Yet Another Build Advice Thread

mikeczyz

Limp Gawd
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming, web browsing, office work.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Looking to spend another $500 bucks.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Bend, Oregon.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Case, mobo, ram, boot drive (ssd), storage drive, psu, and cpu fan.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Already have the i5-4690 and Gigabyte GTX 970 N970G1 gpu. Reusing my monitor and peripherals.

6) Will you be overclocking?
No

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
19x10. 23 inch.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within the next few months.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
I guess SLI support would be nice for down the road, but it's not important. USB 3.0, SATA 6GB/s seems nice. I'm not terribly picky, just need something basic that works.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Will need to buy Windows.

Mostly looking for mobo advice. There are so many choices out there! Also, the last computer I built used the Antec Solo 2 case. I really liked it because I thought it looked nice (I prefer plain, boxy) and the elastic hard drive mounts reduced buzzing and case noise. If possible, would like to use that case for this build. Also need to make sure everything fits in the case. GPUs seem to be getting bigger and bigger.

Upgrade path for me would probably be a GPU upgrade 3-4 years down the line and scrapping the whole box 5-6 years from now.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Come back when you actually are going to buy, that said... I wouldn't wait a few months given the CPU you have since the platform is going to be phased out.
//Danne

Last edited:
Come back when you actually are going to buy, that said... I wouldn't wait a few months given the CPU you have since the platform going to be phased out.
//Danne

Well, I am already in the purchasing phase and am picking up components as my pocketbook allows. As you already know, I've purchased the CPU and GPU.

Do you have a mobo recommendation based on info from my original post?

thanks!

Buying parts as you go is generally a bad idea for two main reasons.

1. What you bought last month might be "outdated" this month if something newer is released for the same or similar price.

2. What you bought when you first started buying things might be DOA and thus you'll be out of the common "30 day return" policy that will prevent you from having to send it to the MFG or paying a restocking fee.

In the case of #1. You bought a 4690 processor when the new 6600K has been released and is available for purchase right now. It's price point is very, very similar to the i5-4690. Thus you're not getting your money worth or your best bang for your buck.

Though since you already have the CPU, now is the time to at the very least, as diizzy said, buy the motherboard for it ASAP. They're being phased out.

Buying parts as you go is generally a bad idea for two main reasons.

1. What you bought last month might be "outdated" this month if something newer is released for the same or similar price.

2. What you bought when you first started buying things might be DOA and thus you'll be out of the common "30 day return" policy that will prevent you from having to send it to the MFG or paying a restocking fee.

In the case of #1. You bought a 4690 processor when the new 6600K has been released and is available for purchase right now. It's price point is very, very similar to the i5-4690. Thus you're not getting your money worth or your best bang for your buck.

Though since you already have the CPU, now is the time to at the very least, as diizzy said, buy the motherboard for it ASAP. They're being phased out.

Motherboards which support my CPU should still be abundant for next couple of months, right? I mean, if I go to Newegg right now, there are literally hundreds of choices.

There might be 100s of choices, but there aren't 100s of good choices. My advice is to buy the motherboard you want ASAP before it goes out of stock for good.

It's up do you, but I agree with Skillz.
Given that you have 500$ and already a CPU and video hard it shouldn't be an issue ending up below 500$ for the rest given the recommendations I linked to.
//Danne

It's up do you, but I agree with Skillz.
Given that you have 500$ and already a CPU and video hard it shouldn't be an issue ending up below 500$ for the rest given the recommendations I linked to.
//Danne

Yup, I'm gonna see if I can't, at the very least, spring for the mobo before end of September. I feel like the rest won't change all that much over the next few months.

Thanks again for the help!

Back