XPC mods/cooling ideas...

jaxx

n00b
i bought a SN45G off of a online outlet store and i was always slightly happy about the temps, i put in a smart fan 2, which is really a tornado, this is my first computer that i have built and i love it, but the problem is that when i turn obsessed with something i try to perfect it in any way that i can.... ok enough of my rambling...my ideas:

1-Mount 2 or 4 40mm fans on the sides of my XPC, are the holes lined, err, sized up perfectly?(ie, are they 40mm in one direction?) or do i need to drill?

2-Ive seen that monster with the 120mm fan on the back, but i dont want to lose portability with my XPC... i could carry it on the outside of the case that i came in tho... but i still dont want it to sound like a tornado...

3-Im gonna cut the fan grill off the back(maybe, i love to get a few degrees here and there)... put in a old regular circular fan grill

4-power supply, the SilentX 250 watt, i might put some 10mm cold cathodes in my computer... and to handle the extra fans and even make the powersupply cooler...

5-XP mobile... i dont know about the cooling problem, but they seem to overclock very well... i have a 2500+ barton desktop now.

6-drive cage, i saw a drive cage with the HDD mounted sideways, and i want to do that, i dont remember where i saw it tho... :( i dont know how i would build the new one, i was thinking plexiglass, or something similar, something that is easier to work with than metal... and then have 90' metal bends connecting them... or if i can, just buy a few more, if not another drive cage off ebay or what not... we'll see, i would probly do that to put a HSF and get rid of the ICE system, probly put that Zalman with those fins all over the place, not the flower one.

7-ducting mod... i dont know if this will help temps, but i have one laying around in my room... i was thinking about putting it on the inside of the case facing down, i dont even know if it will fit

8-artic silver termal paste, thats a given, im using the one that was supplied with the XPC...

9-a fan controller, i know this wont help out the tempature, but i will get it if i get the 2 fans on the side, now all i have is the manual controller sticking out of a--the pci slot in the back, i drilled a hole then used double sided tape.

10-smaller CD/DVD drive, i want one thats not as long, i dont know where i could find specs of this...

11-vantec fan vibration dampener kit, have u used one? what do u think?

anything else?
what do u guys think?
i dont want to mod to much...unless i have a back up just incase :D

ok, thanks in advanced, i love the fourms here... just been browsing for a while, then desided to register and post...

more info-
SN45G(v1)
2500+ XP barton core
5600 256 ram
512 kingMAX 2700
80GB caviar WD 8 mb(soon to upgrade to a raptor, ill have to get a SATA controller and a fan controller to get rid of the taken up PCI slot, the big one... maybe put the old one outside the case for storage...in a external drive enclosure...)

btw, i would have done alot of these mods already, but im not in the US right now, im in brazil :D :p so i just have time to think... and dream...

i guess thats it.

jaxx

Back