yet another recommendation thread (but focused on stability)

JediFonger

2[H]4U
i started writing my boringass story... then realized none of you will care about that. so i put that way under now for those interested.

what i'm looking for in a new board/platform:
*STABILITY IS KING* i havent OC'd since celery300 days, it's a young man's past-time lol. no need for that, just need this to be super-stable.
from my limited research it looks like skylake's the way to go, but everything is expensive at the moment (as it is new). i've also found some boards that'll accept haswell, but allow you to go skylake when it comes down in price?
-what's with socket 1151&1155? are the inter-changeable? those 2 are the newest, correct?
-RAM, ddr3 now and ddr4 in the future?
-dual pciex16
-dont care about brand

so, looking at techarp's latest CPU comparisons... intel's still churning out quadcore per socket... while AMD has gone to 8core or beyond... what's up with this? AMD can't possibly be better right?

anywho... can recommendations would be great.

as for GPUs, i'm settled on some sort of nvidia variation. 6xx or 7xx.

finally, what i am running application-wise:
-dual 4k for 2d work
-maybe 1 or more additional 2k screens
-but for gaming, i only game older games like the above titles. the newest game i have i think is tomb raider 4 or maybe batman arkham1. i dont play new games.

boring-ass story starts:
the last build i did was maybe 6-ish years ago, maybe? i can't really remember.

have amd 1100t hex-core, 16gb ram, gigabyte 890fxud5 rev 2? my GPU is horrendous... but i've been using it for when i work at home primarily.

i haven't played other games outside just the occasional Counter-Strike or Warcraft3.

i had a ATI/AMD 4890 from waaay back in the days... and apparently the driver support is not non-existent for windows 10 :(. yes i have done the w10 hack... h264 videos stopped playing after that. the gaming i think works. i need that h264 playback to work as well as gaming.

The way I see it, you really have two choices...

LGA1151 - Intel's newest "midrange" socket or...
LGA2011v3 - Intel's "high end" socket

Long story short, the other sockets are older technology. AMD isn't really competitive right now, but we'll see with Zen (or not see as is more than likely the case). 1151 is going to limit you to 4 Cores/ 8 threads while the 2011v3 is going to get you 6 or 8 cores and 12-16 threads depending on how much money you want to spend. If you're not OCing, the 1151 has a higher stock clock speed.

GPU is personal preference. Nvidia is releasing newer GPU's soon. You can either wait and see on those or score a good deal on a used 9XX GPU.

If you're looking at stability being priority #1, I suppose you could look at something like a supermicro server board, but personally, I'd get something like an Asus Sabertooth and just run a regular desktop chip.

good call. i looked at the 2011 pricing and that's way out of my pricing for what i am doing. i also found (through more research/googling) that i absolutely cannot live without vpro for my work... therefore for the skylake chipsets... only q170 is viable for my purposes.

i know the 2011 sockets also have vpro on the c600 series... but those costs are way way beyond what i can afford.

hell i'd even research AMD-based chipsets.... lol

aaaanywho... thx again everyone!

what i ended up with (for those that might care down the road):
-Asus Q170M-C, i didn't realize this is like the ONLY vPro chipset (no other exists on desktop side, unless you venture into OEM-space).
-Core5 6600
-64GB RAM
-quardo 1200
-512GB SSD Samsung 850pro

Back