yes another mb recommendation lol

knothead34

[H]ard|Gawd
sorry guys would love your input. i cant decide. i may be coming into a little money soon and was trying to figure out which mb to try for quad core 6700 cpu. i was thinking about the abit i9 max but not sure. not sure which fast hard drives to try either. got video card narrowed down and sound card. actually not sure about ram either was thinking dominator series ram. im leaning towards the thermaltake armor case with the huge fan on the side. i like the fatality series case but its one expensive and two dont like fatality plastered all over it. i do like the construction of it though.

Seems like reading and i do alot of research about 4 hours a night just reading forums that the most stable chipset for dual core and quad core is the intel 975x
chipset..Some of the 965 chipsets are also very stable and o/clock well too...
the nvidia 680i all seem to have growing pains right now......The other board on the intel side thats good and maybe a pink elephant is the dfi icfx 3200 which i like but im afraid its the only one we will see by any manufacturer due to ati not building anymore chipsets for intel cpu's.
On the other side of the coin is the amd quads coming out soon which are called barcelona and these look to be very interesting...I personally am going to wait for the amd's before i make a decision on which way to go...I really like the design of the amd cpu's better than intel with amd having the onboard memory controller..If the amd is close in performance ill probubly go amd ...
Which ever way you decide to go you have to look at the different boards with the chipset you decide on and see which one has the features and price thats right for you.
Am2+ boards will be out in a couple of months and we will see if ati/amd has a chipset that will be stable and o/clock well.
But if your not going to wait and intel is your choise then the 975x is probubly your best bet at this point in time..Im willing to bet that amd has a surprise lurking though to be very competative with what intel has out...The barcelona quads and dual's have a very interesting design and seems like it could be better than intel quads...It wont hurt to wait a little while longer and see...That is unless you need a rig right now...I guess if i had to make a purchase today id have to go intel with the 975x chipset..Id have to do more reading on the 965 chipset and quad performance but from what ive read the 975x is one good choise with the duo and quads.................

i read about barcelona but the person who wrote the article didnt think it would compete with intels quads but you know how that is. i can wait and see what amd has to offer. im not in a big rush. i just have the upgrade bug and cant shake it lol.

what you have post, you still seem a bit confuse. quad core and then ram. you should do a bit more research. when i was looking to buy a mobo, it took me 2 months. it may sound alot but when you consider $250 bucks, it is alot. you should first look at what you want to do. for example, do you plan on overclocking? or not? do you really need quad core, because within a year or two, guess what, it will be replace.

Personally, I'd just drop in an X2 to the system you already have, maybe get another GB of memory and update your video card. Should allow you to wait for the newer Intel and AMD quad cores and still have the benefit of dual core now.

Back