Yet another recommend me a CPU thread

kazak

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
141
So I'm a point where I'm putting my E2140 on another system as an upgrade but now faced with a decision on what CPU to replace it with.

My specs:
E2140 @ 2.9ghz with Zalman 9500
Asus P5N-E SLI
8800GTS 512
4GB pc6400

What I use the box for:

1) Mostly for work (I work from home) - Googling, scripting, testing apps, etc
2) Some gaming - currently limited to CoH, Warhammer, Crysis. May get new games as they catch my eye.
3) Folding in the background.
4) Movie playback

Thinking about E6750 and Q6600 but can't just pick one. On one hand, having a faster C2D is going to be a big upgrade. On the other, a quad will probably last longer even though I may not fully utilize it today. There's a bit of a price difference and that's why there's this internal debate going on but maybe a comparably priced open box Q6600 would sway me. E8xx series I'm avoiding since I've seen a few threads about how it doesn't quite work with my board. I am on bios v0803 but I don't think that's a guarantee that the E8xx series will work.

Anyways..blue pill or red pill?
 
If you're folding, I think the Quad will be worth it. Q6600 for $200 at microcenter is hard to beat, but it's in store only.
 
Don't have a Microcenter nearby and I missed asking a colleague from Santa Clara currently in town to pick one up!

Local Fry's has the following:

Q6600 - $279
E6750 - $209
E8400 - $275 - apparently they have lots in stock
 
Back
Top