Yet another BF2 problem

malingjc

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey all, I, like many have a BF2 problem, but it doesn't seem to be a common one because I haven't seen anyone else have it.

I have a 9600xt using Cat 5.6s.

The demo worked great, besides the whole CTD after each round (which seemed to be common).

I bought the game and I would CTD after loading any map. I patched and the maps now load.

I get into the maps fine, but I can play for about 2 minutes, will video card freeze for 15 seconds, come back, work for about 30 seconds, video card freeze for 15 seconds, come back for 30 seconds, video card freeze, then black screen on me. The game is still running because I can click my mouse and hear my gun firing, but the whole screen is black and loses sync.

I checked the thermal diode on the 9600xt after it crashes and it is a lukewarm 39C (which isn't bad for any card really), though I have a ati silencer 2 on it also. I also have an Audigy LS if that matters.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like your video card is overheating. Those temps could be wrong. Your computer isnt in a volcano is it? IS IT???

Close enough - It's an Antec Aria, though it does the same thing with the sides off. Those temps weren't known to be wrong ever. I've had the card for 20 months now. The thing runs 31-32C idle generally. I dusted the thing out last week to no avail. I might have to take the card out and take a look at it to make sure the AS2 is still on straight.

Did you over clock your card? A lot of folks had to turn down their video OC. For better or worse the game really beats on the capabilities of what ever card you have. I turned off my OC and everything ran great.

Im running a 9700pro with the latest cats .6 or .8 I cant remember.

I have a 9600XT with Catalyst 5.6 and play with no problem, so there's nothing specific about that combo.

Remove any overclock and disable "Fast Write" if enabled.

I'm playing BF2 with a 9800XT with 5.6's I had ground texture issues but that went away after disabling fast wirtes and upping the AGP voltage from 1.5 to 1.6

urbsnspices said:
Did you over clock your card? A lot of folks had to turn down their video OC. For better or worse the game really beats on the capabilities of what ever card you have. I turned off my OC and everything ran great.

Im running a 9700pro with the latest cats .6 or .8 I cant remember.

I don't have it OC'd - I have overdrive on, but never had any problems with anything before, including CS:S and HL2. I might remove my HDTV wonder and see if the power consumption drop fixes it.

I have an evga 6800Ultra where the newer versions are clocked at 425/1100. I have to run it at 400/1100 in order for BF2 to run "somewhat" smoothly. This only happens in the Nvidia 77.xx drivers though. :mad:

malingjc said:
..........I get into the maps fine, but I can play for about 2 minutes, will video card freeze for 15 seconds, come back, work for about 30 seconds, video card freeze for 15 seconds, come back for 30 seconds, video card freeze, then black screen on me. The game is still running because I can click my mouse and hear my gun firing, but the whole screen is black and loses sync............

I've got an X850XTPE and I get the same screen corruption and then blackout for 30 seconds or so before everything goes back to 'normal'. Happens once or twice a round but I never CTD. Card isn't overclocked and I am/was using the Cat 5.6's. Had the Cat 5.6 overheat fan issue which has been temporarily resolved by atitool fan control, so I don't think my card is overheating. I also have the Cat 5.6 .NET event viewer shutdown problem BTW (The only good thing about the 5.6's for me tbh was my 3DMark05 score went from 5900-6250, a disaster otherwise). I also had ground texture corruption where the sections of the ground go black at times, I have terrain warping where mountains and valley sides ripple and warp as I fly drive past them (and I don't mean mountains clipping into view)
I also occasionaly lose sound effects,textures and animations of my game character or vehicle interior (ie black chopper cockpit and rotating black square insted of blurred rotors) Sometimes I get thick black lines sticking out from my gun conncecting with some distant object. Nearly always have a few grey textureless columns/skyscrapers rising from the ground to the sky.

Anyway just rolled back drivers to the 5.4's and get the same thing.

Don't know whether to blame ati and the drivers or BF2 and Dice.

All that and now the patch issues have made me put a game to the side which I have grown to love (first online shooter to get me back gaming since version one of Day of Defeat) I refuse to play it until the driver/graphical issues are sorted and the server issues are sorted.

WhyYouLoveMe said:
The ATI 5.7s are out... try, try again. :D

Yeah, I figured they should have been out by now but didn't even bother checking the ati site lately as I assumed there would be a rash of '5.7's are out!' threads on various forums to let me know!!

[.....goes off to start download]

:D

Okay. I'll try the 5.7s. I was going to try the Omega 5.6s to see if it fixes it, but I'll try this first.

This whole thing is computer specific. I run the game at 1600x1200 with 8xAA and 16xAF. Also us TMAA at 4X. When I had an X800Xl and 1GB of ram, I crashed all the time at 1280x9whatever, now I never crash. Go figure.

i've noticed the game runs a little more slowly and choppy w/ 5.7's, this game really does depend on your overall hardware... w/ 5.6's i ran 60-75 fps w/ medium, now i can't get a solid 40 fps on 5.7's, and now i get some texture corruption. i noticed that the "fix" ATI has for increased performance on the 64meg and 128 meg cards was just by forcing an increase on the AGP apeture size.

Yeah. I saw that, though I'm running 1280x960 (my disp is WXGA 1280x768, but it works) at medium on a 9600xt and it is smooth enough to play.

With the 5.6s (and even reinstalling my whole OS) I couldn't get it to run without those problems and 5.7s are perfect, so I can't complain about FPS right now. I just played for about 4 hours without a hitch.

Back