Yellow tint on AMVA monitor

BlackJuice

n00b
Hello,

I recently bought a new monitor, it's BenQ GW2460HM with AMVA panel. I am using it next to my laptop Hannstar TN panel. The color difference is quite huge for me, it's mostly fine, but I can't stand the white color that monitor has, that yellow tint. I tried all color settings, but the changes with white were very minor.
So here comes my question. Is is just me, am I just used to the white of my old panel, is it the backlight or there's something wrong about it?
Here's a photo: http://i.imgur.com/thrgUq1.jpg
The photo doesn't show it propely tho, in real it looks like white with yellow tint vs white.

I'd appreciate any replies.

I think your laptop might be at 9000K+ and the BenQ closer to the sRGB 6500K.
But it's just a photo, I can't know for sure.

On my calibrated U2713HM your laptop appears to have an awful blue tint. You might be able to see the difference:
hIcWDBA.jpg

What preset are you using on the BenQ?

Oh color matching via photos of photos very difficult. I see the laptop white as almost baby blue and I'm not getting the yellow tint from the benq but I'm not there.

Unfortunately the photo doesn't reflect it so well. In Catalyst Control Center both monitors have 6500K.
BenQ color preset is Standard, it's RGB 100 each. I've tried changing it, but I couldn't get it even close to the laptop panel. Neither the other way around using CCC.

The setting in Catalyst Control Center doesn't mean anything. If you were to get a color calibration device and calibrate both monitors to 6500K, they would look closer to the BenQ. If you were to calibrate them to 9300K, they would look closer to the laptop panel. You would have to reduce the red and green settings on the BenQ significantly to be able to match the laptop panel.

Cheaply-made TN panels tend to have too much blue. You're probably so used to the blue tint that standard white looks wrong to you. It's also possible the BenQ is a little yellower than it should be, but not by much.

The Ben-Q is fine judging from the picture. It's the Hannstar that needs adjusting. Set it to a warmer color temperature. I know it's difficult getting used to warmer color temps after being used to cooler (bluer) ones for a while, but it's worth doing.

I managed to get a bunch of ICC files for my HannStar panel and it's much better, warmer (calibrated for 6500K), but still BenQ has that yellow tint in comparision. Interestingly tho they work also on BenQ, but I guess it's nowhere close to compare monitors that way? I feel like BenQ has much stonger backlight and maybe it's all because of it?
Photo: http://i.imgur.com/B9erbMY.jpg

Last edited:
I had the same problem with this white yellowish on this Monitor i retuenrd it and have keeped my older BenQ model (GW2450HM) which produces real white and has better contrast.

Last edited:
That's so weird they ruined this in a little model upgrade. Oh well. I'll probably return it, but not sure what I'll get instead.

Your blue monitor still looks blue maybe 7500K-8500K on my calibrated monitor and the benq has a minimal almost not noticeable yellow tone.

It takes around 5 minutes for your eyes/brain to adjust to a new monitor setting so have you tried to:

- Turn your blue monitor off
- Take a 5 minute walk or a cup of coffee
- Then try the benq for an hour and see if you still see the yellow tint

If the yellow tint is still there set the benq to a colder colortemp and see what happens.

Your laptop screen looks way, way, way too blue in both photos you posted. The 2460 maybe looks slightly yellow, but it's a photo so I can't really tell.

If you find your laptop display acceptable, your standards are extremely skewed and you'll need a long break from that to be able to really judge objectively. Perfect 6500k white will always look too yellow for you.

Back