Yes, help... motherboard selection...

Zatos

Limp Gawd
I usually can help myself... but in this particular instance it seems there is very little selection to choose from in what I want so I thought I would ask...

I'm basically loooking for either a socket754 or socket939 motherboard that has both PCIe and AGP. I'd also prefer DDR (instead of DDR2) and some SATA and regular ATA connectors. I still have four ATA drives. I just upgraded my video card to an x800 xt all in wonder and I'm not able to afford the upgrade to PCI-e already. I also won't be able to afford to upgrade to SATA quite yet, but as you can see, I'd like to basically have the upgradibility there for the future.

Any ideas?

The reason I ask is because Newegg.com only carries two that I found and neither one seemed very alluring. One even had reported AGP-issues when using an AGP video card.

The obvious 1 for you is the Asrock 939 DualSATA.
it's not perfect but appears to fulfill your criteria & it's cheap too.

That's the one I was looking at, but a couple things concern me about it. Some of the reviews mentioned some AGP problems on that board. I don't know how serious it is because I couldn't find any information on it. I plan to use AGP at first so I don't know if I can rely on it. Also, it seems the performance is not that great on this board. I'd rather having something with more performance, I'm not sure if it would be worth it or not.

Zatos said:
Also, it seems the performance is not that great on this board. I'd rather having something with more performance.
It's pretty much in line with other chipsets tbh.
Some people have had trouble running 1T but in the real world that's only a couple of % & it's CPU utilisation in RAID is poor.

Well after seeing everything, it looks like this might be the motherboard for me. I'm still just worried about hearing a lot of problems with this board. Unfortunately I'm kind of stuck for choices when it comes to an AGP/PCIe combo.

I guess basically now I'm wondering whether it's worth getting this board or going for something a bit better that is AGP only, and screwing the PCIe path until the next upgrade. What do you guys think? Which way would you go?

Or perhaps I should bite the bullet (and forget about upgrading my monitor) and just opt for a pci-express video card instead? Decisions, decisions...

Back