Yahoo, Jailed Journalists Settle Lawsuit

HardOCP News

[H] News
Yahoo has settled that lawsuit with the Chinese journalists after the company provided authorities with information about their online activities. Financial details of the settlement were not released.

The two journalists and a family member sued the Sunnyvale-based company earlier this year after Yahoo HK, Yahoo's wholly owned subsidiary based in Hong Kong, gave Chinese authorities e-mails containing pro-democracy literature. The jailed journalists alleged in the lawsuit that jailers have tortured them and that Yahoo was responsible.

Well, at least the journalists have been compensated, doesn’t take back what happened to them but it helps.

I hope the money was enough to help pay for the years of psychiatric help they will need if the torture was that bad. :(

You've got to be kidding. Why should Yahoo have had to pay anything? Yahoo was following the laws of the Chinese government within which country they were operating. This fool was the one breaking the law by posting the pro-democratic material. He knew what he was doing. Yahoo wasn't holding a gun up to his head making him do it. This sort of thing really burns me up. No-one accepts responsiblity anymore for their actions. They always blame someone else and say, show me the money.

You've got to be kidding. Why should Yahoo have had to pay anything? Yahoo was following the laws of the Chinese government within which country they were operating. This fool was the one breaking the law by posting the pro-democratic material. He knew what he was doing. Yahoo wasn't holding a gun up to his head making him do it. This sort of thing really burns me up. No-one accepts responsiblity anymore for their actions. They always blame someone else and say, show me the money.

That's partly true, but on the other hand, he accepts responsibility of his actions, but Yahoo butted in and didn't mind their own business.

Exactly, nobody accepting responsibility anymore. Just like Yahoo execs feigning ignorance when they got caught lying under oath to Congress regarding this very case.

If the price to pay for doing business in China is sending people to jail for free speech....compensating these journalist and their families is part of "that price."

No?

If the price to pay for doing business in China is sending people to jail for free speech....compensating these journalist and their families is part of "that price."

No?

No, it should not be part of the cost. China does not allow free speech. I am not saying I agree with communist rule, but those are the rules there and China's people should expect to be held accountable to it. Yahoo is a tool, nothing more. What is done with that tool is based on self decision. That is sort of like blaming the gun manufacturers for committing the murder, not the person doing the shooting.

Exactly, nobody accepting responsibility anymore. Just like Yahoo execs feigning ignorance when they got caught lying under oath to Congress regarding this very case.

I agree. They shot themselves in the foot for not being truthful. Personally, I don't think they had anything to hide, so they were idiots in that regard.

Yahoo wasn't holding a gun up to his head making him do it.

Yep, and extreamly lucky some chinese official did not hold a gun to his head and pulled the trigger as well. Being journalist and known outside of China and the publicity is probally all that saved him/them from vanishing in the night.

Just passed Veterans day reminds me of how sick this nation is that fought WW2 for all the right reasons but is now so damned greedy to make a buck off of a billion oppressed people that we ignore the underlying principles our nation was founded on. And dont get me started on "Homeland Security". Your chance of being killed by a drunk driver is about 100,000 times more likely than dieing to a terroist bomb your next trip to the mall. It is all going so horribly wrong in so many ways.

Being journalist and known outside of China and the publicity is probally all that saved him/them from vanishing in the night.
QUOTE]

I agree, Yahoo had to know this was going to happen, they know it will happen again, and they better dam well know in the future, one or more victims will not survive the torture.

I’ve got a $100 that say’s Yahoo will throw a bag of nickels at the victims family and pretend it’s just part of doing business.

It makes me sick I have to live in the same country as these people.

Back