Yahoo Mash Gets Smashed, Bashed, Quashed

HardOCP News

[H] News
Yahoo Mash is closing down, apparently no one liked it. Well, at least not enough people liked it to keep it open. Any of you ever use the site?

An e-mail to Mash members from Yahoo community manager Matt Warburton read, "Thank you for trying out our Mash Beta service. We hope you had fun with it. Please note that we will shut down Mash on September 29, 2008. As a result, your current profile on Mash will no longer be available."

Same here, I came to the forum to see if anyone knew what it was before I googled it.

I also never heard of it until today, and it's been in operation for one year?? WTF??

I can see why yahoo is in major trouble to say the least, and the execs wonder/act like everything is ok or they're doing an awesome job. :rolleyes:

I'd bet money that you could pick a board of directors from a decent group of people off these forums and do just as well. :p

Mash was Y!s Myspace/Facebook. The twist was your friends could edit your page and add things (not just comments), hence, Mash.

Comments link on the front page is broken...

But yeah same as you guys... WTF is Yahoo Mash?

Mash was Y!s Myspace/Facebook. The twist was your friends could edit your page and add things (not just comments), hence, Mash.

wasn't it a closed beta anyway?

plus...we have enough social networking sites. they've basically become huge time wasters, not only to use, but to update and maintain. it doesn't surprise me no one used it. those who used it prolly used more than one other site in the first place and didn't feel like maintaining another. oh well.

wasn't it a closed beta anyway?

plus...we have enough social networking sites. they've basically become huge time wasters, not only to use, but to update and maintain. it doesn't surprise me no one used it. those who used it prolly used more than one other site in the first place and didn't feel like maintaining another. oh well.

It was mostly closed, yeah, but you could get in pretty easily if you requested it. It had other unique things at the time (you could develop apps for it, but in a much easier fashion than, say, Facebook). Its true though, the world didn't need YASN (yet another social network).

I'm going to go WAY out on a limb here and say that the failure may have been due to not telling anyone about it. If this many regular web browsers (the human kind) had never heard about it...

I'm going to go WAY out on a limb here and say that the failure may have been due to not telling anyone about it. If this many regular web browsers (the human kind) had never heard about it...

Think its more than that, but yeah they didn't advertise it at all. No one really knew about it, other than us Yahoo!s and some select outsiders.

Back