year round hot deal at CompUSA

BigGreg85

Gawd
service plans usually scare people away when the salesmen pops the question or topic.

It really is a good deal especially on stuff like computer hardware....in particular CompUSA offers their TAP program....basically its a 2 yr plan on the hardware....usually pretty cheap.......immediately people are shut off by it....

think of it this way though......

buy the hardware....get the TAP plan....and 2 years later youre hardware is outdated and you are thinking of upgrading.

not soo fast if you have the TAP program....you just simply bring it into a CompUSA...and they will give you store credit towards a similar product (piece of hardware).

not bad especially if you buy the top of the line video card for $500 and want to upgrade a year later or so to the current top of the line.

thewhiteguy said:
That's pretty good if it's true.
It is true. Many people do it through compusa but people rarely mention it. Its kinda of an ethics issue because some people are dishonest with their intentions. These people use it as a way to upgrade their video cards for free every so often. They somehow fake a defect then turn their cards in 12 months later for their free upgrade...not the most honest thing to do btw.

I purchased a radeon 9800non-pro from circuit city last year on sale. With the savings i purchased a similar plan for $50 that protected the item for 3 years. My 9800 non-pro went on the fritz 3 weeks ago (i did no mods to it) and now here i am with a free 9800 pro (see sig) because the 9800np was discontinued & they had to replace it with what they had in stock (9800pro).

These plans are sort of an insurance plan of sorts and are extremely worth it for higher priced video cards >$200+

Edit: Scratch my first paragraph where compusa is concerned. Compusa isn't only warranty'ing against defect, they also cover technology becoming obselete...in other words dishonesty is not necessary to upgrade. CompUsa's plan is much better than Circuit city's...

i work at compusa so if you guys have any questions about the plans let me know. You can drop me a line at falsexfate on aim

Heres a question for you (the guy above):

I bought a 9800XT a few months back and purchased the 1 year plan. Since then I have lost the reciepts (both for the card, and for the plan I puchased). Can I still get it replaced if I need to? Someone told me that CompUSA keeps the serial number and record of TAP in their computers and that I can just bring the card in and get it replaced even if I have no reciepts.

They keep your name, address, phone # ect in the computer in case you do lose your reciept. I just quit from there last week. Be careful on what you buy TAP on though. Printers and PDA's are about the only USEFUL thing they have it on. For most things it DOES NOT cover accidental damage from what our managers have told us.

So it doesn't have to be broke? Or do you "accidently" break it and then take it in because I just don't agree with that.

Spiff1333 said:
So it doesn't have to be broke? Or do you "accidently" break it and then take it in because I just don't agree with that.
I'm 99% sure with compusa it doesn't have to be broke, only "semi-obselete" but be sure to PM the Compusa employees above to be sure.
Bling said:
what about failed attempts to enable extra pieplines?
I'm almost positive that a mod of that sort isn't covered, not that they would know, but abusers ruin the system for the rest of us...

For the most part compusa does not check if an item is working under there replacement plans. They just exchange it out. I know people that would buy the printer replacement plans ($30) and just trade in the printer when they ran out of ink. One thing you have to look at though they go by the specs on something not the price. That 9800xt you buy this year with tap may be replaced by a 150 dollar video card 2 years from now. Now you would still be getting a better card but not that much better. Also plans on PDA's are done through mail order now. They overnight you a refurbished product.

TAP IT!
http://www.compusa.com/tech_services/serviceplans.asp
Turn to us with confidence because we operate every step of our service program. Our TAP plans are more than just service plans; they are an education in technology beginning the day you purchase your product. Whatever plan you choose comes with many standard benefits, giving you access to a multitude of technical support options, training and the expertise of certified CompUSA technicians.

There's four levels of plans:platinum Plan, Gold Plan, Silver Plan, Bronze Plan. Each are outlined on the page. Be sure to read the footnotes (fine print).

For the scammers, all of these plans products list Power Surge Protection. It doesn't really cover what Power Surge Protection means, could I hook my video card up to the 110v power? I doubt it, there is probably some other fine print somewhere... maybe in 1px font on that page or hidden in a comment.

shouldn't this thread be locked? No wonder my fu!!!!! hardware costs so much. I don't care how you validate it, this is theft plain and simple. I don't care what you say to yourself to make you feel better but you are stealing and thats all there is to it.

huxley said:
shouldn't this thread be locked? No wonder my fu!!!!! hardware costs so much. I don't care how you validate it, this is theft plain and simple. I don't care what you say to yourself to make you feel better but you are stealing and thats all there is to it.
Could you please be more specific before making such a blanket statement like that? I saw a few people "asking" about what may be unethical...but i didn't notice anyone blurting it outright. For years Compusa had plans that protect against hardware becoming obselete (not sure about now) in addition to covering the standard defects etc etc etc

Yea he's right about the PDA Plan. They changed that over in October I believe. Before it was just a swap out. The one in Delaware if you just bought the PDA within like 2 or 3 months, they will just swap it out if it's a decent PDA. 2 and a half weeks ago we had TWO 4355's come back that someone dropped and we just swapped them out. But to get a refurb'd one? Not worth the money for it. I can upload a copy of my TAP Card if anyone really cares about it that much lol.

it is true. but the management of compusa sucks ass. i will never work there again. all they care about is making a dollar. seriously. if you walk in there and ask for a deal like 50 bucks off your purchase of a combo, theyd do it in a heartbeat, at least the one at gwinnett place mall. i hate david whats his face. the guys a jerk.

