Yay! Just ordered two (2) WD 1.5 TB Caviar Green SATA Drives WD15EADS

RavinDJ

Supreme [H]ardness
Just ordered two (2) of the following:

1.5 TB Caviar Green SATA Intellipower 32 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive WD15EADS

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0021L9HE6...iveASIN=B0021L9HE6&adid=0WNJDFS6BZ34YEMDFGPR&

I ordered them from Amazon for $109 each with FREE SHIPPING and NO TAX... yay :p :) :D

I was debating between these and 2TB drives, but these are a little cheaper and the difference in price didn't justify the increased size (besides, when I run of space on these, I'll probably purchase 4TB drives :eek:)

Whatcha think? Any recommendations? Do I need to do a full format?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
ok i'll bite...

1. good job on the purchase (?)
2. why are you asking the forum what to do with them?
3. full format to do what? are these for raid 0 os drive? storage?

sorry if i sound confused, but i'd expect more from someone who has been here 7+ years

on a separate note, if i had $218, i would have bought that 80gb intel ssd (while it was in stock) from the egg

ok i'll bite...

1. good job on the purchase (?)
2. why are you asking the forum what to do with them?
3. full format to do what? are these for raid 0 os drive? storage?

sorry if i sound confused, but i'd expect more from someone who has been here 7+ years

on a separate note, if i had $218, i would have bought that 80gb intel ssd (while it was in stock) from the egg

Same here. Got my 80 GB Intel SSD for $229.99 so I don't feel like I missed to much. Though I wish I could of afforded the 160 GB but even at $414.99 I can't. Still that is one heck of a deal sense the faster one. Like with the latest pulled intel firmware. 100 MB write speeds!

Makmatsu,

Thanks for the post! I'll try to counter :)

1. Thanks for the confirmation of a good purchase. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't overpay and that the drives are alright (as in, I wanted to see if anyone would jump in and say "Noooooo!!! Don't do it!!!" because the drives are not that good)

2. I'm not asking on what to do with them (i.e. use them for storage or data or OS or anything else) but just that I purchased them... alas, I guess you are right in the fact that I ddn't mention what I was going to do with them. They will be used for a file server with lots of VIDEO storage which will NOT be used every day... one is video storage and the other is backup for the 1st one.

3. Should I do a FULL FORMAT or would a QUICK FORMAT suffice... that was my questions. They're not for OS (look above) but rather storage.

Yes, I have been here for more than 7 years... but, what does that really mean? If you look at my post count, it's less than 1 post/day... so, I do have other things going on in my life and I'm not an IT professional by any means and that's why I come here for support. And, likewise... I try to offer support to others whenever I am knowledgable about a topic that someone has a question on.

Thanks, though!

I always recommend a full format on a new drive to check for bad sectors.

im looking to getting 8 of these soon. to fit onto a 8 port areca 1222.

best size and best value for money atm...

I always recommend a full format on a new drive to check for bad sectors.

Same here. Always a full format on a new drive, then quick formats after. If I have a ton of time during a rebuild I sometimes will do a full format, but quite rarely does that happen.

Back