xp90 + arctic silver 5

SolitaryTurnip

Weaksauce
Sorry if this was brought up before, but I couldn't find anything about it...

The AS5 instructions say to put the dab in the middle of the IHS and lower the heatsink straight down onto it, but the xp90 instructions have you lower it at an angle. What's the best way to use AS5 with an xp90? I just put a dot in the middle and followed the xp90 instructions... is that going to give me poor contact?

Thanks in advance.

i just placed a small amount in the middle then lowered the xp-90 according to the instructions. the contact it will give you will be fine and the artic silver will spread out over time. also the artic silver doesn't have to cover the entire cpu.

did u "tint" the bottom of the heatsink? is that still part of the process? cause i did with my xp-90c

but it certainly wouldnt hurt to tint the heatsink, just preps the surface a little better and fill in the microscopics gaps.

fluxion said:
but it certainly wouldnt hurt to tint the heatsink, just preps the surface a little better and fill in the microscopics gaps.
this is true... it's not necessary, but if you're using AS5 and an XP-90 chances are you're jonesing for low temperatures, and this will definitely get them lower!

dingobiatch said:
what the hell is tinting? if it can help, i want to know how to do it. :-P
Twist ur heatsink right to left few times to avoid air pocket inside the paste. Does this answer ur question? :p

haha yes, thanks. at first i was like... tinting as in.. window tinting? ehh??
actually wait, i was told that when i apply artic silver, i should put a dot down and then spread it evenly over the whole thing with something like a credit card. does the dot and push down the heatsink method work as well?

Oh, that's what tinting is... I was thinking it was something different. Well, I tried, but I really couldn't turn it much at all once I had it on.

dingobiatch said:
haha yes, thanks. at first i was like... tinting as in.. window tinting? ehh??
actually wait, i was told that when i apply artic silver, i should put a dot down and then spread it evenly over the whole thing with something like a credit card. does the dot and push down the heatsink method work as well?

No, the credit card thing does not work as well.

One tiny drop in the center of the CPU, snap the XP-90 in place.

AS has complete instructions on their site if you are in doubt :)

Tinting is when you put a small amount on the HS and put you finger in a plastic bag and smear the paste all around. You then wipe most of it off with a lint free cloth such as a coffee filter. The thinking is that what is left on the HS fills in the little gaps. It leaves a dark patch on the HS so this is why its called tinting.

yes, twisting the heatsink is something different to get rid of air pockets. alot of times it's not possible to twist the heatsink in place though so most people get by fine without it.

I'm using this exact setup right now, and my temps are great (36-38 idle, 43-45 load). I smeared the XP-90 base with the AS 5 (1/2 a BB size), then wiped it off, and put another 1/2 BB dollop on the center of the CPU. Works great.

Back