Xubuntu Display Problem

tmclaugh

Limp Gawd
Here's the deal. I nabbed the intel ITX board, some cheap RAM, and threw it in a box. Everything works fine when I use a nvidia video card, but when I use the onboard video I get these funky lines that I cannot change for the life of me. When I choose a different resolution, it says it has changed it and give me the countdown till it reverts back. But it doesn't change at all. Seeing as how this is my first linux project, I know nothing. Any and all help will be appreciated.

The board I'm using is a the Intel BLKD201GLYL. Also, I did not have this problem when booting Windows PE.

On a side note what is the difference between xubuntu and ubuntu :confused:

funkyvideo.jpg

funkyvideo2.jpg

Ghetto pc on the cheap!
I-Opanel.jpg

overview.jpg

CDROM.jpg

I'm not sure about the lines. Bad hardware perhaps?

As far as the difference between Ubuntu and Xubuntu, the biggest difference is Ubuntu uses the Gnome desktop enviornment, while Xubuntu uses Xfce. Xfce is especially nice for older hardware, because it's not as demanding as Gnome or KDE (which is used in Kubuntu). You can have more then one desktop enviornment on a Linux box. I originally installed Ubuntu on one of my machines, but later added Xfce, just to mess with it. I can flip between the two.

EDIT: I forgot to mention... nice case on that thing :D

Looks like a refresh rate problem to me. The next thing to do is google search xrandr and learn how to use it. It may be able to solve your problem

I'll try that tomorrow at work. I did try a bootable "Slax Kill Bill Edition" and it worked fine.

I am surprised that this box hasn't overheated yet, duct tape is a really good insulator. The board runs really cool except for the north bridge. Highly recommend it!
Thanks for your replies.:D

Yeah it was a refresh rate problem... I had to find another distro that let me lower the resolution and change the rate. I'm still educating myself on how to do the "nitty gritty" stuff in Linux. Thanks for the help!

Surely that thing needs to go in the ghetto gallery in the case mod forum....? It's worth at least 3 food stamps :D
(that's a compliment, by the way)

Back