Yakuza 0

Anyone know what point I should progress onwards from Chapter 7, I took over Mars and Jupiter territories in the cabaret game and not sure if I am getting too powerful early on or I should take out all the territories before progressing. Been on chapter 7 for about 10 hours and did most the sub missions as well.

Am I good to progress, I just need to go see Lee and I assume that is probably the end of the chapter.

What is with japanese publishers and ultrawide support?

What is with japanese publishers and ultrawide support?
No idea, I got rid of my ultrawide in June because most games didn't even properly support it and I always needed to use workarounds. I think the only way to get more devs to support ultrawide is having a larger userbase of them. Currently only 0.96% of users have a 2560x1080 and 0.48% of users have 3440x1440 display according to steam statistics. While 90% of users are on 16:9 ratios and the other 8% 16:10 and 4:3.

Untitled.png
Its pretty much Japanese Miami Vice... It is no way near Saints Row lol, its more like Sleeping Dogs without cars.

I mean they literally quote Don Johnson...

Last edited:
This game is long and I am having a blast. I will pick up the new one coming out soon.

Yea I already sunk over 40 hours into this one and I'm only on chapter 10. I'll be picking up Kiwami as well, I might not play it right away, so it feels fresh, but do want to show Sega some support after enjoying Yakuza 0 so much and I got it in the Humble Monthly.

I only played the tutorial, at least to the point where I exited the bar during daytime because I had to go see the boss about that death. I really want to play Resident Evil 2, so I'm probably going to put this off, but this game gives me a Shenmue vibe and I like it. I really hope I can motivate myself to play this after I finish RE2.

I only played the tutorial, at least to the point where I exited the bar during daytime because I had to go see the boss about that death. I really want to play Resident Evil 2, so I'm probably going to put this off, but this game gives me a Shenmue vibe and I like it. I really hope I can motivate myself to play this after I finish RE2.

It was a pain getting past the tutorial with how saves work in this game, if you don't finish chapter 1 all in 1 play session you repeat shit you can't skip. Which is really my only complaint with the game.

I finally started playing again, didn't realize it had been so long since I completed the tutorial part, which is where I picked up. I'm ~8 hours in and still trying to get good at the fighting but I'm enjoying it. Story is good so far (chapter 2, Tachibana) and, for what I assumed was strictly a Japanese game with English subtitles, the humor is relatable from a western perspective.
638970_20201108173007_1.png

Got this on recent sale for $5.

I tried to stay focused on the main story but had SOME distractions (side missions, darts, batting cages, etc.)

I have 50 hours in my main story w/ a few distractions I started & gave up on (I was hellbent on the story).

After I finished the main story, I really wanted to finish some side missions & started a "new game +"
(keep your money, items & skills, but start all missions over)

Then I figured out how to start SANDBOX mode with the "Premium Adventure" menu item
(NOTE: weird menu translations after finishing - do a search for "clear game data vs premium adventure").

After figuring that out, I wanted to "clean up" my side missions & plan to take it slow because - as much as I LOVED the main story - I am a bit burned out on reading subtitles.

^^NOTE: the whole game is subtitled & very "uneven" in it's pacing, so save & save often!

It starts with 10 minutes of cutscenes (do NOT skip them - you need to know who is who) before you ever get control of your character - then it is only a few tutorials you control & then it is another 10 minutes of cutscenes - but at least you are walking through the amazingly busy NEON city during this cutscene. You are really just following your brother into another tutorial, but the cutscenes give you a TON of back story that you do NOT want to skip - it is more of the who's who you need to know (they are basically a lot of Elvis haired uncles w/ large pores & blackheads).

As an FPS player, it was hard to wade thru the RPG intros, but DO IT - you will be rewarded with some really fun combat, a very weird cast of characters & endless side missions & side characters & arcade games...

This game is in my Top 100 on main story + endless / intermittent combat (pacing is really weird - save often).

Last edited:
It starts with 10 minutes of cutscenes (do NOT skip them - you need to know who is who) before you ever get control of your character - then it is only a few tutorials you control & then it is another 10 minutes of cutscenes - but at least you are walking through the amazingly busy NEON city during this cutscene. You are really just following your brother into another tutorial, but the cutscenes give you a TON of back story that you do NOT want to skip - it is more of the who's who you need to know (they are basically a lot of Elvis haired uncles w/ large pores & blackheads).

As an FPS player, it was hard to wade thru the RPG intros, but DO IT - you will be rewarded with some really fun combat, a very weird cast of characters & endless side missions & side characters & arcade games...

This game Top 100 for me on main story + endless / intermittent combat (pacing is really weird - save often).

I got it a bit after the PC port came to steam. I never heard of the Yakuza series until a podcast series mentioned it and how it was "bloody brilliant." I picked it up, and was instantly hooked by it. The game goes from gritty pulp crime drama to batshit crazy so many times. It just hit a chord with me. I found the fighting really entertaining, the side missions, for me were "oh boy, what are they going to do next?" in terms of pure absurdity, and then its back to dramatic crime drama with family politics. I even had fun with the mini-games. I took my time with that game and finished it. I have about 75hrs in it, loved every second.

Kiwami fell absolutely fucking flat for me. The story was just OK, and the fighting was a slog. I can't even remember the mini-games, I think I did them just to finish per requirements and went no further. This one, I put 24 hours into it and couldn't wait to get it over with. Combat felt clunky and rigid, and just not as fulfilling as Yakuza 0. I might have given that a pass, but the Kiwami release, I thought, were supposed to be overhauls of the originals.

Kiwami 2 started out slow, just a slog as Kiwami did. I didn't have high hopes the first 2-3 hours into the game. At some point (really can't describe it) it picked up for me and I'm enjoying it. I'm at the 55hr mark and I think 3/4 through the game. I liked the cabaret club minigame, but hated the tower defense minigame. At least, you could skip them if you so desired. Combat was just OK to decent, but not as enjoyable as 0.

I'm really on the fence about Like a Dragon, mainly due to the turn based combat. I'll end up picking it up, its still a Yakuza game, and I'm a new fan, I guess. I wish they would port Fist of the North Star:Lost Paradise. That seems like it would hit all the Yak0 high points for me.

Back