Blue Falcon said:
Heres a question for you (the guy above):

I bought a 9800XT a few months back and purchased the 1 year plan. Since then I have lost the reciepts (both for the card, and for the plan I puchased). Can I still get it replaced if I need to? Someone told me that CompUSA keeps the serial number and record of TAP in their computers and that I can just bring the card in and get it replaced even if I have no reciepts.

yes we can look it up via "dwweb". It stores it, just make sure you remember your information you used it for, and if they look it up by serial #, pray the person who rung up your item scanned the right serial

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They keep your name, address, phone # ect in the computer in case you do lose your reciept. I just quit from there last week. Be careful on what you buy TAP on though. Printers and PDA's are about the only USEFUL thing they have it on. For most things it DOES NOT cover accidental damage from what our managers have told us.

-----
to you, at my store if their is tap on it, we will replace it, they'll cover anything unless the card is literally dented as in you through the peice of hardware against the wall.

SJetski71 said:
Could you please be more specific before making such a blanket statement like that? I saw a few people "asking" about what may be unethical...but i didn't notice anyone blurting it outright. For years Compusa had plans that protect against hardware becoming obselete (not sure about now) in addition to covering the standard defects etc etc etc
I thought the thread made it pretty blunt. Purposely burn your gfx card at the end of your plan and get one that matches it's original retail value. That is what i mean.

huxley said:
I thought the thread made it pretty blunt. Purposely burn your gfx card at the end of your plan and get one that matches it's original retail value. That is what i mean.
I didn't notice th OP writing any of that. BUT, if compusa's plan still works the way it used to...then burning it up isn't even necessary, your covered hardware need only become obselete. Maybe the OP did have dishonest intentions, but i didn't necessarily see/read it that way.

This whole "only has to obsolete" thing... I'd love to see it in writing somewhere, if it exists. If this is the case, then why buy anything except a $500 card from CompUSA and keep TAP-ing the card when the next generation comes in?

-SEAL

when I used to work at compusa , they used to encourage us to TELL customers to break items bought with TAP, and come back before TAP expires and get a replacement. When I worked (2 years ago ) they used to rank the stores by how much tap they sold, so obviously they pushed us to sell tap.

They still do that in DE, execpt now they bundle it in on 80% of the desktops/laptops in the store and won't sell it unless you're buying TAP on it. They actually remove the "real price" and put up a big red "CompUSA Bundle Package" sign. Includes (on desktops 2 YR Platinum TAP, Unmatched, and Training. If they're doing bad on Training they usually get rid of the Unmatched and drop the TAP to Gold and throw in a 30 day PLP That's how the managers get paid. If they hit the buckets for the goals they need they get a higher amount of money. Also if you don't buy TAP at the DE store on a laptop, when they go into the vault it's *usually* on the overhead in there, and they just drop it down onto the floor and say "should have bought TAP". It's a dirty place there and the Managers are even dirtier. (with the execption of one in DE).

hmm

so basically
this is...

i buy a peice of hardware (say a $500 video card), pay a little extra for the program, and later in time i can turn the hardware in for a replacement for free?

can somebody clear this up, im kinda confused on this ;x

Bad_Boy said:
hmm

so basically
this is...

i buy a peice of hardware (say a $500 video card), pay a little extra for the program, and later in time i can turn the hardware in for a replacement for free?

can somebody clear this up, im kinda confused on this ;x

OFFICIALLY no. The replacement programs is meant to cover your purchase in case it malfunctions or fails with the term you pay for (1 year or 2 years). It isn't supposed to be some kind of trade-up program even though people have been doing it for many years.

UNOFICIALLY yeah, you can do it at most stores. It seems the employees at CompUSA are encouraged to sell as many replacement plans as possible and most of them will tell you something like 'hey, you can just bring it in before the plan is up and trade it in for a new model'. When push comes to shove, most CSR's seem to be a pushover when you bring your item in for an 'upgrade'. Those who are hesitant to let you do it can usually be swayed if you mention you are going to buy another TAP for your new item.

I've seen a couple of snooty people in this thread saying 'Hey that's illegal and immoral you're going to hell blah blah'. Honestly, fuck that. If CompUSA pressures it's employees enough to make these promises to TAP customers, and they want to sell enough TAP's bad enough to follow through on these promises,. then I'm sure as hell going to take advantage of it. Nuff said.

And a slightly off topic question for CompUSA employees who may be reading this thread:

Anyone know when brick and mortar CompUSA stores expect to have the X800 Pro in stock?

