xp64 ... so, is it safe?

Jason711

Supreme [H]ardness
heh.. was wondering how things are currently with xp64. would it be best to wait for a service pack?

the drivers and all that are up to snuff? (sorry, i havent been following it much.. just wanted a couple quick opinions)

yay.. post 4,000.

Jason711 said:
the drivers and all that are up to snuff? (sorry, i havent been following it much.. just wanted a couple quick opinions)

yay.. post 4,000.
Holy lack of information, Batman. None of us have ESP to tell what hardware/software is in use for your system. Research the drivers for the hardware and the compatibility of the software you plan to use. Then you will have your answer. For some people it's yes. For others, it's a big red NO.

hmm.. i think the only one i may have to worry about is my montego ddl...

I have been surprised by the number of drivers that are built in. I could never find 64 bit drivers for my Wireless Optical Desktop so I never installed....last night got bored figured what the hell I'll see if they are built in....plugged it in and it was supported right away.........none of the crappy install process from XP PRO 32bit....I was happy.

I have it installed on a new test box and I would rate it at a Beta 2 stage. The driver support and applications are slow to adapt and you have to take what you can get to work at this point. I will give it an A+ on being snappy, but other than it's speed, it's just a slightly less useful Windows XP in my book at this point.

MajorDomo said:
I have it installed on a new test box and I would rate it at a Beta 2 stage. The driver support and applications are slow to adapt and you have to take what you can get to work at this point. I will give it an A+ on being snappy, but other than it's speed, it's just a slightly less useful Windows XP in my book at this point.

ah.. thanks for the insight. :)

nobody has any network drivers so Im figuring nobody else can access your box.

The driver scene needs work.

I just installed x64 on my new rig a couple of weeks ago, VERY quick. However I couldn't find working drivers for the mobo, there were drivers, but they locked each and game I ran. I tried several versions of drivers before I threw in the towel and loaded XP (I really needed to find out if the lock was hardware related).

Anyways, I'm going to nuke XP and load XP64 again this weekend with my newfound driver knowledge and see where that gets me.,

amd_guru said:
nobody has any network drivers so Im figuring nobody else can access your box.

ASUS K8V-SE Deluxe has the Marvell gigabit drivers :p

Um, I personally skipping XP64 until they have 64bit versions of Photoshop, Premier, etc, etc...

To be honest, I tested out 98se, Me, 2000 and XP and this version is probably the best at it's stage. When the software companies finally get oiff their collective asses and catch up with the flow, it will be probably the best OS Microsoft has produced to date.

im waiting for the day.. i have already decided to not go with vista. :)

Back