XP32Bit trade-up to XP64?

The only performance benefits you will see with a 64bit versions are driver incompadibilities. ;)

i know it did... and i remeber.. but i followed a new link that had it back up for download only... so maybe it exhists again

honestly... i just formated my comp after having x64... it use to work great on a 7200 drive... i put it on a 10k drive and it slowed down. i find its good sometimes, evil at other times lol.

it does not play video well.... i tried ffdshow and geforce drivers and it was poop.

however, if you play valve games... hl2 is now 64bit!

What windows 64 do you have. The early version had issues playing certain types of video but that all has been resolved. If your using 1289 than it will be an issue. The final release version works very well. I was having all sorts of issues and when I finaly recieved the official release version, all was well.

Well, If you mean purchasing Windows 64 then yes. I would wait for Vista to release later this year. It will be released in both 32 and 64 bit versions. Vista 64 bit (Longhorn) will have better driver support than windows 64. If your hell bent on Windows 64 now then check out the forums at planetamd 64. There are topics that will help you with Windows xp 64 as well as driver downloads.

The other problem with that program was, once you loaded XP64 and realized you had a major problem with it...app or driver incompatibility (which is very common), you couldn't go backwards and revert to your XP32 disc.

There's still no compelling reason to go to XP64 just yet. Unless you get it dirt cheap from a place you work at, then it's really not worth the cash just yet.

Incompatability is not "Very Common" anymore. Most companies provide 64 bit drivers and since the release version, I havent had any issues with programs. Some games, such as doom3 and a few others, have issues but there is a patch to fix.

James24 said:
Incompatability is not "Very Common" anymore. Most companies provide 64 bit drivers and since the release version, I havent had any issues with programs. Some games, such as doom3 and a few others, have issues but there is a patch to fix.

But was all that worth the 1% performance gain you got? Probably not. Especially since the OP will have to buy a new copy for $150.

It's more than 1%, more like 5 to10% increase in performance. Was it worth it??? I dont know but I had been running it since the first Beta release and worked through all the issues. But it's like I said, he should wait for Vista to release later this year unless he is hell bent on it now.

Is strapping a $250 water cooling system worth it over a $30 heatsink? I think not. It's the bleeding edge, it's what we like.

Why not spend $$ on a new product that gives a 1-5% performance increase? We pay $300 more for a 10% increase on video cards... Exaggeration, I know... But, the concept is the same. We do it because we love it. It's new. We gotta have it.

A new mouse: $100. :D Does it increase performance? Nope. But, it's a great mouse!

S1nF1xx said:
But was all that worth the 1% performance gain you got? Probably not. Especially since the OP will have to buy a new copy for $150.
Trial is free, and the way some people reinstall around here the x day limit ain't going to affect them. You can also reinstall until vista comes out, and it'll be more worth it to lay down cash for the 64 bit version of that OS.

Woah people. Woah.........woah.........woah........this is not my Batman glass Lois. :p

I'm not saying you shouldn't upgrade to 64bit. Just saying that there still are plenty of bugs with drivers or missing drivers alltogether. And the fact that there aren't many full 64bit apps out there makes the upgrade to XP 64 negligable. Especially for people who don't want to be on the bleeding edge, but think that because it's 64bit it's gonna run twice as fast as 32bit OSs.

But in my mind, XP 64 is still beta software since driver and application support is less than stellar. I'll eventually give in, when I can play games in full 64 bit glory. :D

S1nF1xx said:
But in my mind, XP 64 is still beta software since driver and application support is less than stellar. I'll eventually give in, when I can play games in full 64 bit glory. :D
*points and laughs at n00b running 32 bit*

:p

I think it's a bit harsh to say beta, it performs nothing like a beta OS, or beta drivers (they outperform 32 bit ones).

Buggy? Sure. Got a way to go? Sure. Am I spliiting hairs? Maybe. ;)

Get off my back damn it! :p

Naw, it's definately not a true beta, nor am I gonna argue it is. It's just how my sick mind works. :) But I wouldn't trade my nice stable XP 32 for a 64 bit version that isn't fully up to par yet with driver support. Vista may be another story. I'll wait and see.

I use WinPro x64 on my X2 4200 box, Abit AV8 and an x850XT without any issues at all. Of course, I use it for image editing and a few other applications (photoshop cs, MS Office), but the games I have run on it so far have worked without any real issues... except for that Quake 4 Demo I tried to load. :mad: That took a dump big time...

Other than that, its *fast* and smooth as butter. :cool:

Ax

Back