As far as trading in your video card or anything elce Tap is not ment as an update program as others have said. It is to replace product that is defective or that has failed. Most stores do not check the product to make sure it works. They just replace it with something simular. This means that if you bought a radeon 8500 or something like it 2 years ago and brought it in for a replacement they would prob give you a 9200 or a standard 9600. Since the stores are judged heavly on there Tap% you will see them push it on everyone they can often making it sound better then it is. Also as far as damaging the card if the store sees damage they can refuse to replace it. O the reason they switched the PDA's to a refurb they ship you is cost. They were loosing money on the Tap they sold on them. They may be switching printers to this soon also.

I work at a compUSA too, infact its the same store as falsexfate, and I can tell you obsoletness is covered in the program. As long as we dont have your current model in stock, we will give you your original purchase price to use as a credit for a similar item, which means if you buy the x800 for $500 and get the $65 replacement on it for 2 years, when you come to replace it you can get any $500 video card in the store, because in 2 years the x800 will be probibly 2 generations old and we wont have them in stock anymore

as soon as the x800 hits our shelves, which is june 21 if i remember correctly, i'm getting it and the 2 year program on it, then in 2 years i'll replace it for free and get another $65 replacement on that. i'm going to build a whole new system that way.

and also you dont have to buy the stuff at compusa, if best buy or circuit city have a better deal you can buy the card there and get the replacement with us. I'm pretty sure it covers all online stores as well, such as newegg, but i'll have to double check.

Blue Falcon said:
OFFICIALLY no. The replacement programs is meant to cover your purchase in case it malfunctions or fails with the term you pay for (1 year or 2 years). It isn't supposed to be some kind of trade-up program even though people have been doing it for many years.

UNOFICIALLY yeah, you can do it at most stores. It seems the employees at CompUSA are encouraged to sell as many replacement plans as possible and most of them will tell you something like 'hey, you can just bring it in before the plan is up and trade it in for a new model'. When push comes to shove, most CSR's seem to be a pushover when you bring your item in for an 'upgrade'. Those who are hesitant to let you do it can usually be swayed if you mention you are going to buy another TAP for your new item.

I've seen a couple of snooty people in this thread saying 'Hey that's illegal and immoral you're going to hell blah blah'. Honestly, fuck that. If CompUSA pressures it's employees enough to make these promises to TAP customers, and they want to sell enough TAP's bad enough to follow through on these promises,. then I'm sure as hell going to take advantage of it. Nuff said.

thx for clearing this up bro :)

A friend of mine purchased an IPaq from CompUSA 2 years ago and purchased the replacement program with it. He went in the other week and just told them that it was wasn't working correctly and they gave him a brand new IPaq that was the closest equivalant to the one he had for no charge.

Well, I don't know what SOL means... yes... I'm a newbie... But, it sounds "bad"...

I don't think it's "bad" for the ones who bought TAP before CompUSA wise up. We'll just can't continue that's all. The ones who bought TAP before CompUSA wise up can get their last replacement as they had signed the contract with the original agreement.

My girlfriend works for CompUSA. When my friend's PNY TI 4400 fried, they didn't replace his card. He was able to get store credit for any card he wanted. He put his $170 on a 9600 pro, even though they still had TI4400's. I'm not sure if anyone could do that, or if it was just a "sweetheart" deal (pun intended) :D

rickw512 said:
and also you dont have to buy the stuff at compusa, if best buy or circuit city have a better deal you can buy the card there and get the replacement with us. I'm pretty sure it covers all online stores as well, such as newegg, but i'll have to double check.

Does this apply to stuff that you buy on ebay as well? Lets say I buy a graphics card normally worth $500 for $200 , can I take it to compusa, buy a warranty for $100, then get a $500 card 2 years later and only spend $300 in the process?

" Does this apply to stuff that you buy on ebay as well? Lets say I buy a graphics card normally worth $500 for $200 , can I take it to compusa, buy a warranty for $100, then get a $500 card 2 years later and only spend $300 in the process?"

I may have this wrong, but are you asking if you can buy something off of eBay, then take it to CompUSA and buy TAP on it, then get the replacement card later?

i still dont get it maybe i have to go in to the store. if i TAP it will i be able to get another card 2 years later thats the same price as i paid before. or do i get something equivalant to what i had before? Their would really be no point to take advantage of this if it was something equivalant. it would just be a 2 warranty.

MPython8118 said:
" I may have this wrong, but are you asking if you can buy something off of eBay, then take it to CompUSA and buy TAP on it, then get the replacement card later?

Yup, you got it. Can you only pay $300 for the item now including TAP, but get an item that's worth $500 2 years later???

angel - its people like you who make returns harder and harder to do. i admit ive done it before but that was for like an unopened video game. just dont do it, k? also you cant buy TAP unless its at the inital point of purchase, at least thats what im told

SEALTeamSix said:
This whole "only has to obsolete" thing... I'd love to see it in writing somewhere, if it exists. If this is the case, then why buy anything except a $500 card from CompUSA and keep TAP-ing the card when the next generation comes in?

-SEAL

uh, thats what were saying to do. if they dont have the model anymore (maybe sometimes even if they do if you tell them "they said anything that was the same price". my friend does it with PDA's all the time.

Back