Yale Security Z-Wave Deadbolt Lock (Amazon Warehouse Deals) $120 Shipped

lifanus

Gawd
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005NLKRAO/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

These are $225 New... Amazon Warehouse seems to be running an additional 15% off promotion so total before tax is at $119.63 during checkout.

I was looking for a Z-wave compatible lock to go with my home security system and it's either this or the kwikset but the kwikset looks really ugly so opted for this one. Review seems to be mostly positive.

Will update when I receive my unit.

Update

I've received the keyless version (Used Very Good condition from Amazon Warehouse) It does not come with mounting hardware, so I have to return them and get the brand new one... Which is not a hot deal by any means... So proceed with caution.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'll try the paperclip thing when I get it... if it can be opened... I'll return and get YRD240...

I dunno, in that video it looks like the door isn't all the way closed when it's picked with the paper clip. looking forward to hearing how it turns out for lifanus.

I dunno, in that video it looks like the door isn't all the way closed when it's picked with the paper clip. looking forward to hearing how it turns out for lifanus.

My wife got so paranoid after I told her how easy it is to pick the lock, I have to cancel my order and spend another $100 and bought the keyless version...

However... after much research (though I'm not a lock-picking pro), any standard lock that's sold in hardware stores, the Yale, the Schlage, even the Kwikset reprogramable, basically the locks that you and I currently own... are Pin-tumbler locks, that can be picked by real pro in less than 10 seconds...

So the validity of keyed lock security concern is to be taken as a grain of salt.. After all, I still have home security system that detects door opening and motion when armed and away.

Cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsJZ_kKjXcE&feature=youtu.be
not exactly related but here's an excellent review of padlocks

the replaceable cores applies to door locks too you can get deadbolts that use the core the padlocks he shows use...

It can get bananas...

Look around his channel a bit you will learn a lot about locks and what to avoid and yes pretty much anything made by master lock is garbage... he has videos showing him opening them with a cat food can lid, a zip tie, a bamboo skewer and a chicken bone... I have after watching his videos been able to pick a few of the master locks i had as well as some mortise cylinders i have... and i have yet to be able to pick the abus i got.

My wife got so paranoid after I told her how easy it is to pick the lock, I have to cancel my order and spend another $100 and bought the keyless version...

However... after much research (though I'm not a lock-picking pro), any standard lock that's sold in hardware stores, the Yale, the Schlage, even the Kwikset reprogramable, basically the locks that you and I currently own... are Pin-tumbler locks, that can be picked by real pro in less than 10 seconds...

So the validity of keyed lock security concern is to be taken as a grain of salt.. After all, I still have home security system that detects door opening and motion when armed and away.

Cheers!
does not even take a real pro watch the youtube channel WetMacula posted after a few of his challenge lock videos i was able to pick locks too. About that quick...

Also those reprogrammable have other weak points... such as the gear pins being weak plastic in the initial versions now pot metal... if mine ever breaks on me i can bypass the lock with an allen wrench and a flat head screwdriver i don't need to even break the core of the kwikset programmable like so many bypass videos have shown...

Last edited:

Yeah you can see a huge gap in the door and can even see the hole the deadbolt is supposed to go into. Although he does clearly show the the paperclip opening and closing the deadbolt.

Cheers!
Why such a big desire for a keypad lock? One huge problem with keypad only locks is you better hope you have additional access to the house with a key, because if the batteries wear down then you're not getting into the house and spending additional money on a locksmith.

And yeah most locks can be picked with someone with the proper tools, which is why it is illegal in most areas to own lock picking/smith tools unless you are a certified locksmith. Get yourself a decent deadbolt and forget the keypad garbage.

Why such a big desire for a keypad lock? One huge problem with keypad only locks is you better hope you have additional access to the house with a key, because if the batteries wear down then you're not getting into the house and spending additional money on a locksmith.

We have a room for rent on Airbnb, sometimes the guest arrives at inconvenient times when we are both working and away from the home. So a z-wave lock allows us to assign temporary codes to guests and if necessary, open/unlock doors and arm the house remotely.

Obviously not cause he didn't say duct tape!

Believe it or not macguyver did not use duct tape all that often he was more of what ever was laying around...

And the locks thing is more of a show at how poorly made master locks are... He also shows bypassing them by hitting them with a hammer on either side this defect is weak locking pall springs combined with the highest security master lock only had 2 spools in it made for a really easy pick...

I use abus padlocks now 6 or 7 pin jobs would love a medeco crazy pins in those things need to be rotated to the right position in addition to height...

I've been in the market to rekey my place with: Medeco or Schlag Locks
I also like American Pad Locks

I've been in the market to rekey my place with: Medeco or Schlag Locks
I also like American Pad Locks

Medeco crazy alien pins in those things need to be rotated raised and has security pins they can be picked but they are not easy...

So in theory this lock can be converted to Keyless... After much thought, my solution... Use an epoxy/superglu or gum or similar stuff that hardens overtime to partially seal the keyhole, that way thief can not access the keyed section and thus making this completely keyless :D:D:D:D:D:D

So in theory this lock can be converted to Keyless... After much thought, my solution... Use an epoxy/superglu or gum or similar stuff that hardens overtime to partially seal the keyhole, that way thief can not access the keyed section and thus making this completely keyless :D:D:D:D:D:D

Get a blank for the lock cut a notch at a 90 then up 45 towards the handle push into lock and break off remaining bit... Then hope the servo never burns out and can still move with the pins all up...

Back