Yate Loon D12SL-12 Question

I just got 5 of these Yate loon fans and they come with the standard 3 pin connector but also come with a male and female 4 pin connector as well. My question is what the 4 pin connectors are for and if I can just remove them? I'm hooking the fans to a fan controller so I don't think I will need the 4 pin connections.

The 4 pin molex is what your power supply has on it for connecting drives etc... It should allow you to connect it directly to the power supply instead of using the 3 pin fan connector on your motherboard.

Since I'm connecting all the fans to a fan controller, do I still the need molex connections? I'm mounting 2 fans on the side of a Stacker 830 and don't really want those molex connectors just dangling there. Bad cable management. :D

removing the molex connector will not alter the fan from performing normally. If you just cut the wires, make sure you seal up the ends so the bare ends never touch.

Those fans are so quiet I don't even think I'll bother with my fan controller anymore. Might wanna check them out before you goto the trouble, they are really quite silent.

I've got a Yate Loon hooked up to my fan controller and there is no discernable difference between high and low speeds. Unless you put your ear right ON the fan you cannot hear the difference. These fans are just spectacular. I leave it on high all the time. I don't even mess with knob #3 on my controller. (the knob with the Yate on it, baby)

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. I got the fan controller for a couple reasons.
1. I wasn't sure how loud the fans would be inside a Stacker 830 since it has vents everywhere (both sides of the case, all the drive bays, on top, and out the back).
2. I got the fan controller as a way to help me with my cable management.
3. It only cost me $10 and it looks pretty cool along with my LED light panel. :D

I did get the courage to unhook the metal piece that holds the wires inside the plastic pin connector. From there I just cut the molex connector off one wire at a time and just put the wire connected to the fan back in the plastic.

I'm looking at soon having a door full of fans in my stacker. Temp issues from 2 accellero x2's. Have to keep the sound in check or the sink swapping will be useless. Adding quiet fans usually does well. I think the curve is considered logarithmic. If you have any fans that are a small handful of dB's louder then Yate Loons, ditching it will do a lot more than adding another few usually.

texuspete00 said:
I'm looking at soon having a door full of fans in my stacker. Temp issues from 2 accellero x2's. Have to keep the sound in check or the sink swapping will be useless. Adding quiet fans usually does well. I think the curve is considered logarithmic. If you have any fans that are a small handful of dB's louder then Yate Loons, ditching it will do a lot more than adding another few usually.

your accellero's are giving you trouble? From what i understand they are good coolers

They are. I have 2 x1900's. Cards are cool as cucumbers but they are spitting fire waste at my chipset! I might as well aim hairdrier heat at my chipset. My issue is my chipset can get to 60C and bring my PC down fast as soon as i start gaming. I am having much better luck with a 120*38mm in the door now, to kind of control noise I've got it at 7v, otherwise it's a screamer. The ones that came with the stacker are very quiet, as is the one on my Scythe Ninja. So not to scare people away from accellero's... the 120*38 in the door is a stop gap measure in a case with whisper intake, exhaust, and cpu fan. Be prepared though, once you start talking two cards! I think I can do better with quiet, albeit, more, fans.

I've read your thread start to finish also. Thanks! Just turning the gears upstairs and ordering soon. Yate Loons might be just the ticket. I was thinking of going with something with more pop because I have a nice fan controller, but I'd still use it on quiet ones at this point. I'm looking at just filling the thing - Stacker 830.

although i haven't picked up any myself the globalwin fans seems to be doing pretty well.
might be worth your time to at least look into them.

Back