• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

XpertVision GF4 MX440 = Lightin Fast

Chaballaman

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 26, 2001
Messages
1,515
I had couple of GF4 MX440s ages ago (AGPx4 version) and they weren't too bad in performance 4 da money. (about half the perf of GF4 Ti4200)
I also had a FX5200, it was about same speed, bit slower than MX440 cos 128MB Sparkle FX5200 was set at 250/333 instead 250/400 rated by Nvidia. so i had to get rid of the POS 5200 asap.

Anyway new 64MB XpertVision GF4 MX440 i got is AGPx8 version and its a REAL POS.
The card is set at 275/285 instead 275/512 rated by Nvidia. :(
I was able to o/c the 5ns mem to 382mhz (max allowed by powerstrip) but still way slower than old GF4 MX440 AGPx4 (275/400).
I thought it would be around 30% faster than old MX440 but its actually 40% slower than old MX440 which makes it really slow..
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/index.html
I think it might be 64bit instead of 128bit.. even my old 9500@9700 is like 10 times faster..
I never bought XpertVision b4, i'll NEVER buy 1 again..

Just let u guys know how slow this card is:
3DMark01 - 1600, 3DMark03 - 90 (Athlon XP3200+, 512MB PC3200, MX440 AGPx8 275/285)
 
does anyone buy these cards actually expecting them to perform well?

i have a gf4 420pci(got it reaaaaal cheap) in my backup box(1.5Ghz P4Willy/512mb rdram), but then all it does is serve movies/mp3s and is a loaner box for visitors...plays CS and MW4 well enough at 800x600 i suppose :)
 
You do realize that ALL version of the GF4 MX series perform like total crap?
 
I know how GF4 MX440 performs, I had two.. but the new one, at least XpertVision one is about 40% slower than old GF4 MX440 AGPx4, and about 60% slower than normal GF4 MX440 AGPx8 275/512 cos its set at 275/285 and 64bit memory bus instead of 128bit memory bus... I was gonna get 9800Pro but was going to save bit more for 6800 or x800 so decided to get the MX440 in a mean while (month or so) thinking it should be good for Need For Speed or Warcraft 3 but since its about 60% slower than i expected its only good for watching dvds.. I had XP1800+ and MX440 AGPx4 setup while back it was much faster on games, 3dmarks.. :(
 
i had a gf4MX-420 as a backup card, damn was it slow... i could barely play wolf-ET with it.
 
this XpertVision GF4 MX440 is really F#$*(#.

my friends MX440 (AGPx8) on XP1900+, 512m pc3200 get well over 5000 3dmark01 on default setting, no overclock, high quality image setting. (everything stock)

my XpertVision MX440 (AGPx8) on XP2500+ (o/c 220x11), 1GB PC3200 (220 cas2), video card o/c 300/380 (25 on gpu, 100 on memory) on high performance image setting only get bit over 2000 3dmark01.

i really don't unstanderstand why the dumb fxxks at XpertVision are selling underclocked card.. especially when the card is already slow at default, n the 5ns memory can easily run 400mhz+.. i sent few emails to diff parts of XpertVision but didn't even get a reply.. XpertVision = Excellent customer support and great product. :(
 
1st can you please speak English? I can't read ebonics all that well and what I can understand is annoying as hell. When you spend $40 on a video card what exactly are you expecting from it? And when you say they rate that RAM at 285 I'm sure they are using DDR so it is 570Mhz effective. Seems to be on the high side, but that's my guess.
 
Heh, SOME GF4 MX440's are capable of 10k in 3dmark01, actually...

Too bad that thoseones are hard to find now...

MX460's are kinda cool as well.

DX7 games up to UT2k3 IMO play pretty well on the "for real" ones, even when installed in lowlier systems which only give it capability for ~5k in 3dmark01...

But there's so many newer games out now that having a pure DX7 card just doesn't make sense... Unless your building a ~ year 2000/2001 retro rig for games out back then (kt133a/Tbird 1.33/512mb SDRAM for AvP2, Max Payne, Serious Sam2, Oni, RTCW etc...), it's smarter to have at the bare minimum an overclockable GF3 or 8500/TRUE 9100...

... But then throw farcry and Doom3 into the equation and we're talkin R300/nv30 at the bare minimum...

It's good to see technology movin forward... but its a shame that cards with decent capabilities have to go by the wayside... and at teh same time it's a shame that crap cards have to be manufactured that offer piss poor performance... some of those GF4 benchmarks above, ummm, I think I may have done better with a GF2mx200 PCI to tell you the truth... bleh.

--- I think the most available "true" GF4MX440's are made by eVGA ---
 
Never use "GF4 MX" and "lightning" in the same sentence unless you're talking about a strike frying your equipment. :p
 
"1st can you please speak English? I can't read ebonics all that well and what I can understand is annoying as hell."
I didnt beg to u read retard, dont read if u cant.

"When you spend $40 on a video card what exactly are you expecting from it? And when you say they rate that RAM at 285 I'm sure they are using DDR so it is 570Mhz effective. Seems to be on the high side, but that's my guess."
RAM is running 285mhz SDR not DDR so u r wrong.
I expect $40 card to perform like $40 card but it performs like $15 card so thats why im pissed off. I'm gonna get new card soon.. it might be $400 but if it performs like $150 card i'll be pissed off again.. no more XpertVision.
 
joemama said:
Never use "GF4 MX" and "lightning" in the same sentence unless you're talking about a strike frying your equipment. :p

AHHAHAHAHA
Good one. Another way to use those two words in a sentence: "I wish lightning would strike and fry my POS GF4 MX so I could get a real video card"

Seriously, though. I bought a mx440 for my grandma's computer and it was almost too slow for HER...heh.
 
Haha, nice thread.

You are a champ for sitting through 3dmark03 on a GF4 MX card.
 
Back
Top