• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Yeah, another "What should I choose?"

ourlad

n00b
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
5
I have been trying to decide on a laptop for the past few months now, however, instead of narrowing my decision down, I end up with new options every day. I am a college student and I like to do a lot of gaming, plus I'll be doing some database and networking work on it, and some compiling. I am looking to get a laptop that doesn't cost more than $2200 with at least a two year warranty. Here's what I'm looking for:

Athlon64 chip, preferably a 3400+,
Radeon 9700 128mb,
60 gig 5400 HD, or bigger, or a similar 7200 one
DVD burner is not necessary
1 gig of ram

I have seriously looked at the m6811, but after callin eMachines, there's no way to upgrade the internal memory without breaking the warranty. Plus, the HD is 4200rpm.
I have also been looking at systems built on the Uniwill 258KA0 chassis from GamePC and M-Wave that look favorable, as well as the Mitac 8355 chassis.

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments???
 
Sager or Dell maybe?
If you're in Canada, Eurocom is another option, but a bit pricey.
 
i've been looking at the sager 4750 a little bit... unfortunatly with the specs i want it's almost 2500... a little too much. A very decent system though. Any other suggestions?

edit: yes i have looked at a dell system, and with similar specs (only Intel too) it would be too costly, thanks anyway though!!
 
Atragon said:
Sager or Dell maybe?
If you're in Canada, Eurocom is another option, but a bit pricey.

he said amd64......dell?

on top of that all the stuff he is intending to run run better on amd64
 
ourlad said:
I have seriously looked at the m6811, but after callin eMachines, there's no way to upgrade the internal memory without breaking the warranty. Plus, the HD is 4200rpm.
I have also been looking at systems built on the Uniwill 258KA0 chassis from GamePC and M-Wave that look favorable, as well as the Mitac 8355 chassis.

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments???

when you change the accessible memory module the warranty wont be void, they are talking about the second module which is unaccessable easly and that is the one that void the warranty, but heard from some peopl that best buy can change that module too against $30 without voiding the warranty, not sure how correct is this info

chaning the hard drive wont make you void the warranty.

40gb 7200 ($135)+1gb pc2700 ($270) +m6811 ($1600)=$2000, you cant beat the price/specifications of this notebook, go for it, but keep in mind it has ati 9600 64mb, and not 9700 128.

good luck
 
you know.... why dont you people just read the other million threads about the same thing before posting?!?
hehe im just kidding... were all here to help :D

anyways... another notebook that i have heard good things about is the Acer Ferarri. i believe that it only has a a64 2800+, and a 4200rpm drive, but another thing to look at...

good luck!
 
ourlad said:
...I have seriously looked at the m6811, but after callin eMachines, there's no way to upgrade the internal memory without breaking the warranty. Plus, the HD is 4200rpm...

the warrenty on my emachines expires in 2 weeks, i waited till now to upgarde the hdd/memory/cpu :D
 
Battalion 101 S-Turbo

Athlon 64 3400+
15.4 WXGA
1024 MB
60 Gb 7200
Radeon 9700 pro
CD-RW/DVD
Win XP Home
1-Year Warranty

$1989

This one is close it meets all of your requirements except the warranty.
 
:eek:
Battalion 101 S-Turbo

Athlon 64 3400+
15.4 WXGA
1024 MB
60 Gb 7200
Radeon 9700 pro
CD-RW/DVD
Win XP Home
1-Year Warranty

$1989

This one is close it meets all of your requirements except the warranty.

Sweet deal Punkrocker! Has anyone every bought from IBUYpower before? Their 6-moth rating is 7.45, not execellent but still alright, plus it looks like their technical support isn't very good.
 
my freind bought a pc from them, he fried his mobo by spraying compressed air on it to long and the liquid fried the mobo, they sent him a new one in the next week, it was great service, i have also bought from cyberpowersystem, ceck there laptops out too
 
Back
Top