Yet another videocard recommendation thread

edifyingkarma

[H]ard|Gawd
Heres the deal

I am in a bit of a pickle currently as my budget is low and I wanted to hold out before upgrading. The problem is, my 8800GT just blew up and I need a replacement card.

Take into consideration that this is only a hold over card. I intend to build a new system all together around November next year so I only need this card to last me until then. DirectX 11 compatibility is not a factor and I am looking for the absolute highest price: perfomance I can get for ~$160. I am able to budge $20 or so, but anything over $200 is completely out of the question (unemployed currently and attending school, saving is not a possibility).

My critical system specs:

Q6600 @ 3.4
750watt PSU (dell oem)
650i Motherboard

I will be playing at 1080p and would like to play at a reasonably high setting.
Remember, I want the absolute highest possible price: performance regardless of directx 11.

Thanks

UPDATE

Thanks for all the tips guys. I pulled the trigger on a used 4870 x2. I paid only $195 for it shipped and I am sure it will be more than a sufficient hold me over card ;).

Last edited:
It's a good card. The cooling on that unit is much quieter and better than reference and one of the better aftermarket options available.

MSI's warranty service is just OK, but so are most manufacturers's.

Get it -- better cooling than most, and you won't be able to get more than $20-30 less used for the same sort of thing. Probably your best option in the price range you're looking for.

Yes, but I'd double-check to make sure your PSU has enough amps on the 12V. It's an excellent card, insanely good for that price, but very power-hungry.

hmmm, What if i could get a 4870 x2 for approx $195, Would you guys do it?

If you don't mind the increase power draw it will be a good bit faster in most cases. I'd probably do it -- I paid that for one 4890 at launch, and that's only a little slower than my pair.

Checked, the 12v, I have sufficient amps to run it. I went ahead and pulled the trigger for @ 195 bux shipped, you cannot hardly beat that. It will do exactly what I want it to and that is to hold me over for about a year. Thanks you two for talking this out with me.

...Nvidia's drivers aren't any better than ATI's at this point, or for the last 3 or 4 years for that matter, possibly longer. Both have their issues and quirks. $100 for what's basically an OCed 8800 GTS 512MB is nothing special -- a 4870X2 at $200 is far more than 2x as fast as that GTS 250 for $100.

Actually I was referring to the fact that he had an 8800GT so if he got a 9800GTX+, there would be no driver funkiness by switching brands (I went through it when I switched from my 8800GT to 4870). I think ATI makes better cards right now than nVidia, but he said he wanted somthing to hold him over till he can get enough to build a new machine.

Back