YAFU

Gilthanis

[H]ard|DCer of the Year - 2014
I have started running a few VM's to test some of the multi-threaded apps. So far:

Recent work units are showing:
8 core - 1 point every 20 seconds
4 core - 1 point every 10 seconds
2 core - 1 point every 54 seconds

http://yafu.myfirewall.org/yafu/forum_thread.php?id=147&postid=688#688

Looking at Grandpa's work on some 64 thread machines he was getting 1 point ~ every 3.9 seconds.

Edit: I created an account called HardOCPtest so that anyone whom wanted to test or contribute anonymously could do so.

•to attach a computer to your account without using the BOINC Manager. To do so, install BOINC, create a file named account_yafu.myfirewall.org_yafu.xml in the BOINC data directory, and set its contents to:
<account>
<master_url>http://yafu.myfirewall.org/yafu/</master_url>
<authenticator>13481_4146dd014252b4ad8a5a3c18f98b5b79</authenticator>
</account>

teamdaily.php

Last edited:
Todays results showed:
2 core: 1 point ~ every 60 seconds
4 core: 1 point ~ every 32 seconds
8 core: 1 point ~ every 17 seconds
16 core: 1 point ~ every 13 seconds

The radical shifting of the numbers is more than likely attributed to the CreditNew systems for points that will adjust itself over time. However, the point of this experiment was to see if more cores will eventually lose an advantage over using less cores. I plan on giving this a week or two of testing.

Posted today
Hello,

I want to compile a dnetc version for yoyo@home which runs also on Android 5 (Lollipop). The current version doesn't run there.
So if you own a Android 5 device or know somebody who has one, please attach to yafu. Currently this should lead to errors. But keep them attached so I can provide a new version and see if it is running.
Please ask also in the forum of your team.

Many thanks,
yoyo

http://yafu.myfirewall.org/yafu/forum_thread.php?id=169#750

Yafu has been down for a few days. YoYo is away from home at the moment (the project is hosted from there) but said he would take a look at it some time tomorrow when he gets back.

There appears to be some work units crediting insane amounts of points at this project right now. The project uses the CreditNew scoring system but some work units are super high scoring. An example is like 68k for 11 hours of work on an Octacore.

In the past...it would have been around 1980 points.

From the looks of things...there are some that are fiercely enjoying the bounty..... I hope YoYo takes it serious and addresses it.

Back in 2014, my tests showed quad cores were the best points/work units. This app is multi-threaded, so best to run multiple VM's than to run a single client using all cores.

Last edited:
Looks like a few teams were aware of the skyrotted points and were taking advantage of them. YoYo is aware and has already made adjustments to address the problem. I doubt he does anything retroactive which is a shame, but those exploiting it will see their RAC's drop.

https://yafu.myfirewall.org/yafu/forum_thread.php?id=300#1120

The difference between all apps is that they run composites with different length:
- yafu small, requires at least 2 cores runs composites up to C109
- yafu, requires at least 2 cores runs composites up to C124
- yafu-4t, requires exactly 4 cores runs composites up to C129
- yafu-8t, requires exactly 8 cores runs composites up to C134
- yafu-16t, requires at least 16 cores runs composites up to C139
- yafu-32t, requires at least 32 cores runs composites up to C144

In the wu name is a _Cxxx_ part which tells the length of the composite.

Yafu tries different methods to factor a composite. For this it also invokes external commands as ecm or gnfs and some parts are done by yafu.exe itself.

There are also some phases which can be done only single threaded.

Yafu sucks. Their estimated finish time is always way off. If your CPU is maxed out on the 8 cores then its doing what it needs. If the CPU isn't under load then its errored out and you need to abort it.

Not necessarily. There may be times that the application only needs one of the the cores during its cycle. It would be best to wait for a reply from YoYo.

I can't find it now, but he said if the process isn't using any CPU cores then its crashed. Abort it.

Welcome to Credit New or Credit Random as many have come to call it. Allegedly over the long run it balances out but I don't agree.

Yeah I've noticed similar crap with them.

I also stopped running their high core count WU's because they consume the boxen for so long and don't play nicely with other projects. Their < 8 core work units wont take up all the cores on my 48 and 64 core systems so other stuff can run with them.

At least you guys can run it. Whenever I run a YAFU task, it crashes my system. Blue screen and a BAD_POOL_CALLER error. Pretty neat!

I haven't tried on Linux, but I don't want to tie my system up in Linux if I don't have to.

Overclocked?

Yeah, insanely, actually. I considered it before, but no other projects are even returned failed results. That said, I'll shut it down later when my yoyo tasks complete and give it a go again.

Yes...and keep in mind the labels on the badges are currently wrong as well. So, don't be surprised if they change while being fixed.

Back