Yamakasi for dummies

Mccaula718

Gawd
I've been seeing different things on the forums in regards to Yamakasi, catleap, shimian, etc. monitors. I've found different versions on ebay that i'm interested in buying.

For those who currently own or who have knowledge of them, are there particular things I should be looking for when purchasing these monitors? I remember reading something about a special power adapter they require or something?

Yes, It is important that you buy the ones without tempered glass.

Last edited:
I will list what little I know
the 2B catleap (now very hard to find) is the one that will oc above 60hz, how much depends on your card.
LG (sneaky ninja edit to fix brain fart) panels A- grade, lots of people report flawless screens ymmv
comes with laptop style power brick, works fine in USA with your psu style plug

Last edited:
I've had my Yamakasi since march.

Works flawlessly.
I bought the Yamakasi WITHOUT tempered Glass.
I ordered from DCSamsungmall, Recieved in 2 days. From Korea to New York.
Took it apart, and removed the stand. It is currently wall mounted, and has been since March.
I use an EVGA GTX 460. No compatability issues.
Best monitor I've ever bought.
I need 2 more.

Samsung panels A- grade, lots of people report flawless screens ymmv
Correction, they are LG S-IPS A- panels :p

What is bad about the tempered glass ones?
And tempered glass adds an unneeded additional layer which is slightly more reflective than the models without it.

So unless you have rambunctious kids or annoying co-workers who point at the screen with their pens, i'd personally stick with the non-tempered versions.

spark notes?

no idea what those are but here's the cliff notes:
I've had multiple friends order from greensum and dcsamsung mall with no problems.
I'd vote for either of them. I ordered from dreamseller and he took a few extra days on shipping, but it turned out alright.

To make it simple:
- same screen as 27" apple Cinema Display
- no warranty
- you'll probably get a good LCD with no dead/stuck pixels, but there is a small chance
- no HDMI out on models means less input lag
- don't buy a model with speakers!
- Crossover brand has a nice white metal casing and pivots. The stand is very nice. Other brands have cheap stands and don't pivot.
- get a model without the glass there is a chance for dust stuck behind the glass
- Microcenter has started selling these as "Auria" brand in their brick & mortar stores. If you have a Microcenter nearby, it may be worth considering for the convenient exchange on the small chance you get a stuck pixel.
- some power bricks that come with the LCDs say 220v, but work fine on 110v for most folks. some people have reported their 220v bricks are hot and/or died. My 220v brick still works fine after a few months. A replacement brick will cost around $25. not a big deal. Make sure you get the right polarity on the pins. Wrong polarity won't hurt the LCD, it just won't turn on.

-if you want a chance to overclock the refresh rate to 100hz, you have to watch 120hz.net continuously
- some folks who ordered the "pixel-perfect" guarantee for extra cash still got stuck pixels. buyer beware.

J_Macker pretty much nailed it, except that I have no issues with my speakers model (except that I don't use them lol). They cost like $5 more if that. I'd just ignore any speakers that may or may not be there.

Also, Unless you buy a multi-input variety (more expensive usually), you MUST use Dual-Link DVI to drive these. Nothing else. DP to DL-DVI adapters are expensive. Note that the monitor available from MicroCenter is a multi-input version.

If you want 100-120Hz overclockable versions of these, I'd look at www.OverlordComputer.com at this point, since 120hz.net will take a while to get more (nobody knows how long).

Feel free to ask any specific questions like: HDCP? (yes), VESA mounting?(depends on model, generally yes) etc etc.

Im waiting for an Overlord 120hz model. Id rather have perfect pixel, A grade panel, and glossy to replace my aging 20WMGX2. Pricing for the non 120hz model was 329$ for the regular model, and the multi is 359$ i believe. No pricing yet on the 120hz models.

Back