force a change that will do nothing but good for the community as a whole. Hell, market a 16MB thumb drive for $5, that's about what they cost...put them in the package and call it a day.

Phoenix86 said:
Two words.

Service Pack.

I really don't think this should even be a discussion. If MS isn't doing this (USB/CD drivers) already, it's VERY shortsighted.

Also, what I'd rather see is more drivers in SPs. Not every new card under the sun, but add SATA drivers with service packs, so the above point is less of an issue. Especially since new OSes aren't coming out every 2 years.

I understand that, however, people might start to complain about the size of the SP downloads. Additionally, it doesn't change my WinXP RTM CD's state. I could slipstream the SP and create a new boot CD, but then I might as well include the SATA drivers...

(p.s.: I completely agree with you, since I can see it make a LOT of sense, I am just playing devil's advocate)

Please... for the love of all that is holy and sanctified...

LET THE FLOPPY DISK DIE.

I havent bought or used or owned a floppy disk in.... 4 years, possibly 5. I have a small pile of floppies with data on them that are invariably corrupted from the short lifespan they carry, and the fact that USB storage media is so prevalent now.

It's long overdue. Floppies have been on life support for the last 3 years. It's time to tag and bag them. My new PC has a floppy drive on it simply because I thought about the one or two times in the next 5 years I use it that I'll absolutely need it and not have one handy otherwise.

Skaal-tel said:
I build hundreds of computers in a week for a local computer business. Installing winxp is already pretty painful as is, even though most basic computers do NOT need mass storage drivers. imho, the fewer manual steps required to install windows the better.

my personal dream- every version of longhorn shipped with an optional slipstreamed installer disc.. mmmm
maybe you should think about trying OPK Tools or run a ghostcast server.

So from what I gather here is that if MS stops supporting floppy disk drives, Longhorn will be 100% perfect and hence every Linux distribution will die because they support the dreaded floppy disk.

Seriously, no one has any original ideas about how to improve Windows other than being able to load SCSI drivers off a CD/USB drive durring setup...which you do what...once a year? twice? 10 times a year if you can't keep your OS stable?

Wow, I have never seen a 10 page rant on one subject before. How lame. :rolleyes:

How about they fix the file copy estimator. It jumps from 1789minutes to 30 seconds, to 50 minutes and back again when you move a folder with many files in it. I would like them to fix that. So if anyone at MS can see this post in the sea of "OMFG FLOPPIES SUCK!!" posts, please take note.

I agree, one time install of a floppy for this one thing that couls easilly be changed to allow USB or CD drivers to be loaded would solve lots of issues. I know all the new servers being ordered from Dell by my State are also not coming with Floppies as are most systems being bought today.

I have been wanting this feature since Windows 2000. Most of my current systems don't even have floppy drives anymore.

Yes, we need this VERY bad! I hate having to hook up a floppy drive just to install Windows!

I've never had to do that myself, but it would be a problem if I did since I don't use floppy disks or drives anymore. They are antiquated. Tiny capacity, and unreliable. And few use them anymore. It is silly if you're installing XP and have to hook up a floppy drive to install drivers. I don't think I have one....

Yeh we need to get away from that Floppy disk only sillyness.

You have my support

Gav

If they want us to keep floppys so much then bring back my old fav... LS120 drives :-D

So from what I gather here is that if MS stops supporting floppy disk drives, Longhorn will be 100% perfect and hence every Linux distribution will die because they support the dreaded floppy disk.

Yet, you are still missing the point. No one is saying that Longhorn should refuse to support floppy drives. If you really have some sick love for them, you will still be able to use it.

The issue is with a floppy drive being *required* to install the OS in certain situations. I could really care less if floppy drive support is included, as long as I can ignore it without complications.

Heck, even UBCD4win has sufficient driver support for all of my RAID controllers. With a box full of Floppies that I'd love to ditch, for heavens sake ship longhorn on DVD. Load every driver known to man + some. USB capable for unseen future drivers. My guess, just a guess, is that more people have DVD drives than floppy. The added space of a DVD would allow for many of the tools one must find, and download from the MSKB. just my 2 cents worth.

Well, I work in server support, so it really gets annoying having to load the drivers from floppy. Servers are being sold without floppy drives because people don't realize that Windows needs the floppy to see the drivers. Servers more especially need this feature since even if they have native drivers for the RAID controllers in them, they normally don't work as well as the manufacturer-supplied drivers. This really does need to change.

Back