• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Yet another Prescott OC thread... n00b help

Eulogy

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Nov 9, 2005
Messages
3,531
OK, so I'm not a complete n00b when it comes to computers, or OC'ing. But, I have a question, or two :p. I'm on stock voltage (wont be able to change it, due to it being a Sony OEM PC), but I'm OC'd thanks to a neat-o prog I found that allows me to change FSB and AGP values. Currently I'm sitting at 3.67ish and wondering how much more, if any at all, can I go? At this speed, my temp is a steady 56*C-57*C running F@H,S@H, POV-Ray (3D rendering software) and a few misc programs all at the same time (100% CPU load for signifigant amounts of time). I was just curious, as to how much more I can go on stock voltage? Currently CPU-z is showing 1.305-1.310V. My last question is, there seems to be a debate on what is a good, safe limit on Prescott temps. I know 56 is starting to get up there, but what is starting to "push it"?
By the way, here's a link to a screenie for those who might not believe it:
http://bleedingsoul13.titaniumhosting.com/screenie.jpg

Well, thanks for your help. I'm pretty much brand new to these forums... but, I love it here already!
 
First off, welcome to the f orums...

second off, many things contribute to the overall oc potential of your cpu. I'd reccommending reading the stickies to learn more of what you don't know...

I'd also reccommend a better cooling solution which would most likely help increase performace. the lower the temps, the more your processor likes you

i hope i help a little bit, but most certainly read the sticckies for oc'in
 
I have a C0 stepping prescott which is hotter and oc's less than your D0. Oh also dont worry that much about temps precotts are built to get very high temperatures without any damage. The maximum i have had mine up to was 63*c.
On stock voltages if 3.5-3.6 is stable its good. If you want more of an OC you might want to read in to volt mods there might be one you can do. But im not sure(never done it before). Try and keep your agp/pci frequency at stock you do not want to push them more than a few mhz up. So i would definately recommend putting them down to stock 66 i think. Keep trying to get higher and see what is stable but i would only start to worry if you reach 75-80*c otherwise your fine.
 
Well guys, I guess I found my limit. Today, I woke up to a BEEEEEP BEEPBEEP coming from my computer... not good I grumble, fall outta bed, walk over, pull the power plug... plug it back in, same beeping. Ripped it apart today, processor looks fine (no burns or anything like that) and there's no smell of burning. Nothing was even that warm to the touch, either. So, I have a feeling something decided to go ker-plunk on the motherboard... I've tried everything, to my knowledge anyway. Unplugged EVERYTHING (except for mobo power plugs) and turning it on, same beeping. So, my overclocking evidentially killed it somehow :mad:. Called sony just to see if they'd tell me what that BIOS code meant, and they kept telling me to send it in cos it's under warranty... I took it upon myself to explain to them excatly why it's NOT under warranty anymore :p. Lady on the other end said that she'd dig up the codes and e-mail them... according to the page, it's a memory error though *rolls eyes*. So, I dunno. It's time for a new build I suppose. If you read this, look in the FS section, I'm going to be putting up a looooot of things to hopefully get me started... I need a PC ASAP (college student w/o a PC = no good!). Thanks guys though :).
 
Well, it's not dead. BIOS doesn't lie... RAM stick decided to die. Guess that's what happens when you use PC2700, eh?
 
cpu wasnt hot enough to do damage... when my max3 died it nuked my ram as well... but i was pumping 1.625v through the cpu so the mobo was quite stressed, but it ran at a nice 65C, pwm was quite toasty tho.. could fry myself up some bacon on the otes shroud... even with a 40mm sunon in there...guess 4 ghz on a d0 3.2e was a bit much for my psu/max3 :p
 
Back
Top