XSPC 4870x2 Block + Apogee GTZ Install + Feser 480 B4 / After Temps

CaptainSoble

Limp Gawd
Ok, finally got everything I need, and started installing. I got the full XSPC 4870
x2 VGA block, swiftech apogee GTZ, Feser 480 Rad, 655 Pump, Reservoir, Tubing, ETC.
Here are my current temps with stock cooling on the 4870x2 and the Zalman 9700NT. This is all going in the rocketfish.

TempsBeforeWaterCool.jpg

I just realized that when I OC'd the Q6600 to 3.6GHZ I left the voltage the same as I did
when it was clocked at 3.2ghz. Perhaps that's why the temps are a bit better than when
it was clocked at 3.2. Either that or maybe I turned the fan up full blast when I went to 3.6
...can't remember. Any how, the idle temps of the 4870x2 only seem good because the
fan is at 50%. And at 50% it's very loud and quite annoying. Also the Zalman fan at full
blast is also very loud.

Just barely installed the Feser 480 on the top panel on the rocketfish.

FeserBackSideSoble.jpg

FeserInstalledYatessoble.jpg

Wish I had black fan screws might look better, but had to settle for the Lian Li Fan
Screws that came with the case. Using Yates D12SLs and they are surprising very quiet...
a lot quieter than the Lian Li Fans that came with the case. The Rad fit nicely,
and still leaves a bit of clearance for the fillport. Next step is to test the line out of the case.

Get some black Testors model paint at a hobby shop and touch up the screw heads.

Moving to watercooling.

Can you please tell me what kind of case do you have?
What is the max temp for the 4870x2 after 3h of gaming?

Can you please tell me what kind of case do you have?
What is the max temp for the 4870x2 after 3h of gaming?

I have a Rocketfish case, or rebadged lian li that you can get at best buy for about $50.
Been a while though so I'm not sure if the BB still carries them.

Finished my set up this afternoon as am very satisfied with the outcome. There were some
negative results however:

The Good:

4870x2 Idle: 27-29c
4870x2 Load / Crysis after one hour: 32-35c

The Bad:

Q6600 3.2GHZ / 1.3V Idle Temp: 33C
Q6600 3.6GHZ / 1.35V Idle Temp: 35C

More Good:

Q6600 3.2GHZ / 1.3V Prime 95 after 1 hour: 44C
Q6600 3.6GHZ / 1.35V Prime 95 after 1 hour: 48/49C

All temps are from the hottest core. I think the idle temps are kind of high, but perhaps
this is due to the order of my loop? Regardless, 49c at 3.6 running prime 95 after an hour is pretty good in my book.

I made a few changes and went with the ek res since my case can handle it. Also went with the Apogee GTZ instead of the GT. FYI on the XSPC Razor 4870x2 Block...as you can see from my temps in Crysis above, it's a superb block, and for some reason, the cheapest 4870x2 block at only $90. I'd highly recommend this block.

Some pics:

GPUCPUINSTALLED.jpg

finsishedloop.jpg

installationcompleted1.jpg

installationcompleted2.jpg

you might have better CPU temp if you switch flow order around, currently you have the CPU after X2.

you might have better CPU temp if you switch flow order around, currently you have the CPU after X2.

Do you mean because he has the pump dumping to the CPU before going to the radiator? The outlet on his D5/Swiftech is on top which means its going from Reservoir to pump to CPU to radiator, to his x2 and back to the reservoir. He's getting the heated water from the x2 collecting in the reservoir, then the heat dump from the pump pushed to the CPU before its cooled by the radiator. Yea, I'd change the loop order as well.

@ MrE, exactly. He didn't give the CPU the most cooled coolant, he's giving his CPU the warmed coolant instead. The coolant got heated from the X2 and pump.

@ CaptainSoble, you may have better temp for the CPU if you reverse the flow order. The Cpu gets the first coolant come our from the rad and then X2. Don't forget the gfx card can operate at higher temp than CPU so don't worry about giving it the most cooled coolant.

I always try put the CPU first in the coolant flow order, then NB/GFX, and the least hot component will be the last in the loop, such as SB or Mosfet.

I understand what your saying. Seeing that the system is basically prime 95 stable at 3.6ghz and I run it at 3.2ghz I won't be changing the order any time soon. Perhaps when I need to OC the cpu over 3.6 I'll change the order around. I kind of like the gpu temps as it is even though it really doesn't need to be that low.

What's also strange is that I checked my temps this morning and look at this.
Highest core on the quad at 3.2 is 25c (33c previously) and on the gpu it's 21c (29c before). So
a total of 8c diffence without changing anything.

newidletemps.jpg

I'm thinking maybe the MX-2 thermal paste needed a little curing time perhaps, or perhaps
it has more to do with ambient temps.Note that I used MX-2 on both the gpus and cpu.

Back