• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Yet another "what gaming headphones" thread

eddieck

Gawd
Joined
Dec 13, 2009
Messages
1,010
Looking for a nice pair of gaming headphones. I'm flexible on price - would like to go within $50 but if there's something really, really good for more I'll consider.

- 5 others in the house, so I need some kind of noise-blocking
- Audio inputs only (I have a sound card), no USB
- Mostly for gaming (AA3 mainly), but a bit of music too
- Don't care about mic - if it has one, great, if not I'll get a clip-on

TIA!
 
here you go under 50 bucks

Harx 700

or for slightly over 50 you can go with the 900.

These 2 are about your only options under 50.
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I just recently went into the world of headphones myself.

I did what you're thinking of doing ...spending $50-$80. I dropped by Best Buy, grabbed the Sennheiser 428 ($80), and was disappointed to say the least.

I've returned those, and bought the Audio Technica ATH A700 (you'll want these exact kind as they are closed, not open, which will reduce all that sound coming from ur household)

Anyhow, they cost me $112.88, and I've had them for about 1.5 weeks now, and couldnt be HAPPIER. These are the sort of cans you'll have for a long time to come ....and versatile: use them w/ ur ipod, stero, computer, etc.

I ordered mine @ J&R (found at jr DOT com ) ((WTF, why r these forums giving me grief trying to link him to that store?!))

But, could get them cheaper here (not by much): http://www.antonline.com/p_ATH-A700-GP_268404.htm

You can also read my original post into buying a pair of cans research @ : http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1482125

Some of the posters had some very insightful info and reasons to consider your future purchase.

Hope all this helps you as it has CERTAINLY helped me! *jams listening to music through headphones I mentioned above even as I write this post*
 
Last edited:
The very sort answer would be:

The A700s are closed, and as a result they will drown out most external sounds, people around you won't necessarily hear what you're listening to, and these usually offer a bit puncher bass sound.

The AH700's are open, and as a result they usually offer a more natural dynamic sound, people around you can usually always hear what you're listening to, in general you will still hear sounds in your surrounding environment, and these usually do not offer a punchy bass sound worth writing home to mom about.

I am no expert. My information is condensed and compiled based upon my own somewhat extensive research. I can vouch for the A700 though...I game a lot, listen to music a lot, and wanted something that was a world wild investment. I am not disappointed w/ my A700.

Also, you may want to compliment your sound w/ a program/software I recently happened upon during all this recent research of mine. It's called Breakaway Audio Enhancer. Be your own judge, but my A700 combined w/ this software on my Gigabyte MB Realtek audio has changed the way I listen to ANYTHING!

Happy shopping n' hunting! Hope this helps ya!
 
i have owned both head phones i currently have the A700's got them off Amazon for $109.00

The AD700 are great for gaming they are open so they have a better soundstage but lack bass compared to the A700's . The A700 have better bass and are closed which isolate the sound better. I perfer the A700's they cost a lil more than the AD700

both are great for gaming
 
I have the HARX700s. Great set of cans for the price. The bass is a bit boomy, but I actually like it for games ('splosions sound great!). I haven't heard the audio-technicas, but given their reputation, I'm sure they sound better than the JVCs. If you want to save some cash though, the JVCs are great, and with 5 other people in the house, you won't be constantly worried about who is using them. I got a second pair because the fiancee really like them too.
 
Yeah, for under $50 its hard to beat JVC. The HARX 900s can be found on sale sometimes, keep an eye out. The HARX 700s are nothing to complain about. You can often find them for $30 and the quality blows away the last two headsets I've owned ($40 Altec Lansing and $80 Icemat/SteelSeries). I'm not just talking sound, they have a good build quality as well.
 
Thanks. The A700 seems perfect.. a bit more than I was hoping to spend but you get what you pay for. :)
 
Back
Top