XPPro BSOD.

Ryland

2[H]4U
I am suddenly getting a BSOD a few times a day and when I check my event log I have:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Save Dump
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 7/17/2006
Time: 9:08:08 PM
User: N/A
Computer: HOME-COMPUTER
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x100000d1 (0x0000001b, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xba9a902c). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini071706-03.dmp.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Dumpchk isn't really telling me much either. Any ideas from anyone?

BSODs are usually either a failing component or bad drivers. What BSOD is it saying? IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL?

Have you installed any software/drivers lately?

if nothing was installed, maybe search for spyware/malware. perhaps something installed some behind the scenes software and is mucking up windows.

If no spyware, try running Prime95 and/or MemTest x86 and see if it passes all the tests. If Prime95 fails, it could be mobo/cpu/memory. If MemTest x86 fails, possibly memory is bad.

Any overclocking?

The BSOD flashes by too quick to see the code. I have the memory dump and it originally pointed at kmixer.sys so I reinstalled my audio drivers but that hasn't helped. I just did a sweep for spyware and didn't pick up any with spy sweeper.

No new hardware was installed and I uninstalled both of the new pieces of software to see if they are the culprit but it is still rebooting.

Goto to the Start Up and Recovery section of the Advanced System Properties. Make sure Automatic Restart is unchecked. This should allow you to catch the BSOD.

The BSOD probably won't tell you anything. The easier (and more accurate) way to troubleshoot this is to download Windows Debugger (from microsoft) and open the dump file (C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini071706 -03.dmp.). The dump file should tell you what driver is causing the problem, or it will give a more detailed error code to narrow down the failure.

The BSOD usually gives you 2 pieces of information that can help you troubleshoot. The Error in all caps (ex. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) and the driver that caused the failure ,usually the last thing on line 3 or 4 (can't remember exactly).

Spazilton said:
Goto to the Start Up and Recovery section of the Advanced System Properties. Make sure Automatic Restart is unchecked. This should allow you to catch the BSOD.
I really wish more people would do this right after installing XP.

I didn't know about being able to uncheck the auto restart and will do it. I did install and run dumpchk.exe against the dump files and it listed kmixer.sys and when googled it looked like the culprit so I reinstalled my audio drivers (as was shown to be the "Fix") but the machine is still rebooting. Dumpchk didn't seem to point to a specific driver as being the problem but gave a list of drivers that were unloaded last (which is where I got kmixer.sys from). I will look at the dumpchk again though.

Nope, I missed the sticky possibly because it is not showing up at the top of the forum.

The culprit is Spy Sweeper. Late last week I upgraded to v5 which come to find out causes some machines to BSOD. I now have a ticket open with webroot.

Thanks all!

It's one of the articles linked in the "FAQ" sticky.

I see it there. I know where to look when my system starts BSODing on me next time. At least now it will stay on the BSOD so that I can troubleshoot it.

Ryland said:
Nope, I missed the sticky possibly because it is not showing up at the top of the forum.

The culprit is Spy Sweeper. Late last week I upgraded to v5 which come to find out causes some machines to BSOD. I now have a ticket open with webroot.

Thanks all!

You know I had the same problem when I installed the new v5 of Spy Sweeper. They got back to me and told me to uninstall it with there utility and download a new copy of it to re-install. It turns out, after I ran a scan that I had a rootkit virus on my machine by the name of xalhbkwd.sys and xalhbkwd.d1l. They were both in the system32\drivers directory.

I have no clue where this came from since I had Kaspersky AV and Spy Sweeper were installed and running. Seems they both did not catch it.

I removed the rootkit and still had troubles so I reformatted and reinstalled that crappy v5. It turns out that v5 is the culprit for the lock-ups and BSoD's. I reformatted again but installed v4.5 and everything works fine. I re-opened my trouble ticket with Webroot and am awaiting their reply.

I have a feeling that I will be reinstalling 4.5 soon. I keep shutting down SpySweeper each time my computer starts so that it doesn't BSOD on me.

I resubmitted my trouble ticket to Webroot and they told me to call their tech support number. I did and waited for 30 minutes on hold. After speaking them for a long time, I am going to make a long story short. They are saying that the keylogger shield portion of their software is eating up system resources. Supposedly disabling this feature should fix the issue and they said they are working on a fix.

On another note, have you tried installing any other programs while you had v5 enabled? If so, have you been getting errors from the install process in regards to missing files? I did while running v5.

Back