Yahoo Messenger SuperCam issue...

PTNL

Supreme [H]ardness
Firstly, I was using a Linksys BEFSX41 vpn/router and tried establishing a SuperCam session but (of course) ran into the port forwarding/triggering issues already documented by many sites.

So I have *temporarily* disconnected my router and have hooked my PC directly to the cable modem (ethernet, not usb). I have restarted my cable modem and my PC, started Yahoo Messenger, went to the same place in to start the Supercam (Messenger menu --> Start my webcam), and the my webcam starts up and at the bottom of the window it says "Supercam mode unavailable". Now I'm stumped ...

To go further into details of my setup: I am using a fresh (as in today) installation on WinXP Pro on my AMD 64 3400+ and Asus K8V motherboard. I have WinXP fully updated, all hardware (including motherboard chipset) drivers installed with the latest versions. My webcam is a Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 (one of the approved webcams for Supermode as listed on Yahoo's site) and using the latest Quickcam drivers from Logitech's website. Yahoo Messenger is running the latest version (v6.0.0.1750). I am not yet running any software firewall (not even the built-in XP SP2 Internet firewall).

My questions are as follows:
1) Does anyone else use the Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 ??
2) Should SuperCam mode even be available when I simply tell Yahoo Messenger to turn on my webcam, or does Supercam *only* apply to person-to-person live video chat? (side note: if supercam only applies for person-to-person chat, then why does yahoo have the link stating "supercam is unavailable" ??)
3) How can I tell from my end if the needed port range is being blocked by my ISP ??

If anyone has any suggestions/guidance then please let me know.

- Steve

Back