XP wont save my settings? what the heck?

The Chosen One

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi guys...following on from this thread: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1120857

Iam now back into my original install (kind of). It deleted my user account, but left all my files, so i repointed teh new account (in registry) to all my old folders so it used all my local settings and app data etc.

So now it all appears to be the same...BUT i cant change any settings.

Like if i want to view hidden and system files...i go into the menu to change it so i can...click apply it says its done...but it doesnt do anything...and i go back in and its still set to 'do not show"

it does this for everything. I cant change the background, i cant change the default sound card, i cant setup WMP10, etc etc etc.

Does anyone have any ideas what the hell is happening now? God i wish i never tried to do a 'repair'...it wasnt even working that bad..ffs.

Hmm okay, ill give that a try.

Because i cant see hidden files (and cant change the settings) im just taking ownership of the entire Username folder. Is this okay?

Also, would taking ownership of \Windows be a help? as it seems to have issues making changes to the registry too though this may be via the local settings or app data sections of the Username folder i suppose.

wohooo! its fixed!

in registry i had to adjust the permissions to allow my user to access them!.

Thanks for the help,

cheers,

Back