• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

XP1600+ vs. Athlon1200 performance?

Joined
Mar 11, 2003
Messages
545
I dont know much about AMD's scheme here, so I would appreciate any help with the subject. I see that the 1600 is clocked at 1050mhz versus the 1200 @1.2. Whats the deal? Would this XP+ perform better than the regular 1200? All I am using either processor for is in my media server to store and steam my DVD backups to my two workstations and the TV's in the house. No gaming or apps being run on it really. But for simple things like defrag and file transfers on my network, would it make any difference of the two?
 
first, the 1600 should be 1.4ghz, (10.5x133, not 10.5x100).

If you're actually ripping the DVDs on that comptuer, I'd go for the 1600+, it'll be a little faster.
If you're doing nothing more than streaming the DVDs, either CPU is more than enough horsepower for you.
 
Well it seems to be locked at 100 for some reason. I tried to do 133 and it wont go. I know it should, but it wont. Im using a gigabyte GA-7DX with the latest BIOS. Supposed to run up to like a 2100+. I just tried it at 133 again and it still says 1025 on POST. Any ideas?
 
does the motherboard have a seperate setting (jumper or BIOS option) for CPU freq and FSB/memory?
 
should try a 2800+ 2500+ 2600+ those would gain a lot more room for expandibility
 
The athlonxp chip will get you better performance in SSE optimized apps, since it supports SSE, also its got better data prefetch, ect. I think you'd be better off buying a 1800mhz Duron, because its cheap, and a great overclocker.
 
look in the area around the northbridge, you will see a set of jumpers, you can set it for 100/112/133/140/150/auto. The auto setting should work for you. If not try the 133. Those boards are very stable but finicky to set up due to everything being a jumper.
 
I thought all the clocking is done in the BIOS? So its the jumpers instead? I'll have to look. THX!
 
I used a GA7-DXR for years. Its on the jumpers. If you read the schematics on the board they will tell you how to set things. You can get by on that board without a manual. Once you have things set I would suggest not changing it, one bad setting will have you scratching your head for hours. Good luck.
 
right on Fred. I found the jumper. Saw the print on the board for one of the older versions, and I was lookng for switch one, then after some more searching though all the cables, found teh ver3.0 print for jumper 51 I think it was for 100/133. It was just tough to see it since I have 6 HDD's and their cables in the way. But I got it now and it now says 1600+ on POST and AMD yada yada.....1400mhz. Thanx for all the help out there.
 
Back
Top