Yahoo to Change Access for AT&T Customers

monkeymagick

[H]News
We have news from TechCrunch of Yahoo cutting support for users with certain AT&T owned domains accessing Yahoo websites. To ensure continued access for Yahoo sites, users will need to update their registered email address with a different domain or create a Yahoo ID. With the Verizon acquisition, a new Oath brand was launched with both Yahoo and AOL under the media branding while still retaining their names . Since I'm sure most of us act as personal IT support for friends and family, this will be a huge pain in the next coming week and future. Hit the link for a full list of sites affected by the change.

The following are domains losing access:
att.net, ameritech.net, bellsouth.net, flash.net, nvbell.net, pacbell.net, prodigy.net, sbcglobal.net, snet.net, swbell.net, and wans.net.

Users can transfer account data to a Yahoo ID for the following sites:
  • Flickr
  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Fantasy Basketball
  • Fantasy Football
  • Fantasy Hockey
  • Yahoo Groups
  • Tumblr
To change your registered email address, take the following steps:
  1. In a web browser, click "Settings" under the account menu at the top of the dashboard (looks like a person's silhouette).
  2. To the right of your email address, click the pencil icon.
  3. Update the email address and confirm your password.
  4. Save your changes.

The move provoked some uproar among net neutrality advocates, but it seems to be less about creating walled gardens and more about cleaning up prior commitments and pre-existing partnerships.

Honestly I'm not sure which company should be blamed for this dick move; AT&T or Verizon. Yahoo was pretty much the host for all att.net and other legacy mah bell websites and email addresses.
With Yahoo being purchased I could see AT&T not wanting any of their services continuing to be supported by their #1 competitor. I can also see Verizon not wanting to have anything to do with supporting any of AT&T's business, regardless of the reasons.

But you are right. This is going to suck, particularly for AT&T technical support. Most of the x.net email addresses hardly every work with any email apps other than the Yahoo mail app. Can't wait to see how they get around this issue now >.>

Figured this was coming when the merger was first announced. The only issue in doubt was how they would handle the split. AFAIK, my swbell.net address was never tied to any yahoo stuff and as of a few minutes ago was still getting pop access with thunderbird. Already had a yahoo address when the AT&T/Yahoo co-op agreement came in and didn't see the advantage to migrating my swbell account to the yahoo family.

Echo the "this just created a long distance pain in the ass" thought for those of us with family using Yahoo/AT&T.

No changes to AT&T Yahoo email accounts so that is the most important part. It is a bit more professional sounding email address than the @yahoo.com.

*checks email* hmmm no email from yahoo telling of this, *checks date* oh 4 days away from when I'll lose email access. Well this does certainly suck, doubly so because I never had an account through AT&T ... at least directly. I'm a legacy bastard from the Pacific Bell days, back when AT&T didn't buy up all the regional bells to remake the thing the government forced them to break up into. So yeah basically my entire existence of internetdom has had this email account, want to say just north of 20 years, it's that I was "seamlessly" moved from one server to another, and now I'm being thrown out to the curb.

So yeah all the spam email resets with a new email, that's good... kinda (not really because I autofilter everything to spam folders). But the worst is trying to remember every account that was tied to my email in the next 4 days.

le fucking sigh

I'm a legacy bastard from the Pacific Bell days, back when AT&T didn't buy up all the regional bells to remake the thing the government forced them to break up into.

Just a quick correction - AT&T "proper" didn't buy up the regional bells. Southwestern Bell (the biggest regional Bell) bought AT&T, then changed their name to the nationally recognized brand.

More on topic - I hope snowcrash is right. I haven't used any Yahoo services, but make heavy use of my old @sbcglobal.net email account.

Just a quick correction - AT&T "proper" didn't buy up the regional bells. Southwestern Bell (the biggest regional Bell) bought AT&T, then changed their name to the nationally recognized brand.
True, I seem to recall they were SBC global who snatched them up, then it was SBC Pacbell (at least in this region), then they did an Infogrammes moment and just renamed the whole company back to AT&T.

More on topic - I hope snowcrash is right. I haven't used any Yahoo services, but make heavy use of my old @sbcglobal.net email account.
Decided to click one of the other links, and yeah according to the link
Note: There is no change to your AT&T email account.
So internal crisis averted with that, so basically like I give a shit that I can't get onto Yahoo Fantasy Sports page with my pacbell email ... hell I made a yahoo account specifically for that because I knew they'd spam the fuck out of me :D

Back