Yes, another comment on my rig thread

jcll2002

2[H]4U
Well, the title just about says it. I just need help deciding between these two setups. Theyre literally the same except for the monitor, hard drive, and cpu.

RIG #1:

x2 4400+
x1900xt
2gb g.skill extreme
a8n-e
74gig raptor
80gb sata 2
raidmax sagitta atx case
535 enermax psu
Dell 2005fpw

RIG # 2:

x2 3800+
x1900xt
2gb g.skill extreme
a8n-e
150gig raptor
raidmax sagitta atx case
535 enermax psu
Sony xbrite 19" 1280x1024

BTW, the computer is obviously for gaming, but I dont really need a hardcore gaming monitor...only one that wont ghost and have backlight bleeding.

My main indecision is about the hard drives and cpu. I dont need one of those 250+gb drives because I barely use 100gb. I dont really audio or video encode that much of the time (sometimes I do), I do game, and I do about everything else normal(you know what I mean).

BTW, the second setup, without the monitor, is about $75 cheaper. I am pretty much right at my budget...

Last thing. I am trying to make this as future proof as possible because I am going to keep it for my entire highschool "career."

Also, I am going to be using stock hsf(s), but there will be some thermal compound on the cpu. I will oc the ram, cpu, and gfx.

Thanks for reading(and hopefully commenting),
jcll2002

the raptor isnt worth it?

The first rig is right at my price point limit...so that would pretty much be maxing it out for me

What about the 4200+? (how will that oc also?)

if your going to oc then the opterons are most likely the best thing...but theyre more expensive arent they?

raptors are generally not worth it...the increase in performance is negligable

The thing is, where im buying from (cyberpower), doesnt guarentee the drive so I basically have to go with the raptor if I dont want to end up with some off brand.

Also, is the difference really worth the extra $115 between the 4200 and the 4400? I mean isnt arent the 4200 and the 4400 the same except fot the extra cache which I was told isnt worth it. The only thing Im wondering is which one ocs better...

Also, the 3800 and 4200 have e4 stepping while the 4400 as e6 stepping. Does that matter because I pretty much have no idea what that is (Iknow, Im an idiot/noob)

Back