• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Yet another "Build me a computer" thread

Aeauvian12

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
291
Recently i havent been as into all the hardware coming out, and what's currently the best bang for the buck. I'm helping my friend build a computer with his budget of about 1500-1600 dollars. My dilemma is that the setup must include:

-Case
-All Hardware
-Monitor (19-20 inch lcd, 4:3 preferrably)
-Mouse + Keyboard (Nothing special)
-Semi cheap speakers (Not horrible though, i was thinking an ok 2.1 setup would be okay?)
-Probably going onboard sound unless I see him needing differently, doubt he will be able to tell the diff, we can work that out later)

For the case, i'm thinking nothing too expensive, maybe a clean simple li-li around 100 or less?

Probably just going for one of those 30$ NEC dvd burners off the egg unless I can get convinced differently

The WD2500KS deals have been running frequently lately so probably going to go with one of those for the storage, that'll all he'll need.

On to the nitty gritty- This will be an all around computer, hopefully being able to run the latest games at at least DECENT framerates and be somewhat future compatible for games.

He's pretty set on conroe, so either a e6300 or an e6600 should do fine, but I have no clue motherboard - wise.


Thanks for all your help, it is much appreciated!

PS- He isnt building for a couple months so possibly going with a lower end 80 series nvidia card?

Ninja edit: The cost should hopefully include shipping too, maybe up to the 1600$ mark
 
It's only wasting your time if you feel like replying, no need to be a dick about it. He wants to know which parts now so he can research them himself and decide if it's what he wants. I never said you HAD to look the parts up for me, i was just asking as a curteousy. So the only time i'm wasting is of those who would rather me wait a week or two and ask the SAME question. Hardware wont change enough in 2 months for him to change his buying decision. So next time you feel like being rude, please do it in another thread
 
It took 6 months (maybe a bit less) for the 7600 and 7300 cards to come out after the 7800 cards were released. I'm guessing it'll be about the same for the 8x00 series cards.

Here's a suggested build...
$315 - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz
$210 - g.skill 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2-800 F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ
$155 - Asus P5B-E Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express
$165 - eVGA 256-P2-N624-AR GeForce 7900GS 256MB ($185 - $20MIR)
$250 - ViewSonic VG2021m Black 20" 8ms LCD
$105 - OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI 600W ($120 - $15MIR)
$90 - Lian-Li PC-61 USB Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower
$95 - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS 320GB 7200RPM SATA300 16MB Cache
$31 - NEC 18X DVD±R DVD Burner 7170A-0B
$22 - Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 Black USB Keyboard w/ Mouse
$18 - Altec Lansing ACS33BW 25 watts 2.1 Speaker
==========
$1456 + tax and shipping (after rebates) ... should come out to about $1600 shipped.

Since he's waiting a while, look into an nForce 650SLI/Ultra based Mobo, they should be out soon. If he wants a cheaper vidcard solution until the lower end 8x00 series cards come out, get this (or if he doesnt game/render much):
$115 - BFG Tech BFGR76256GTOCE Geforce 7600GT 256MB ($145 - $30MIR)

If he overclocks, you may want to get one of these:
$65 - Zalman CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU HSF
$55 - Scythe SCNJ-1100P 120mm CPU HSF
 
Thanks a bunch, that one is looking great I'll have him check it over to make sure that's what he wants. He won't be doing any ocing though so I doubt he'll take advantage of the high end CPU cooler. Heck even i'm scared to overclock, even though my rig is in sore need ;)
 
Oh, I forgot to mention... My Seagate 7200.10 320gb is about 10MB/s faster than my WD2500KS. But if 320gb is more than he needs, they now have a 250gb version, so I'd suggest that (costs the same as the KS).
 
Aeauvian12 said:
Thanks a bunch, that one is looking great I'll have him check it over to make sure that's what he wants. He won't be doing any ocing though so I doubt he'll take advantage of the high end CPU cooler. Heck even i'm scared to overclock, even though my rig is in sore need ;)
My CPU is only a 3200+ and it runs everything fine. It's not even close to the speed of yours...

I play HL2 alot and I'm a pro photographer. Photoshop CS2 gets run daily. I am upgrading now...but that's just so some games run even smoother. I don't like anything but my games running 1280*1024 highest settings.
 
ray4389 said:
My CPU is only a 3200+ and it runs everything fine.
To each, his own. I had an AthlonXP 3200+, and I thought PS CS2 ran rather slow on it. It runs so much smoother now with my current setup.
 
Back
Top