XSPC Rasa vs Enzotech SCW?

techobrien

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 27, 2010
Messages
132
I've heard very good things about both the XSPC Rasa and the Enzotech Sapphire CPU blocks, but I have no idea which is better as I can't find anyone who's stacked them up. The Enzotech used to be cheaper, but now its $52 with the 1156 retention bracket, whereas I can pick up the Rasa for $50.
In the 22 Block lineup (http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1524206) the rasa seems to do very well, but unfortunately the sapphire isn't in that test.
Any thoughts on which would be better for me? I'm cooling a Core i5 760 with minimal overclock.

Cheers
 
The Rasa is a semi-restrictive* block while the Sapphire isn't. So if you're running a very low powered pump with a few blocks in the loop, you will probably run into some temperature issues.

Honestly, I think the XSPC Rasa is the best CPU block you can get.. unless you can find a used Heatkiller or EK Supreme HF.

*bundymania's review is with a prototype sample. The retail block is shown to be a bit more restrictive. Review 1 / Review 2
 
The Rasa is a semi-restrictive* block while the Sapphire isn't. So if you're running a very low powered pump with a few blocks in the loop, you will probably run into some temperature issues.

Honestly, I think the XSPC Rasa is the best CPU block you can get.. unless you can find a used Heatkiller or EK Supreme HF.

*bundymania's review is with a prototype sample. The retail block is shown to be a bit more restrictive. Review 1 / Review 2

I'll be running an MCP 355 with XSPC acetyl top and only the one CPU waterblock, so I feel like flow-wise I should be good either way.

How much do you think that "unless" clause is worth? I can pick up a Heatkiller 3.0 LT for $63...so $13 isn't a bad price to pay if it would drop me a couple degrees.

Thoughts?
 
I'll be running an MCP 355 with XSPC acetyl top and only the one CPU waterblock, so I feel like flow-wise I should be good either way.

How much do you think that "unless" clause is worth? I can pick up a Heatkiller 3.0 LT for $63...so $13 isn't a bad price to pay if it would drop me a couple degrees.

Thoughts?

MCP355 is great for restrictive loops, so you're good to go with pretty much any block combination out there.

Does that Heatkiller include the backplate?

BTW, I had both the Heatkiller and Supreme HF and in the end.. temperatures were nearly identical. I prefer the EK block a smidgen more because of their retention plate.
 
MCP355 is great for restrictive loops, so you're good to go with pretty much any block combination out there.

Does that Heatkiller include the backplate?

BTW, I had both the Heatkiller and Supreme HF and in the end.. temperatures were nearly identical. I prefer the EK block a smidgen more because of their retention plate.

Sweet, good to hear! That's what I figured since there was only one block in my loop, so it really just comes down to thermal performance for me.

I think it does include the backplate...at least it alludes to including everything when they say "Includes mounting hardware", but then they also sell the backplate separately....
Have a peek: http://www.jab-tech.com/Watercool-HeatKiller-CPU-LGA1156-Rev.-3.0-LT-pr-4603.html
 
Sweet, good to hear! That's what I figured since there was only one block in my loop, so it really just comes down to thermal performance for me.

I think it does include the backplate...at least it alludes to including everything when they say "Includes mounting hardware", but then they also sell the backplate separately....
Have a peek: http://www.jab-tech.com/Watercool-HeatKiller-CPU-LGA1156-Rev.-3.0-LT-pr-4603.html

Ah yeah, that doesn't include the backplate.. just the basic mounting hardware. Most stores don't include it anyways, you have to pay extra which kind of sucks.

At this point, I would get the XSPC Rasa.
 
Ah yeah, that doesn't include the backplate.. just the basic mounting hardware. Most stores don't include it anyways, you have to pay extra which kind of sucks.

At this point, I would get the XSPC Rasa.

Gottt it, yeah that does suck, and brings the price up to $70 or so. Rasa it is! And I feel pretty good about that choice, seems to be a solid block.

If you don't mind me asking you guys another question (would rather not start another thread):
For the life of me I can decide between these two options:

  • XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25” Reservoir Pump Top + Swiftech MCP 355
  • OR
  • XSPC Single 5.25" Reservoir + XSPC Acetal Pump Top + Top Swiftech MCP 355

I understand that the stand alone pump, top, and res has a higher flow than the pump top / res combo, and it would also theoretically provide less vibrations due to the difficulty of insulating the dual bay res / pump top combo. On the other hand the combo top is cheaper...and I have to buy fewer compression fittings :p Have you had experience with these or any other factors you think I should be looking at? I'd like to avoid a T line due to the compact-ness of the case (Lian Li V352)
 
Bay res/pump combos are nice since they help eliminate a lot of tubing and make a cleaner look to your loop. However, they do vibrate and if you aren't using enough insulation it will drive you nuts.

Another good alternative is the XSPC Reservoir Top.
 
Bay res/pump combos are nice since they help eliminate a lot of tubing and make a cleaner look to your loop. However, they do vibrate and if you aren't using enough insulation it will drive you nuts.

Another good alternative is the XSPC Reservoir Top.

How would you suggest insulating the dual bay? Seems like a tight fit and I'm not too sure I could fit much dampening material there.

Hmm that top / res might just work, but it would definitely be a tight fit (not too many places to put the pump in that case). Would that pump / res top work being run on it's side? Or is it strictly vertical?
 
Ooh yeah, I see you're using a small case. I would stick with using a bay res/pump combo.

As for keeping it quiet, I would recommend lots of foam padding and rubber grommets. Since you're using a smaller case, noise probably won't be a huge issue. For me, I was using a full tower so the sound was resonating throughout.
 
Ooh yeah, I see you're using a small case. I would stick with using a bay res/pump combo.

As for keeping it quiet, I would recommend lots of foam padding and rubber grommets. Since you're using a smaller case, noise probably won't be a huge issue. For me, I was using a full tower so the sound was resonating throughout.

Sweet that's the way I'll go then (and it's cheaper too, always welcome ;) )
I'm getting some stick-on noise dampening material (http://www.jab-tech.com/Noise-dampening-material-pr-1845.html) to put on the side panels of the case, do you think it would be sufficient to wrap the dual bay unit in it as well?

In addition I have these to use:
HDD-RBScrews.jpg

I'm hoping they'll fit in the slats in the 5.25" bay
v352-26s.jpg
 
The res will fit pretty tight. So I don't think you will be able to wedge anything on the sides. I found that putting some foam underneath it (near the pump) helped a little.

Oh, I totally forgot. There are some other reservoir/pump tops. Alphacool use to offer a standalone reservoir top but I can't find it. PPC has the pump+top for $110.

*Edit*

Ah, and here is one from Bitspower.
 
The res will fit pretty tight. So I don't think you will be able to wedge anything on the sides. I found that putting some foam underneath it (near the pump) helped a little.

Oh, I totally forgot. There are some other reservoir/pump tops. Alphacool use to offer a standalone reservoir top but I can't find it. PPC has the pump+top for $110.

Hmm ok I'll try to put some on the bottom then. I might also get a block of PT's "gel stuff" (http://www.petrastechshop.com/pegviabbl.html) if there's enough room and also use those screws / washers.

I definitely like the look of the alphacool res / pump top too, but the 108 mm overall size is significantly larger than the 85.5mm space I have to put it in :( Unless I put it on its side...
 
Back
Top